1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Property Belongs To Whom?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SeekingMind, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

This is the story of every other middleclass Indian family. Especially the families who do not talk about property/ expense distribution thinking that its ok to take more money from the child who is doing better and distribute it to the lesseer previleged ones. At this point, since your FIL's brother is no more, we do not know what his plans were.

IMHO, if your FIL's brother has spent just about the same amount of money on each of the daughter's wedding and the land on which the house was constructed, his son is right in claiming the whole of the property. Expenses for a simple wedding can be anywhere from 1.5 lakhs to 5 lakhs, depending on the gifts/jewellery exchanged and number of guests invited. Besides that everytime married daughter visits her parents house, she will be gifted with something or the other. If your FIL has invested about the same amount on the land, the son is not wrong in expecting 100 % for himself.Moreover he has invested on it as well. Believe me, 12 lakhs is a big amount of money, moreso a decade ago.

If the son is not interested in taking care of his mother, is he willing to bear the expenses. If not, the daughter who is in India can go to court and demand her share of the property, so that she can atleast cover the expenses that go into taking care of her mother.

I am pretty sure, most NRI's plan to go back to India after a few years in USA. But most of them stay back. And its not easy to get a vacation every few months. He may have had his own reasons for not making frequent visits to India. Good wellpaying jobs are hard to come by. And when he has a family of his own, he may not be willing to tske risks especially if he is the only one who works in the family.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

Here is the update.... The son has taken the mother to US recently. He told my FIL that he plans to keep her in US for 6 months. Few days back, he told the mother to tell the daughters that if the daughters don't forego their right on the property then he is not not going to allow the mother to visit her daughters neither the daughters are allowed to see the mother.
    When my FIL asked whether he is planning to keep the mother with him permanantly, he said he will think over it. But, after 6 months when the mother returns to India, he will make some arrangement for her but make sure the daughters are not allowed to visit her. The old lady is worried and upset. She called my FIL and told this. My FIL is also disturbed. The daughter asked her mother not to bother about this and just be calm.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

with that kind of son, don't know how that 6 months will pass for her, there in her sons place.
    even govt passes laws about women rights to get a share in property, with this kind of family politics, what can happen?

momsky likes this.
  4. SeekingMind

Can the daughter file a police compliant in India that mother wants to live in Inida but son is threatening that if the daughters dont sign then he will extend the visa or even apply for her green card so that she stays in US and daughters can't meet her neither mother can go to daughters places. The old lady doesnt want to live in US. She wants to live in India near to her daughter. I am shocked like anyone else but I told my FIL not to get panicky over this since he seems to be only threatening. Just wanted to know if the daughters threatening him back with police compliant will work or not? After all the children are trying to do everything against the mothers wishes.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I am still at a loss to understand why u are not open to the idea of a lawyer but are ok with filing a police complaint?
    This is a very straight forward case and a lawyer can easily put a stay on any sale until the issue is resolved. If this is the stand taken by the sibling then talks of reconciliation or family politics dragged into the open is probably moot .

SeekingMind and dnormx01 like this.
  6. SeekingMind

As per what the ILites here said the property belongs equally to the mother and her 3 children. And that is what law also says. But son is not willing to this. He wants the property to be on his name.

7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

He wants it all and he cant have it. And there is no question of dividing it unless its sold and it cannot be sold until all 4 of them sign. Its that simple. The son cannot take the mother physically anywhere unless she is willing. She just stays put where ever she is . What the daughter cannot do is build a house on the existing structure when there is a litigation law suit. She has to bite the bullet and move closer to the mother and wait for her sibling to realize that there is nothing much he can do.

SGBV, Sparkle, KashmirFlower and 2 others like this.
  8. SeekingMind

Since now the property is on the deceased fathers name, how do they get in on their names, the wife and the children? Can they do it or wait till they decide to sell it?

9. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

Now that the guy has no ethics at all and has stooped so low to blackmail an old lady, it's first of all time to consult the lawyer.

Let the sister come and occupy the first floor. If he won't allow mom to meet me, I won't move out, should be her stand. When the house is occupied, what mother, son and family will land in India.

As for the process, I think first the property should be registered in all their names/ mother's name and then the division happens. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And since the other sister lives in the US, can she take any legal action there against the brother or at least threaten him of consequences to such blackmail? I don't know the laws there but the guy should be cornered on all sides, then he will understand how it feels to be threatened by kin.

SeekingMind and KashmirFlower like this.
  10. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, The son and daughter are both acting smart here. The son feels entitled becoz he spent for construction. Daughter becoz well she is a daughter and again entitled( remodeling house with such situation).becoz she took care of parents. Nobody wins in this case. The smart thing wud have been your FIL's brother writing a will when he was alive.

Whatever your FIL or anybody thinks, this matter has to go to court. The son is acting like a spoilt brat by telling he will keep his mom in US or wont allow his sister to see mom if she is in India. Is he going to be with her 24/7. Then how can he do it. I am sure he must have pushed the mom to sign away the house in US. But the matter is bigger than confining mom or having her with him in US. The sisters signature is needed to settle the property.With wherever mom is or with her signature. The son is talking in hot air.

Now , this maybe a long shot, but your FIL can convince his SIL to talk to all kids and say that she will make a will forgoing her share provided upon her passing the house can be equally divided between sisters and son.If the property is worth 1.5 crore then 3 shares is almost 50 lakhs each. In that way the mom gets to stay in the house and the property matter is settled. Cant say amicably but just settled.

Nobody is happy in property matters.Unless you are cheeky and smart to usurp everything before parents pass everybody leaves with sour taste in mouth.

My FIL himself passed without a will. My SIL and BIL smartly convinced hubby to sign away major share telling taking care of MIL and FIL . My BIL never left home and being in Indian metro saved considerably in terms of rent. Same with my SIL but they walked away with 90% share and hubby got peanuts. No amount of fights, crying, screaming worked. My FIL inspite of stroke never saw reason to write a will. Now after all this , I don't talk to SIL, co sis or BIL. Nor they do to me.The property matter is just a small matter, but many things like trying to separate my hubby from me constantly has taken its toll on our relationship and now its better not talking.

No amount of your FIL thinking about relatives or society will work, becoz it will come to head soon . I think the mom can call son to India and contact lawyer to draw up papers . If son objects better go to court and have court resolve it. Good Luck.

SeekingMind likes this.