1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What To Do With Desi Clothes?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Amica, Sep 28, 2016.

1. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

I once converted a Saree into table liners and matching chair drapes.

Best thing to do is sell it online.

KashmirFlower and Amica like this.
  2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Thank you, @dimhere, @OCdesigirl, @poovai, @madras2018, @anika987, @JustAnotherMom, @kcb, @Rihana, @NeerjaC and @dnormx01 for your brilliant suggestions! [​IMG]

Taking them to India is not an option. Although I'd love to see everyone's faces if I show up in India with suitcases full of rejected Indian clothes! :smilingimp: :lol:

A garage sale sounds intriguing. What do you do if a customer asks to use your loo? What if someone gets um aggressive? :fearful:

Donation is cool. Thanks for suggesting Maitri :thumbsup:. Are there other organizations that take desi clothes, too?

Upcycling is a great idea. I'll look for sewers and crafters who might be interested.

Selling on ebay and etsy are great suggestions, but a lot of work, no? :blush:

I'm taping this to the inside of all my India suitcases. I wish I had done this long ago.

I worry that people will get offended if I offer them my rejects. :worried:

Ooh! It didn't occur to me that non-Indians might want them.

Craigslist is scary — way too many horror stories! :fearscream:

Thanks, everyone! I learned something valuable today: I need to stop letting my fear of weirdos dictate my actions. :shakehead:

poovai and madras2018 like this.
  3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Interesting .. rarely seen such things happen. But you could price things real cheap like $5 or could give it away for free (they really are doing a favor by taking the problem off your hands) or you can keep a drop box where ppl pay what they feel like. Anyway wanted to mention - keep an eye out for indophiles. A caucasian friend of mine is a huge indophile and gladly accepts my unused sarees or salwars that catches her fancy. Believe it or not, her stack of indian clothes is bigger than mine !!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    vaidehi71, dimhere and Amica like this.
  4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

@madras2018
    great ideas,
    Also cotton/cotton silk ones can be converted as table mats with quit work, and also as table napkins. Also running cloth. With right combination it can be a big click.
    Running Cloth On Dining Table - Yahoo Image Search Results

Also for spring bright colored ones and for winter dark colors ones can go as window curtains. But needs lot of creativity and work to do with your stitching machine.
    We can try outside tailors for it by sharing our ideas. I will keep them in my mind for my next closet cleaning, don't know when it can happen, but don't see in near future.

vaidehi71, madras2018 and Amica like this.
  5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

You don't have to offer to your friends directly. You can casually mention to them that you have some unworn sarees / dresses and ask for their ideas, same way you asked in IL.

May be if they are interested, they can take those.

Amica likes this.
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@kcb thank you! I never thought of asking them like that. I'll start with this. :)