1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Request Inputs From Folks In The Us And Australia

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SathyaVivek, Sep 29, 2016.

1. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

I am in AUS from 2013. I absolutely love it here.
    But yes, Sydney people are not as friendly as we would like them to be - racism might be a big word , I choose to use "unfriendly".
    I am in Melbourne now - working , living with DH and 2 kids. I love this place. So many Indians around. I am a .net developer and got a job in less than a month.
    Job search works differently here. You gotta have a very strong online profile backed up by some nice recommendations. In today's world competition is everywhere in every field. Its how you tackle the market that defines your capability.
    Most of the jobs work via agencies. you can have a look at seek.com to give you an idea of opening at the moment.
    PR rules are relaxed a bit than what it was earlier. Citizenship is not as difficult as in US.
    I find Australia much safer than some parts of the US, but yes every nation has it own positives and negatives.
    It all depends on what are your priorities and what is your lifestyle.

sindmani, monita and SathyaVivek like this.
  2. SathyaVivek

SathyaVivek Senior IL'ite

Thank you. Yes the immigration process is much simpler than that in the US. As I have mentioned in the earlier posts , I absolutely loved being in the US.hubby too. Since we don't have a first hand experience of the life in Australia , it just got me worried. Thanks a lot for your time and inputs.

monita likes this.
  3. SathyaVivek

This is the kind of information I was looking for. With regards to job experience, I have worked in the US and hubby has travelled to and worked in client facing roles in over 3 different countries. Do you think this would give us some advantage in the companies that expect a local Australian experience? What kind of recommendation are we talking here? The ones from our previous managers and companies?

4. SathyaVivek

That is sad. Thanks for telling us about the struggle people migrating to Australia might face. You know , if I could , I would choose US in the blink of an eye. Unfortunately , hubby doesn't seem to have that option right now. Hey and yes , Australian citizens have a cap exempt visa option to US too.

5. SathyaVivek

Thank you so much for the inputs. Job wise I think one of us would definitely have a job and only then travel there while the other person can settle down and start looking for job.

I have had sleepless nights thinking if this move would be good for my daughter. With all the news coverage about the hate crimes way back in 2009 and a murder of the techie in PAramatta park last year , I was so worried.

Good to hear that people like you who stay there for over a decade recommend it for raising a child. Thanks once again

monita likes this.
  6. SathyaVivek

N
    So consultants are one way of looking for a job. Thanks :)

monita likes this.
  7. sbonigala

Yes and No.
    I worked until the day I boarded my flights in India. I worked for a top MNC in India and for clients from US, UK and Malaysia.
    I chose to stay home for a couple of years because DS was 2 and DD was 5 when we moved to Australi. This was DDs first ever culture shock - the english accent at achool was totally new, new people, surroundings, no friends and we did not want to send Ds (aged 2) to child care when we ourselves were adjusting to new lifestyle.
    Later when i started looking for work in 2015, many ppl asked for local exp. I volunteered for a few weeks with an NGO here. It did not help much. Everyone questioned my gap in career.
    We later moved to melbourne for DH's work. I attempted again. Here an agent suggested that I should mention the reason for gap as a part of my resume which I did. In less than a month I got a job.
    what I am trying to say is there are people who do not have local exp and still get jobs. There are ppl who have loads of local exp but have not got jobs. It all depends on how you ace your CV.

By recommendations I mean strong linkedIn presence. There are companies who also look at your facebook profile to estimate what kind of a person is the candidate that came for interview.

monita and SathyaVivek like this.
  8. SathyaVivek

You have been such a great help. Thank you so much.

monita likes this.
  9. sbonigala

anytime. please ask your questions and I shall answer as much as I can.
    I can tell you one thing for sure. Its just the agencies that you have to impress first. Once the agents are happy with you and your CV, then comes your tech skills and interviews. But if the agent is not happy,they will not bother forwarding the CV to the clients.
    Unlike India, where we apply on naukri and monster and we will be bombarded with calls,here its us who will have to call the agents to have a look at our CV and that we applied for so-and-so jobs etc.
    First part of the job interview lies with the agent.

monita likes this.
  10. sbonigala

Also I would totally recommend raising a kid here. I myself am a mom of 2 kids and am happy we moved to Australia. Kids love it here. I know my kids are safer here than elsewhere

monita likes this.