1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Request Inputs From Folks In The Us And Australia

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SathyaVivek, Sep 29, 2016.

1. SathyaVivek

SathyaVivek Senior IL'ite

Thanks . Not sure if getting a job in the Australia is just as easy as getting a job in US

2. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

It depends on whom do you ask! Opportunities are endless in US and hard work is recognized well with bonus, retirement benefits and good friends/lot of social activities. Well established Indian families in major cities. Of course, it will take at least 8-10 years for GC, meanwhile you can buy house and visit India.

Few of my cousins came here few years back and they seems to be doing well.

What I heard, life in AU will be less stressful?

sindmani likes this.
  3. SathyaVivek

Exactly. That is what I am worried about. Having H1 is a great opportunity but not at the cost of sacrificing my husband's career since he would be on H4.

I just want the best for all the 3 of us. Just hoping some of our friends from Australia would provide some info on the job market there and how willing they are to hire someone with a Australian PR

4. SathyaVivek

Hi. Yes. You are right. I have some knowledge about the US related stuff but nothing on the life and job opportunities for Indians in Australia. Really wishing some of our Aussie ILs would throw some light on those.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

No I was a bit unsure about what u meant about H1B and in India for 11 months then realized u have what is called an approval notice .Not stamped.
    I do not know about Australian job market /American esp since I do not have an idea about ur domain.
    My answers will be too generic to be of use. So left it.

6. SathyaVivek

Ahh..ok!

A sw developer with the Java related technologies , framework and design patterns. Have a niche skill too, but I know that niche skill softwares are used in US only and I really don't think they are used in Australia.
    Appreciate your help. Thanks.

7. eternalnomad

eternalnomad Silver IL'ite

You may find that the immigration process for Australia is a lot shorter in the long run.. ie getting permanent residence status and eventually citizenship. I've heard that a green card (US) can take about a decade and even that may drag on. Australian cities consistently come in the top 10 when it comes to quality of life and lifestyle. Crime rate is pretty low, especially gun crime which is definitely different from the US. The proximity to India is a big plus depending on which city you live in. Nowadays there is a relatively large Indian community in all the major cities like Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth etc. A major difference you may notice is the cost of living though - especially house prices in Australian cities are likely to be a lot higher than in the US

sindmani, monita and SathyaVivek like this.
  8. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

I heard negatives from my friend who left good tech job in india and moved to Auz. According to her, non-auz work experience is not counted and that until u get local exp, u will end up doing entry level job. She went with family. Hubby also couldnt find a job esp after 12+ years of exp. they came back in 6 months. Another frnd opened a restaurant after failed job searches. I am speaking on behalf of these frnds...esp women . I have never been there though. You can techically restart ur H1 within 6 years of last leaving it. The remaining part of your H1 doesnt go waste.

SathyaVivek and madras2018 like this.
  9. capricious

capricious New IL'ite

I've been in Australia for 10 years now and we absolutely love it here. Winters are milder than the US. Especially in places like Brisbane and Perth - it feels like you are living in India.

The pay is great if you've got experience but the house prices are much higher in comparison to the US. It is a very safe place to raise kids and you don't have to worry about gun crime ever.

Our reasons to live in Australia were the proximity to home (and Asia), much better working conditions, work life balance, friendly people and weather.

You can have a look at job websites like seek or local government websites to get an idea of the kind of jobs you would get. No one can guarantee the job environment though. I've seen experienced people waiting for 4 months to get a job and inexperienced getting a job within weeks. Really just depends on the timing and your experience.

Good luck.

10. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

I was in Sydney from 2004-2006. I don't know now but when I was there I felt the racism esp. towards people who looked like they have not assimilated themselves into the Australian culture, it's something you don't feel in US, Canada, or UK.

Despite of this, I actually enjoyed living there than here in Toronto. You should really give it a go.

Jobwise, it is the same for most countries like Canada, they prefer somebody with local experience but don't give up. My yougest sil hired a consultant and got a job in Melbourne, just recently she was transferred by the company to UK.

sindmani, monita and SathyaVivek like this.