1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Diagnosed With Depression

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ShabnamF, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Same thoughts as mine and I agree with everything you said here Shanvy. Except suggesting @ShabnamF to use this space to talk or vent. Persons diagnosed with depression needs a support system that listens to them without judgements and accepts them, helps them rise above the situation. She will get 'all' kinds of inputs here, that will not do any good. Right now she needs to be out with her close circle who she can trust and go through the process.
    I am also happy you shared your experience here!

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Sparkle true that. i just hope that people realise that she just needs some good suggestions and no harsh comments.

i am still wondering it is so easy to say deepika dealth depression, karan dealt depression, it is not that easy for the one who is in that situation. as gauri says not many realise the seriousness of what depression means. and i also am worried at the trend of dolling out anti stress and anti depressants. i hear a few who say that they are on anti stressers and anti depressants, the side effects are many.

as a society, we are a generation that does not want to accept a little rejection or failure. the number of suicides, murders,even running away from home just because of a few failures or a hard situation.. we egg them to succeed., we make it sound like failure is the end of life.. i can understand the argument that committing suicide is not easy.

What Predicts Children’s Fixed and Growth Intelligence Mind-Sets? Not Their Parents’ Views of Intelligence but Their Parents’ Views of Failure

3. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

This could have happened in this thread, but it took a lot of digression.

Even in cases where a person comes out of depression successfully, no one except the person can understand the intensity of the problem 100% Depression is a rising issue in our country and it will take time for people to accept that even exists. Realising the seriousness is the next thing. A lot of people label a person as attention-seeker or lazy,putting up an act or something worse when they speak out their feelings. Very true, failure is not the end of life. Sadly that is the way of life for many.

ShabnamF and madras2018 like this.
  4. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Hi All,
    I'm extremely sorry that I have not been responding to your advices and suggestions. Please know that I deeply appreciate and I'm thankful to each one of you for taking the time out and replying to my query in such a detailed way.

I have gained a lot of inputs from your replies and I have decided to take my medicine because it is getting harder and harder for me to get through each day. However, I'm also going to get a second opinion over the weekend and then will take a decision.

madras2018 and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Please Take care and watch this interview.
    Now a days we are pulled in several directions because of highly demanding jobs , relationships , even day-to-day stuff and we have so much to do... We are effected with so much stress. But don't neglect good diet and sleep and exercises which helps in recovering.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    ShabnamF and madras2018 like this.
  6. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Hi Rihana,
    You're right. I'm going to get a 2nd opinion soon. Right now, reading stuff about depression seems like a huge task to me. I'm too busy at work and it's taking all that I have and even more to be able to get through my work day and at the end of the day I'm just eager to climb into my bed n call it a night.
    Also, my broken engagement is not something that's making me depressed.
    Thanks for sharing the poems :)

7. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Thank you :) This is a lot of useful information. Yes, I'm always on the edge. Like I may snap at any moment. Though I hate to admit it, I'm crying a lot. I'm either unable to fall asleep or I'm over sleeping. I find it extremely hard to get out of the bed and it's scaring me that it's getting tougher and tougher. I am having trouble concentrating and recalling things that I just did a few minutes ago. I'm just lost most of the time, like I'm in a different world.

skalluri likes this.
  8. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

@KashmirFlower

Thank you so much for sharing the video. After being diagnosed I often questioned myself that if I can feel okay sometimes and can laugh and be cheerful how can I be depressed. This video and few other articles I have read have made me realise how wrong I was.
    My friend who had insisted that I get help told me that it was very brave of me to go to a doc n get help. After watching this video I now know what she meant. I feel proud of myself for going out and seeking help.

Anyone who is reading this and is going through depression or thinks that they are depressed but are apprehensive about getting help, I urge them to immediately seek help. We do not need to suffer.

Right now, frankly, I am completely hopeless. But from some of the responses I have received here on IL and a few other videos and articles on depression, I feel there is hope.

9. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I am glad that the video and other articles helped you. In chronic health issues, awareness is very helpful and changes the way we help ourselves.

ShabnamF likes this.
  10. Depressedmind19

Depressedmind19 New IL'ite

Hi friend,
    I didn't read others conversation fully.Getting help from a doc is good one ,but before using anti depressants and sleeping pills think twice. too overcome your current stage you need parents or friends help only .I was using anti depressants and sleeping pill for a week . it just caused illusion that we are ok.what ever the situation don't rely on the medications if the issue related to work stress it might help but not to our personal life crisis.

ShabnamF likes this.