1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Request Inputs From Folks In The Us And Australia

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SathyaVivek, Sep 29, 2016.

1. SathyaVivek

SathyaVivek Senior IL'ite

Guys, I need your suggestions. Please guide.

Husband and I work for top MNC in good roles and we have a daughter who is 11 months old and I am still on ML.

I have a valid H1B but my husband doesn't have a US visa. So once I get back to work Should I travel back to the US

Both hubby and I have been to the US separately and have been there for over a year. But now that we have our daughter, I don't want to stay away from him and deprive my daughter the time she spends with her dad . I love my husband and I don't want to stay away from him anymore.

Hubby has a chance to work in Australia, and is asking to extend my ml for leave without pay so he can get a PR and then I can work there too .

So now I have this dilemma? Should we look for consultants who can initiate h1 for hubby or should we go to Australia.

I have been in the US and loved it and have never been to Australia. I dunno how Indians are treated there ? How is the job opportunity in the Aussie land ? Which if these is good for my daughter? So can you guys please provide some suggestions

2. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Lot of Indians in Australia. Lot of nice Indian eateries at that!

People are people everywhere. I believe lot of them are open-minded about foreigners in general.

I think you will love Australia.

SathyaVivek likes this.
  3. SathyaVivek

Thanks a lot for your response. Could you please let me know if the job market is good too?

4. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

That I'm not sure :-(

5. SathyaVivek

Thank you for your response

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

7. SathyaVivek

Umm, did I miss your response ?

8. aishu0001

aishu0001 New IL'ite

You are absolutely taking the right step by not depriving the baby from her dad. Kids needs both parents attention and love.

gknew likes this.
  9. SathyaVivek

I dunno someone messaged asking if am in India on paid leave for 11 months. I came back to India from US in my 7th month. And have been using all my saved leaves and LWP. Hope that cleared

10. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

I think you should also compare ease of getting residency permit in u.s vs australia. Generally speaking u.s holds a lot of pull even for the britons, canadians, australians & europeans. That's a fact. Unless you live in the more elite countries like sweden or switzerland and the like which consistently rank among the worlds best countries to live in.

The issue with u.s is that life on h1b visa can be unstable. Everythings good until the day theres a lay off or the gc process has hit roadblocks etc. H1b also somewhat restricts one's opportunities as not all employers are willing to hire on h1b.

Also compare purchasing power parity in terms of salary & check how much savings are possible for the typical IT salary.

Lastly how far out is the city you will live in & how much does travel time matter to you ? For eg if your job is in west coast in u.s, travel time from india is usually atleast 22 hrs. Could be lesser if your family is in delhi or mumbai where nonstop service is plentiful. In comparison some places like sydney are a mere 13 hrs away. To those who like to make annual trips to india or have their parents visit regularly, such travel time may be important.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    sindmani, curiousgals78 and monita like this.