How And When You Upskill/ Re-skill In Software?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by reca, Sep 28, 2016.

1. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    With the constant innovation happening in IT, it is not enough to be a good worker in the IT industry; one should keep updating technological skills. How and when you manage to upgrade yourself ?
    Regards,
    R

Jey likes this.
  2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP
    I completely get your point and wonder how women who have many outside work responsibilities like kids, kids education and some have other responsibilites too, manage.
    In my case, before my kid was born, learning was usually when project changed and interviewing for new project. Also in between on the job learning always continue but that might not be latest technology, only project need technology. Now with kid, and at stage for looking job, I do not find myself to be able to find anytime to learn. It is very difficult to learn and job searching at the same time and also taking care of kid in the evening. Moreover, there are so many technologies, languages coming that demands and my interests are not aligned so I am confused. At this point, I want to come out of IT field because hard working, intelligent with good knowledge, work alcoholic/work loving, responsible and responsive and being collaborative and cooperative is not just enough. All the works is stars your resume like research, patents or awards or certifications.

anika987 and reca like this.
  3. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello @sanjuruby3 ,
    Nice to read about your learning journey. I totally agree with you that it demands time, hardwork, concentration. I know the challenges in this area. You learn something now and in 3-4 months we are outdated. IT is the most dynamic field ever. If you are on development end, you have daily stand ups, demands to come-up with new features, late night debugging and fixing the issues, Agile methodology etc. I learn 1 hour everyday about the new technologies which interests me. It is natural to get exhausted when you implement something now and change it after 3 months to improve it with new technology. It is challenging.
    In your case with kid I can understand how difficult to upgrade skills. The issue is once we get bitten by the Software bug, we cannot leave it and drift way. This is what I feel. I like to be around software. If you are still interested in this area, you can learn Technical writing and Testing skills which are not easy but can reduce your stress a bit. Search for part time options. These are just my thoughts :)
    Regards,
    R

anika987 likes this.
  4. SathyaVivek

SathyaVivek Senior IL'ite

Learning is a continuous process and I believe we have to reinvent ourselves. Especially with the innovation in the IT. Even I am planning to take hadoop classes.

reca likes this.
  5. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Good to hear you are interested in Big Data/ Data Science ! All the best for Hadoop classes :thumbup:

6. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello Satya,
    We have a new thread called 'Learning group for web technologies'
    Learning Group For Web Technologies
    You can join us here if you are interested :)
    Regards,
    R

7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Btw, How do I find part time options in software? Just asking if any ideas. I do not see any company giving part time in computers/software industry for a development. What development will I do in 20 hrs ( 40 as full time/ week), when 40 hrs /week are not enough.
    I tried looking remote / wfh but nothing. I only see Javascript developers as remote.

I want to move to testing but do not want to learn skills and then beg for testing job...I mean struggle for job since I will no have experience in testing, my chances will be less within my drivable location.
    It is always easier within team/company, switching from 1 role to another I think

reca likes this.
  8. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

I was a full time developer working on Microsoft stack of technologies.I began my career with vb 6.0 and worked up until .net 4.0 while in India.
    But now 2 kids and living in Australia means - I have lots to do here which my maids used to do in India.
    So after giving it a thought I moved out of development - not fully but to some extent.
    I chose to work as a tester/Support dev. Now I earn decent income, have time for family, no stress of deadlines, and have no forced urge to learn latest technologies.
    But having said that - I think if we have the zeal for technology - the learning naturally happens. I mean one does not need to make an effort to learn, if he/she is genuinely interested and have the love for latest tech stuff - they will eventually end up squeezing time .
    You dont need hours and hours to learn - 30mins every night to learn one topic in a latest tech will do.
    Pluralsight has some good course videos.

reca likes this.
  9. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello Sanjuruby3,
    It is not possible to do any development in 20 hours per week. May be you can speak with your Manager for the testing jobs/ technical writing/ support jobs for the products developed in your team. Within a team there might be scope. Since you are experienced, management will put effort to retain you. It is just that you need to explore the possibilities within the company/ try outside. If you have no interest in technology then you need to make use of other skills you have to make income. Complete career shift is quite tricky, that too if you are in a different country.
    If IT is stressing you out, then you may explore different possibilities. Sorry I do not have much idea outside IT. But learning is a pre-requisite for whatever new thing you would like to do.
    Regards,
    R

10. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello @sbonigala,
    You have made the right decision that fits you in IT, at the same time you have balanced your personal life :)
    Good to hear that. You have said it right , just to stop our brains from rusting, we have to brush it now and then.
    If work demands, we have to learn. If learning is not required for the job, still out of our own interest we can learn whats going on in the world on technology. Good day to you !

sbonigala likes this.