1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Permanent Straightening

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by beautifullife30, Sep 27, 2016.

1. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Shiny, silky, smooth, straight hair…..isn't it the dream of every girl?

I just love shiny straight hair. I envy almost all the celebrities who just casually turn their heads around showing off their perfectly groomed hair.

One of my close friends decided to act upon making it a reality for her. Even to this day, I am still unable to understand why she wanted to do it at the first place. She had healthy wavy, thick hair. You could say I was a tad jealous too about her decision.

I have this frizzy, curly unruly hair. No matter how much ever I oil and comb and plait, you can be assured that at least a few strands will be standing on top like a Krishna's feather adornment….

It was a two day process. She spent around 10K for the complete procedure and she did look gorgeous. So, yes, the first few weeks, I had to endure her subtle hints of I-have-better-hair-than-you. She also did spend a lot of time and money on shampoos and conditioners and hair spas on a regular basis. All was good only for the first two months.

The third month was when her nightmare started. As her hair started growing, near the roots the hair started looking very bad. The top half growing hair was not smooth as earlier but coarser while the bottom half of her hair was very straight. Somehow it reminded me of a crow's nest drenched in heavy rains! Am not being mean but that was how it looked. The subsequent hair spas didn’t improve her hair quality. Actually the spas made her lose a lot of hair. The smoothening shampoos and conditioners were not really helpful too. For the rest six to eight months, she kept her hair tied in a bun or a ponytail.

In fact, my company had recruited a lot of college grads. Almost all of them seemed too groomed and pretty during the induction session which happened two months ago. Now, all of them look very bad. With the straightening effect going off, the overall look is not so appealing at all!

I love straightened hair too. During any parties or special occasions, I use a straightener at home to get that look. I would never ever go for a permanent straightening.

I have started trying different home remedies to soften my hair. Curd pack, Coconut milk pack, banana pack are a few packs which I use on a regular basis. My hair is now way healthier than it was earlier, manageable too!

2. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Interesting and useful information @beautifullife30

It is always safe and good to keep the natural beauty. Whatever is given by God is always beautiful than these artificial looks....better we appreciate what we have, instead of spending thousands of rupees on artificial looks and end of the spoiling the natural beauty and original look.

3. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

I would warn anyone against this permanent straitening, My colleague who underwent this lost all the hair. Her head is almost bald now.. After trying to get many methods to get hair back, she is wearing wig now.

Its better to be having average looks for life long than more beautiful just for few days and not beautiful at all for rest of life.

ksuji, madras2018 and kcb like this.
  4. beautifullife30

Yes...i understood the importance of loving my hair and trying to understand its beauty after seeing my friend's experience!

kcb likes this.
  5. beautifullife30

Yes, something similar happened to my friend too.

Infact, there's another colleague who looks so pretty and she did this too. Now, a year later, she's lost 80% of hair and also she chopped off her tresses to jaw level....more like a bob.

However, the hair is ruined and beyond repair. Its sad to see the after effects! But most of these guys go for this treatment again and again. Not sure why they are not able see the long-term effects of it!

MNR likes this.
  6. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

@beautifullife30 timely post ! After years of vascillating on this topic i was very close to giving it a try this week. I experienced envy everytime i wld look at newly straightened locks. But thanks for reminding me of the damage it causes.

What are some natural ways of hair smoothening ?

beautifullife30 likes this.
  7. beautifullife30

Hey @madras2018
    there is - at least as per my knowledge - no home remedies to make hair straighter in just a day or two.

However, consistent use of certain hair packs does bring about a change in your hair. Hair becomes less brittle, more soft and tamable and shiny too. Using it regularly over say an year or so might bring about a gradual change.

1) Banana shake - make a paste of banana and milk together and apply this on hair. The pulp. Nothing or no conditioner can beat this one. The hair is so soft and shiny

2) Curd pack - just apply plain curd on hair. I do this when I am pressed for time. A good conditioner. Helps in curing any scalp infection and prevents dandruff

3) Hot oil massage - I take a Vitamin e capsule and add it to the hot oil and apply it on hair an hour before hair wash. Vitamin e is a very good conditioner

4) Henna - Applying henna every month or once fortnightly makes hair good. Using this consistently makes hair become wavy or straighter than its original texture

I have used the first three options and my hair has now become wavy from curly. My friend has seen amazing results with henna.

Hope this helps!

geethaattiguppe likes this.
  8. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing the information. It was useful.
    I also wanted to straighten my hair but got almost same feedback from people who had already done it. I dropped the idea and use the hot iron straightener occasionally.

9. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Very true !
    I too see so many women who have this poker straight hair and then after a few months the hair starts growing out and then they have half straight and half wavy/curly hair. Their only option is ponytail. But how long !
    At some point of time the pony tail will also have both kinds of hair in it. It really looks like a crows nest drenched in rain.
    I too use a hair straightener once a while if I have some really important appointments at work - may be once in 3-4 months.
    I was so tempted to get this straightening done but was too scared looking at my colleagues hair. It just looks bad and unruly and unkempt.
    I opted for weekly oil massage and I can see lot of difference.
    Would love henna treatment but I catch severe cold everytime I apply henna.
    Melbourne's moody climate is not suitable for henna. :(

10. beautifullife30

I was tempted too but the aftereffects are too much to bear!