1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do I Tackle This?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SukanyaB, Sep 21, 2016.

1. SukanyaB

SukanyaB Senior IL'ite

Okay, so I am super duper irritated, annoyed and angry and everything at this moment.
    And a lot of frustration is about myself too.
    Long story short, I am a working mum of a 18 month old, parents in laws stay with us so they look after baby while I am away. I tried hard to put him in daycare for a few days when he was one but he created a big fuss and won't settle in and in turn husband made a big fuss too as he could not understand why daycare when we have his parents who are willing to look after baby. After a lot of argument I kind of gave in because I really didn't want to see baby cry all day too, and we agreed on getting him back in day care part time when he is around 18 months/2years.
    Not going into details but I haven't got the greatest relationship with my in laws.
    But what's annoying me hard out at this stage is, grandma always teach baby to say baba, bua, dada, didi etc etc, and never maa, masi etc!
    Baby says mumma (very rarely)now but he is saying babba, bubbu all day.
    Is it how it is everywhere? Or am I getting paranoid? They look after him well otherwise, so I guess I should not even complain but those stuff drive me insane. Is he never going to call me ma?

2. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

op if he is well cared then let it go.Eventually he will learn to call ma to or you teach him when you are at home.

I am not sure how things are for every one.

One my close friend left her high paying job because mil was trying hard to turn child against her.MIL started all decision related to baby thinking she has replaced mother.Even at night child would sleep with her instead of going back to his mum.
    Cold war got too intense .Finally my friend left job.

I am pregnant right now.Shortly after pregnancy I need to join job.I am replacing my husband as primary breadwinner in my family.So I dont even have option to leave job and be at home with kid.
    I am worrying about same thing.My mil is kinda of person who feels need to be needed.She has made my husband so much dependent on her because of her insecurities.My husband is nearing 35 but he needs everything in hand including milk ,water,his clothes even at this stage.I am worried she is going to do same with my child because of her insecurities.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  3. priyanka12345

priyanka12345 Silver IL'ite

yes this happens mostly and i have seen it happening to me as well. You can ensure that you keep talking to your baby and teach those words. I know it looks weird that we delivered the baby but more preference is given to husband side ppl. it depends on how ILS are . For now ignore and teach your baby words like maa, masi etc. anyway in long run baby will learn all words and know all relations.

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hello, no one can take the fact away that you are his mother. It is indeed utterly annoying that your ILs act like only their side of the family exists by not at all surprising.

Focus on the end game. Your child needs a lot of love, enough attention, adequate discipline, plenty of stimulation, healthy, timely food and zero screen time for his age. Your ILs are providing that I suppose. You focus your energies on him than on what your ILs are doing/ not doing. Remember they are old school. Your belly aching isn't going to change them.

To fix yoir specific problem, you can can it directly with good humour. Next time your child calls you something else, say in a sing song voice, "mum, task for you for next week. He has to be able to say Maa when he looks at me" and to your son, "dadi is trying so hard to teach you everything. Learn, my son!"

You could solve it innovatively by printing out pictures of your parents, your inlaws, your siblings and your husbands siblings with their families and use it like flash cards for your child.

Now there is loads of information about specific activities you can do with your child that age online. Pick up ideas from there, discuss it without any bitterness - keeping your son as focus - with your mil. Praise the job she does with him instead of big critical.

Buy toys like lego and show him how he can build. Get loads of books and read to him. Take him outdoors as often as possible for a run around. Then encourage your ILs to enable the activities he loves.

Dedicate X hours over weekends to spend with him. If it means housework takes a back seat, so be it.

With some planning our can tackle it. Perhaps your differences with your ILs might even get ironed out when you both bond over your child.

He isn't going to be a toddler for much longer. Enjoy this phase. Rest will fall into place.

5. Roses3

Roses3 Senior IL'ite

Don't worry about these things, When you are home you train your baby to say Mama etc... Getting things done from others is not easy. If they take care of your baby well, then why bother about petty things. Its your baby, you carried it in your womb for 10 months. Nobody can take him away from you. Just relax........ Within a month, he will always be calling mama.......

6. rajkumarxxx

rajkumarxxx Bronze IL'ite

Wishing you all the best, for a happy Motherhood !!

7. bliss5

bliss5 Senior IL'ite

Hello Sukanya
    DON'T WORRY at all..........no one can take mother's place......its just a matter of time.....spend quality time with your baby as much as you can.....take care of her .....love her....In-laws specially MIL do it to hurt you and show as if she is more closer to the baby.....its a fact that she will learn what MIL is teaching but a Mother is the greatest teacher......the most loving and caring and understanding So do your best for your baby and believe in the bond you share with your kid......its special.....noone can replce it NOONE.......LOVE YOUR BABY
    good luck

8. SukanyaB

SukanyaB Senior IL'ite

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Reading you all makes me feel so much better. I am holidaying in India for a month at his stage, and only visiting my parents side. We all have been trying to teach him to say Ma constantly and I can already see a difference. Fingers crossed it will only get better from here.
    Thanks again.