1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend Fitness Trackers

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by ChennaiExpress, Sep 25, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Hello,

I recently learned about fitness trackers.

There are so many types.

But which to choose?

Do they help improve your health?

How do they work?

What do you recommend?

Thank you dears!

Sparkle likes this.

2. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Nice thread! I had a tough time buying one myself. There is so much variety with fitness trackers. I use a ViVo fitbit 3. (Thanks to my DH!) So far its been good. It counts steps and calories based on what you set in your fitness app. It also gives reminders.

How to choose a fitness tracker:
    ------------------------------------
    - Write down or find the pattern of physical activity you do everyday. Do you walk a lot, or jog, do you cycle or trek
    - Day to day activities like cooking, cleaning matters. Will you wear the tracker all the time or not. If yes, then you should invest in a good water resistant and heat resistant tracker. I hardly take mine off and I d all my work with the tracker on.
    - Some trackers have advanced features like monitoring heart rate, reminding you about your eating habits if you cross the calorie limit, get up and indulge in a physical activity if you have not moved for a while.
    - There are smart watches that provide fitness tracking features. But they may need a little extra care. You may have to pay a little more for the accessories like a good strap or a scratch resistant screen for the watch.

Do they improve the health:
    -------------------------------
    - Only if you are dedicated towards it. Sometimes I ignore certain reminders and I may eat a little treat or two now and then. So it all depends on the person.

How to choose a tracker:
    -----------------------------
    - Easy way is to compare and contrast the features of the trackers on any online website. Take some time to read reviews left by the customers. It helps immensely.
    - Another point to note is if there is enough customer support available for the tracker from the company. I wouldn't buy one that has no proper customer support.

What would you recommend:
    ---------------------------------
    - See trackers from well-known brands if you are keen on buying it. IMO it is a good investment.

3. ChennaiExpress

Customer support is a must ..... otherwise I'll be frazzled.

Still have to determine whether I'll wear mine all the time ....

I'm looking for tracker that can detect blood sugar levels (do they exist?), in addition to activities.

Sparkle likes this.
  4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

We have tried quite a few Fitbit's... I found the one which I am comfortable in. Not my DH.
    I like Jawbone UP24- It has everything that I need. Water resistant, calorie counter.. but it doesn't do heart rate.
    Initially, my DH and both got this and my DH returned it coz he wanted heart rate monitor.

My DH went for Garmin vivofit 2 bundle heart rate monitor. He didn't really like it, so he returned it.

Now DH has apple watch- its kinda ok. It doesn't accurately give heart rate. but does most of his scheduling... SO my DH is loving it and there is a new model released this September which is waterproof.
    I heard his say he wants something which has gps for hikes and tracks heart rate at the same time :BangHead:

I think heart rate is over rated.. Especially for me and my workout sessions. However, my DH's activity is much high compared to mine.He does a lot of hikes and weight training.

So when you purchase one.. read about it try it out for a month and return it if it isn't for you.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  5. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

A CGM (continuous glucose monitor) is a popular device to track blood glucose levels, mostly used by diabetic patients.

Apple watch has a continuous glucose monitor feature. Plus it can track fitness. Personally I don't prefer the apple watch and I think its overrated. If its features suit your needs, you could go for it.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  6. ChennaiExpress

Thank you for all this helpful info.

Guess I'm looking for something simple.

Yes, Apple can be overrated.

Sparkle likes this.