1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nary A Stitch

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

One of the most bizarre spectacles I used to see few years ago when I took my lab for her morning walk was a Digamber Jain muni jogging on the footpath looking not-so-smart in his birthday suit. No he was not exposing himself. He was surrounded by smart guys in track suits who were running along with thim or around him so that you didn’t focus your eyes on where you shouldn’t

But Jimmy was smart. Her intuition ensured she wasn’t fooled. She realized that the guy had nary a stitch on. While I was trying hard not to be in stitches over it she barked furiously showing that she wasn’t amused at a human usurping an animal’s right to be unclothed. She has always been a snob and for a canine who doesn’t wear a damn thing, has a keen dress sense. While she would go out of her way to be friendly with well dressed people, Shabbily dressed people were the target of her ire as she would bark furiously at them. You can imagine what would have been her reaction to someone in a state of total undress.

Because of Jimmy’s hostility to Digamber Jain munis I changed her morning walk time so that we didn’t run into His Unclad Holiness.

I was reminded of this when recently a guy in in the nude addressed the Haryana legislative assembly. Yes he was a Jain muni and people heard him without catcalls or whistles. Hats off to you man! You sit before hundred plus people in that state without batting an eyelid. You deserve a brazenness oops sorry bravery award.

It is good to know that he remained unmolested among a big crowd but these religious nudists are not always safe in their own areas. When in school once with a few friends I cut classes and went to a movie. The movie theatre was quite close to a jain temple and after the movie we were going past the temple and we saw a Digamber Jain muni sitting in a mandap in a meditative pose. Suddenly we realized that one of our friends, a prankster of the first order, was missing. He had darted into the temple.

Within minutes we heard loud shouts and a cannonade of ungodly words from the temple. Our friend came running out chased by a few people with sticks who seemed to have forgotten the Jain commitment to non-violence.

We had no alternative but to run with him and soon outran the pursuers. “Awright, what did you do there?” I asked the mischief monger who was still giggling. “I made that naked guy’s you-know-what wag and he shouted at me in a lingo that would have made a sardarji truck driver blush” he said. Our reaction was a cocktail of amusement and horror. Horror because we were probably nearly lynched and amusement .... well,what else do you expect from a bunch of recalcitrant teens who bunk classes to watch movies.?

We are a funny nation. Naked guys address legislative assemblies unscathed and we have a culture minister who advises women tourists from abroad how long their skirts should be to avoid getting raped. Oh sure rapes depend on how long a woman’s skirt is and women in saris and salwar kameezes don’t get raped at all.

But this gives me an idea to increase employment opportunities. A moral tourist police force can be created that will give jobs to thousands. These guys will go around with tapes measuring the length of tourists’ skirts and take punitive action against those whose skirts do not meet the required specifications. The punishment could include a sound thrashing by bhakts who love to do such stuff. Morality levels will then skyrocket and reach the stratosphere or ionosphere.

Dear Tourism Minister Mahesh Sharma, great that you prescribed the correct lengths for women tourists’ skirts but as minister of culture have you given a thought to protection for digamber Jain munis? How about making it obligatory for them to wear a particular length of cloths to protect them from possible threat to their rears from lusty gays?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Balajee, hilarious. Your Lab seems to be a very good observer.
    I read about the comments of the tourism minister and I was like shocked. He is blaming women for molestation or even teasing. Isn't it govt's job to protect women? Isn't it govt's job to educate the youth? What tomorrow they are going to ban people wearing spaghetti tops or tank tops? Will there be a requirement to wear saree? In fact, saree reveals more than it hides.

BTW, the article on the Indian tourist Minister was on the headline CNN news. So he is famous now.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    sindmani likes this.
  3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

nice one balajee - not the scene i mean :)

time a stitch in time of such ministers mouth would save a plenty.

time, the tourism ministry open a "nirvan bhavan" and house these people.

sindmani likes this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Akanksha don't be surprised the way country is going they would make it part of a compulsory dress code for women to wer saris with their heads covered.Governments here are famous for abdicating all responsibility and passing the buck. Our safety is our own concern and not that of the powers-that-be.

sindmani likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Nirvan Bhavan eh? I hope some BJP honchos aren't reading this. Otherwise they might pick up the idea.

GoogleGlass likes this.
  6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Really feely sad that women and their dress code is blamed for more molestation cases.even a child is molested. I don't understand the government.

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

The government is on the one hand trying to impose a puritanical dress code inspired by Hindutva agenda and on the other washing its hands of all responsibility of protecting the citizens.

8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Really pathetic condition for India

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Very pathetic.

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

There are nude resorts in the US but rules are well made. Families should stick together. Pets are allowed only in certain areas. Everyone should carry a towel to ensure they sit in the towel for hygiene reason. No unfamiliar individuals should approach or engage in conversation with the children. People are allowed to roam around, swim and dine nude. No cameras are allowed in the area. sexually suggesting language, dancing, dress or display are strictly prohibited. Moderation is recommended in drinking alcoholic beverages. Unwritten code of conduct is not to stare at anyone in particular.

But no one is nude due to religious or other reasons in other areas nor prescribe what should be the length of the skirt. I have occasionally heard of streakers running into the ground in the soccer field or cricket field in Europe but I have not seen anything like that in the US.

Viswa