In What Language Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Aug 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I think in the universal language of sighs, shrugs and blanks! :angel::tonguewink:

Amica, yellowmango, SunPa and 5 others like this.
  2. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

The same question I was asked by my manager a month ago bcoz we know atleast 2 languages .. I said Language comes from culture so I think most of times I think in my mother tongue ..I used to translate from Telugu to English for several years .. Even after staying in us for 5 years still somewhere in brain translation happens very fast .. My 3 years kid speaks English Telugu both replaces Telugu words in English sentences if she Doesn't know the the word ex : let's go to illu ( home) .

Rihana and Lathasv like this.
  3. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

There is so less time to think these days in life. I've often been chiding for being impetuous that I say/write things before thinking. Then I have to reverse engineer my original thoughts and retrofit thinking which depends on the language I've so rashly communicated in.

If I've communicated in English then I start thinking in English ...what the heck did I witter away ..
    (same holds good for my mother tongue)

No, I am not being cheeky, this is exactly how I conduct my daily life. I act and then think!

Rihana likes this.
  4. whistle

whistle Silver IL'ite

Java, Hands down.

i++;

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Still do. That's always English I hear.

Rihana likes this.
  6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

My mind is a bhelpuri. Many thinking happening at the same time and in different languages.
    for serious thinking, it is always hindi.
    for the conversations, it depends on the language other is speaking - mixture, single
    for counting - i start in my native language and switch to english after it gets to 70+

Rihana likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I only speak two languages English and Tamil. I switch thinking between the two languages. Mostly, if it is serious, it is in English and if it is humorous, it is in Tamil. For example, if I would like to refer to a husband who obeys the orders of his wife blindly, I don't think in English as "henpecked" and instead think "Jattai & Pambaram" (a string and a spin top).

Viswa

Rihana likes this.
  8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Tweet < 140 characters, then think , delete chars, replace / shrug

vaidehi71 and kaniths like this.
  9. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Facepalm ? Wo bhi expression hai which is equal to language . Your permanent image comes to my mind when I think facepalm .

kaniths likes this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My mind is a cocktail mixture it seems!!!

I used to think and speak comfortably in my mother tongue till we migrated to a different country at the age of 6. Then French became part and parcel of our lives. I felt comfortable when I think in French.
    Then we returned back home to permanently settle here, and I moved to a different country for studies. That's when I learnt English.

I have worked in several countries. Depending on the region, we switched from French to English as working language. But off late, it has been always English speaking regions. So, I too think in English even at home, work, and here in IL.

That's why my English is always smells French...

Rihana likes this.