In What Language Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Aug 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

@ashima10 now we will remember 'Thayir Sadam' too. Curd rice tastes yumm with curry patha seasoning!

:facepalm: Oops sorry for the digression. And all the above I thought only in English. :thumbsup:

Rajkum846, ashima10 and Rihana like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana only thayir sadam stuck, not gayathri that was the flavor couple of weeks or even filter kapi..just kidding

i recently found my ds having a problem at uni. he was being cautioned on the the way he talks in his mother tongue and i was analysing the reasons, and derived at he thinks in english and translates it to other languages.. while i hear many think in mother tongue and translate it to the other languages.. each ones adaptation, is surprising.

I know a couple of languages and i have never thought much on this..but chunk of thinking happens in english and sometimes i observe myself thinking according to the language i am speaking at that point.

Rihana likes this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Interesting! A mixture of English and Tamil usually. However having learnt Hindi in the last 10 years and 3 different European languages in the last 20 years, each language has a new dimension to add to my thinking - when I'm actively using the language. Especially when it comes to certain phrases / idioms. There isn't an effective way of translating them sometimes and the phrase in the language is the best way to convey what you mean.

Like "tu me manques" of French to me seems to convey much more than an English I miss you.
    I mutter, "bains barabar" (of kale akshar bains barabar fame) under my breath when I've had an encounter with a person too thick to read and comprehend simple instructions...

Amica and Rihana like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

LOL.. Long ago I used to talk in my sleep..

I used to think there are more South Indians, but now not so sure.

5. Rihana

I read it in English too. :tonguewink:

ashima10, creativemind23 and kaniths like this.
  6. Rihana

That brings one more thing to mind - I think according to the language of the song I am listening to.. At each point, there are 2-3 songs going around in the head, and those decide language of related thoughts.

7. creativemind23

creativemind23 Silver IL'ite

Very well said. It's true.

8. creativemind23

I think it depends on the context as everyone else has said too. Depends what you are thinking about.
    Moreover, in our country everyone knows a minimum of 3 languages to speak and understands a little bit here and there of many other languages...

Rihana likes this.
  9. creativemind23

Ha ha ha!!!

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Think?????
    With my husband ,it is Hindi mixed with English.I think, I think most serious /normal stuff with him in Hindi mixed with a few English words here and there.Most silly lovey dovey stuff in english :hearteyes:.(just realized it as I got thinking about this thinking stuff:p)

When I think of my parents and in laws ...I think in hindi...the good respectful kind of hindi. Specially about mom and mil(when I have imaginary conversations with them in my head:rolleyes:)
    With dad and fil....hindi ,sometimes English or mix.

I was very close to my brother when I was very small....when we did not converse much in English. When I think of him...I usually think in hindi...the not so pure and chaste hindi.:tongueout:

With my sister it is hindi mixed with English.

With my daughters ,it is English mixed with hindi

We often go to our 'native place'for vacation/travel ....where we originally come from. When I think of that place or when we are there...sometime I think in my 'native ' language...although I can't speak it much.Surprising ,when I think,it seems much more correct than when I actually put it in words.My husband who speaks the language better than I do always bursts out laughing .

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Rihana likes this.