1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Which Cookware To Buy?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Bubbles, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

Aluminium cookware is not considered safe in that the metal does leach out at high temperatures into food, more so with acidic foods.. And people with Alzheimer's disease were found to have large quantities (comparitively) of Aluminium deposits in their brain.
    So putting two and two together, a lot of concern was (is) raised over Aluminum cookware.
    However, this presence of aluminium in the brain tissue has not been proven to be the cause for Alzheimer's : it is remarkable finding, that is all (atleast as of now).

Also, aluminium leaching from cookware is very less - and contributes to less than 10% (that's at the highest) of dietary aluminium.

To put things in perspective:
    Aluminium exposure occurs as environmental >>> direct dermatological (cosmetics, earlier deos)> dietary, of which cookware contributes only 1-10%.

So there are lots of ways Aluminium may get into the body, and cookware is one of the least significant of them.
    However, it is the one that catches everyone's attention as it is a very common - nearly universal factor.
    Hindalium is an alloy, so I suppose alumium would leach out of it as well.

If you want to take no chances whatsoever, ditch it. Otherwise I suppose you can live with it - remember most baked goods are baked in aluminium pans and that's at even higher temperatures...and I'm not going into other foods that have significant amounts of aluminium - some even more than what leaches from cookware.

Thanks for asking the question though - it helped me marshall my thoughts and check my own vague hesitations!

Personally, I might still go in for non-aluminium cookware, but more because it's not dishwasher safe, and not because of safety issues.

Suparni likes this.
  2. swapna15

swapna15 Senior IL'ite

Good discussion here. I am also thinking about my options of cookware. I have been using a steel pans set for more than a decade now and never had any problems with regards to food sticking in the bottom. I always cook on a lowest flame though. I have a lodge cast iron pan which i haven't used much and now i have to season it before i start using it for chapatis. Any thoughts on how to do it..? And with lodge or le cruset the only drawback i found is they are very heavy to handle..and le cruset is way too expensive.
    So for chapatis i am using a teflon tawa which is convenient but i know not a good option at all.
    For dry roasting flours ect which i don't do very often i use steel kadhai which is heavy and i have to be very very careful to stir the ingredient otherwise it starts to burn.
    Now about deep frying which again i dont do very often but planning to do more i am thinkin about my options. Obviously i can't use steel kadhai for it as it will get very very hot. So what other healthy options do i have other than cast iron? Any thoughts on this? The only thing which i don't like is that it will be v heavy atleast the branded such as lodge etc. Will getting one iron kadhai from india will be a better idea..Please tell me which metal kadhai you use for deep frying..
    Thanks in advance!

Bubbles likes this.
  3. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

@swapna15 I've been checking out carbon steel pans in my search for a good lightweight deep fry pan - maybe you should check them out. Back in India we used a cast iron pan at home, but it wasn't formidably heavy - unlike the ones I find in US.
    As of now, I'm using a Hindalium pan, and its serving me well (touch wood).

I wonder if you need to reseason the lodge skillet - it usually comes preseasoned.. in which case, you can just rub in a layer of oil and wait till it gets hot, and just use it.
    If you are sure it needs to be seasoned, then just rub in a layer of whatever oil you use for cooking (a bit liberally) and leave it on low-medium heat for around 15-20 min. You can do it over high heat as well for 5 min and repeat 3-4 times, if you are not concerned about the smoke alarm. If its more of a pan, then just use it for deep frying, and you're good to go.

4. Sakthi02

Sakthi02 New IL'ite

Hi
    I am a new member. Just read the posts regarding cookware options. I am in look out for a sturdy cast iron dosa tawa. I have seen my grandmom use one which was heavy but lasted long. The ones that i get in chennai ( local shops) require a lot of seasoning. Could anyone share their experience using lodge or any other indian brand of cast iron tawa?

5. Agniamber11

Agniamber11 Bronze IL'ite

Try amazon. You may find it there. Also seasoning is required for long lasting effect. Also another option is to get it from Madurai. Next to Meenakshi temple, there are shops selling cast iron tavas of very good quality. I got mine from there. Had to season it though. But very happy with the result.

Bubbles likes this.
  6. Sakthi02

Sakthi02 New IL'ite

Thanks. Will definitely keep it mind next time i visit Madurai. Have ordered a cast iron tawa through amazon. The product description says pre seasoned !!

Agniamber11 likes this.
  7. happydheivanai

happydheivanai Silver IL'ite

Cast iron and mud cookware is always best.

If u cook in iron cookware ur iron increases automatically in ur body. Mud cookware gives full nutrient value.

Stain and steel is not good nor bad.

Sandyr46 likes this.
  8. Irrikepalli78

Irrikepalli78 New IL'ite

Has any one using Wonderchef granite die-cast casserole ? How it's working?

9. Irrikepalli78

Irrikepalli78 New IL'ite

Hai everyone
    Ian new to this site.do not know how to post new thread .....bought Wonderchef granite die-cast casserole in home town without reading reviews.but reviews are not good so I am thinking to return it ? Pls let me know anyone using this one? What is your opinion?

10. jackfowler

jackfowler Guest

I often get asked “what cookware should I use?” It’s a great question because apart from being aware of the pesticides on produce, the mercury in fish and the chemicals generally in our food, it is important to realize that your choice of kitchenware can make a difference too, because they can contain chemicals which can leach into your food, Teflon in particular but also aluminum and lead and even PVC Plastic.