1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by chaaral, Aug 27, 2016.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

hi all, need some help on how to handle this situation without hard feelings.
    my dad passed away few yrs back and mom was so depressed, as it was shocking for all of us. my mom's main worry was abt my brother finishing studies and getting him married. i am married and have 3 kids. i was working and quit my job when dad passed away and as i couldn't get leave. i took some time off to be with mom. i always had issues with my inlaws so didn't visit india often. i started to work mainly becos wanted some peace of mind. dh would support me here but in india he would be very quiet in front of inlaws. he was so worried that he didn't even tell his parents that i worked as that would create problems. inlaws are too controlling ( both dh and me)
    i felt guilty that i didn't visit parents often due to inlaws issues( mom was the one who told dont come to india as she couldn't help me or see me deal with inlaws) i brought my mom here for few months after dad passed away so that she feels better. it took us all a while to get back to routine after dad.
    then mom started asking me not to work. her excuse is if i work i cannot help her with brother's marriage. i asked her to come here to help me with 3 kids so i can recover health wise and start job. i had saved money for brothers education which he returned back once he started working. me and hubby helped him in whatever we could until he could settle down here. i would call mom every day or other day as she was alone in india. so our phone calls got lengthy and often. she started to depend on my calls. now its been more than 5 yrs and i want to get back to work which she is not happy with.
    so i waited until my brothers marriage gets fixed.dh is upset that i am not working. so dealing with mom on one side and dh on the other.
    now that his marriage is fixed for this yr end, i thought i will start preparing but didn't tell my mom anything about work. i dont know how to tell my mom as she wouldn't accept it.
    my mom is well off when compared to inlaws side. i dont expect anything from my mom as i know that she would give all properties to my brother which i am ok with. what i am upset is i want to earn and save for my kids and my future which she doesn't approve. i am not asking anything from her. i have never asked her anything. except what ever she had to do for marriage which inlaws demanded.
    my mom and brother has a feeling that dh and inlaws are not upto their status which i cannot help as they only got me married. but now with our earnings we are doing well. my brother spends all his earnings with europe trips and lots of friends and party which my mom compares with me ( as we r frugal but we do enjoy trips and eating out etc)
    but lately as my brother's marriage is fixed he is favouring a lot for his fiance and her parents so much that he doesn't even respect my mom. becos his fiance is visiting ( she is also here in US) he asked mom to stay with me which mom is upset about. fiance family is very well off. so he has started to hide lots of stuff from mom. long story short he doesn't even want to stay for 10 days for wedding in india. mom is broken and depressed that he is not helping with all preparations for the wedding as dad is not there and cannot rely much on relatives.
    how do i talk to my brother gently that he is supposed to help. he says he doesn't have leave, but he takes every other month vacation for some trips and to visit his fiance. brother is very stubborn and changed suddenly now. mom is upset about this and i am looking for a job now and i am sure she is going to show all her anger on me when i get a job. she is already depressed that he sent her now to my house and also told her that after marriage for 2 yrs she shouldnot come to US or he wont come to india as well. as they need time. i felt all that is ok but alteast come for 2 weeks or so for the wedding and help with all arrangements. mom expects me to come inbetween for helping and then again for wedding. dh had to change job and is commuting to a nearby state for job, so he is not home on weekdays . i cannot leave kids here and go to help india or cannot take kids with me as schools have started here. then again take off for wedding.i told her i can come for 3 weeks for wedding and dh and kids will come for 2 weeks for the wedding. my mom is more affectionate with my brother and she feels more upset that he has let down her. we kind of consoled her and brought her here to our house. brother wants to take mom back after fiance has left. which my mom doesn't want to go back. she says he sent me out and i wont go back. i told her she can stay here as much as she wants and dh took her out so she feels better. but i feel so upset with all this drama going on. now if i tell her i got a job or looking for job she would feel both kids let her down and she would be more upset. but i need to go to work for my peace of mind, and also dh can quit his job and search something nearby as commuting is too hectic for him. planning to hide it from inlaws as they cannot digest that dil is working their own daughter is not. which will create a big a issue when i go to india now.
    any suggestions or advice would be helpful. sorry for a long post.

maddysweet likes this.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op....some observations based purely on your first post.

Brother---- your brother has recently been engaged.He is probably getting to know his finance's family so spending time with them. Nothing wrong in that .Your husband too has been nice to your brother and mother .....similarly he is getting to know them.

What he is doing wrong is not taking care of mother's emotional needs, being rude to her(sending her to your place,asking her not to visit for two years) and not taking responsibility for his own wedding arrangement.

May be you could ask him to be a bit more there for your mother.

As for wedding arrangements,your mother should clearly tell him that she needs him to be there for arranging things and she cannot do it alone.If he is not willing to do that,then ask him to settle for a simple temple wedding.
    You could find a wedding planner in your mom's city and help your mother that way.It may cost a little bit,but your brother should be able to at least pay for it if he can't himself help.

You going for 3 weeks is very generous of you and your family.

Mother----- Op...based on your post,your mother comes across as a very controlling ad interfering person. ....just like your in laws. At least you have been able to work by keeping in laws in the dark. You have not been able to do the some with your mother.

Considering your mother believes in patriarchal rules when it comes to inheritance,your mother's expectations from you are unreasonable. She has no right to stop you from working. Your first responsibility is towards the children you brought into this world,followed by your spouse. Taking care of mother is a moral duty but you do not have to listen to her in what is none of her business.

As a daughter ,you are doing your duty to her by being there for her emotionally and physically when required. You are also willing to spend time to help with the wedding.

It is time you let her know that you will do whatever is right for you and your family .If you need to work,you do not need her approval .

Your Husband------Despite not being able to stand by you sometimes,your husband seems to be a good husband .He helped your brother settle down and also is good and caring with your mother.He is also willing to help you out by going early for the wedding while he gets the kids later. He is a nice man. He does not deserve a mother in law who is controlling and interfering in his family decisions. Please be fair to your family or else you may lose your husband's support in future.

Op ,you have three children and a home to manage. Your children and husband need you more than your mother . You are doing your bit to help her. Now it is her turn to be reasonable.

Hope you are able to understand and take a firm decision to get back control of your life.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You have to put your immediate family first. If that means you have to go to work, then by all means focus on getting back to work. You cannot let your mother dictate your life to such an extent. You have done everything for her in a reasonable way, but she does not get to interfere in your family life.

sindmani, yesican and guesshoo like this.
  4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

It is very unfair to tell u not to work, by ur mom.
    She does this so that u can be available to ur mom whenever she wants.

Can you take her to doctor to see if clinical depression or anxiety she is suffering from

sindmani and yesican like this.
  5. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

Recently, my cousin got married. My aunt said they hired an event manager for the entire wedding arrangements. Looks like the bride's side also had very less minimal work to do. Since money is not an issue, why don't you suggest that to your brother and mother.

sindmani, yesican and KashmirFlower like this.
  6. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thx for all the suggestions. I did speak to my mom about me working and now suprisingly she is ok with it becos she feels we spent more time worry about my brother and since he doesn't care much now she says u focus on your life. i felt hurt in some ways becos of her reasoning. she is ok only becos my brother is focusing more on his new life and not helping her. so she says we are wasting time on him. but end point she didn't start any arguments or drama.
    she would not seek any help or counselling. she is set in old ways, difficult to change them in their age, as changing in our age itself is hard.

I started the issue with my brother about helping him and his one and only answer is her cannot get leave from work. he doesn't talk after that. so i told him not to take off now for which he didn't answer. so lets see.
    I will look into wedding planner or event manager.

I have been telling my self everyday to think about my future, my kids my family etc but sometimes it is soo hard.
    my older kid thinks mom cannot work, which makes me feel so sad. kids have a different perception about me.
    growing about listening to parents and never been independent always had to follow rules and then now suddenly to change is difficult. very stressful too dealing face to face with mom. but thanks for all your support.

yesican likes this.
  7. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Dear Chaaral, you are such a good daughter. I wish to be a support like u to my father, he was totally dependent on my mother. Elders become like kids in this age and don't want to let go of us. Like when we were kids, I never let mom dad stay away from me. I guess life always comes full circle.

Like others mentioned here, you have good husband who supports you and your family in the tough times inspite of his parents. He is a keeper. now he needs ur support in raising 3 kids and their education, pls do not hesitate in taking up work and time for them. Growing kids need both their mom and dad in their formative years. Taking frequent breaks and going overseas for a marriage prep sounds like a problem if u r starting the work search now.

now that u sorted the issue of sharing work news with u mom, all the best for searching work! Do your best. You mentioned that there is a break in ur work as you focused on kids and family in last 5 years or so. This time when u start working or looking for work, be well prepared both in your area of work/ interest as well as emotionally. New work can take time to start and settle down. But during this time, pls do not let mom's concerns/ judgements bother u. If you get tired of the whole transition process or share that with ur mom, she might reinforce staying back home. Surround urself with positive people, attitude and happiness. If she asks about ur work, keep the conversation minimum. Looks like she didn't get the chance to go out and work professionally..so she might be worried for u and the kids when ur away for work. Sometimes parents get too protective and that turns them into controlling. If you give her a sense of comfort that ur work will make u more fit physically, emotionally as well as financially, she may come around and actually start respecting your decision to work,independent of what ur brother does or doesn't do.

Regarding the marriage prep and the drama associated with it, I don't know how it is about in ur family, but frankly speaking if the groom is not free, the bride is away from country, what's the fuss about big wedding prep? Court marriage is a way to go. If that doesn't sit well with the elders in family, and money isn't an issue, pls outsource everything, I mean everything. wedding prep can be done in 15 days or it can take more than a year to plan everything at a snails speed. Actually wedding happens in couple of hours. No one remembers who did how much and what for the wedding, except relatives who have no other work left to do. They should not matter much in any case. Please save ur sanity and do not participate in this drama anymore. Put all ur energy and attention on ur work search, kids, mom, husband. If brother is not in listening mode now, ur job as a good sister is to make him indirectly take his responsibility by u not taking any additinal responsibility on ur shoulders. If ur not available, he will work his way around. As long as you show that u can mend ur time, schedule, location, responsibility for the sake of his wedding, he will not take any concrete action or ur mom will continue to expect from u. Also, if u happen to start work now, clearly set her expectation from now that u may not get 3 weeks leave from a new job just for the wedding of a family member. In all this, pls don't think that ur rude by thinking about ur self and immediate family. Long term parental control as well as conditioning takes time to change the way things are done around us. Ur mom will come around as well, if she sees u happy. If she can't see that don't loose heart, keep at ur goals. Work together as a team with ur husband.

I am sure u will do great.
    All the best!

8. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thank you for the support. it really helps me to stay positive. very true when u said if i am not available brother will work his way around. which i didn't realize so long. the same with mom too. she still is not 100% ok with me working now becos of the marriage. she is ok if i join once all this is over. she goes on and off in being normal to me and then showing a cold shoulder. which is very frustrating staying in the same house. but focusing my energy and time on kids and my studying is helping so far. i go to the edge of going insane and then trying to hang on there and then things get somewhat normal. this on and off craziness is also making it difficult for me to remember what i am studying. with all the stress at home health is also going down the drain. so all over just hanging on there. but feels good to read your posts.
    now with the way mom and brother reacts sometimes i think no matter how much ever we do for others it doesn't matter. it never stops. i didn't expect this from my own mom which itself is a big disappointment for me. which i am not able to digest. i have been so naive all along. which makes me feel very sad.
    but looking at the positive side, i am able to remember atleast half of what ever i read. atleast i started instead of procrastinating.
    yes the transition is going to be hard but will have to manage. easier to manage by myself than with my mom criticising. for the marriage prep mom has a particular way to be done and she wont change it. she would do it the hard and long way. so will leave it to her. thanks for the kind words.

9. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

Dear Chaaral,

You are fortunate and everything is going on perfect in your life except the sad thing about your dad passing away. I know the pain as my dad is also not there but thats gods decision.
    Reason i said you are fortunate is,]

you were able to take off from work and stay with your mom and supported her.
    you were able to make her stay with you and husband supported.
    your brother is getting married which is such a good news and a happy moment.

your father in heaven would have felt so happy and proud of you for being there for your mom and supported her. your father may come back to your family as a child to your brother.

Remember, there are many people who are suffering not being able to see good happy moments in life.
    I have my mom and brother, but we are still waiting for the fortunate thing to happen in my brother life. i am ready to take over the responsibility of my mom and she is ready too.
    Only thing is we want brother to get married and have family. but there is delay on that.

Mom working issue.
    Your mom feeling depressed is very normal and she will be feeling that way due to the growing age and emotions etc. most of the depression is due to the old age hormones etc but not her own mentality or personality. Dont mistake her , however dont need to listen to her. Tell her you have to work and try to spend time with her.

If not your brother, you are able to make her stay with you and you have a supporting husband. Now your mom also realized not to stop you from working to think about her or your brother. so just chill, find a job.

Regarding wedding preparations- Dont bother your brother, his fiance being in US might be a very demanding person. try to understand your brother, dont force him to help your mom or for relatives. You can see in internet make calls and do the marriage in a hotel.
    Do not disturb him and let him get settled with his wife.

Get a job and make your mom stay with you for few yrs.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  10. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

so you stay in US and also your brother. so was your mom staying alone in India.
    Since you mentioned that mom was asking you to come India etc.
    Does she stay alone in India?

well if so , that might be the main reason for her depressing. when you both kids are abroad how can she stay alone in India. Either you or your brother should keep her with you.
    seems like she is not ready to come to you ?.