1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How To Handle Being Stared At In U.s.?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by uk2016, Aug 29, 2016.

1. uk2016

uk2016 Senior IL'ite

@anika987:

What bothers me is the American stare. I am very used to the Indian stare and I can handle that. The American stare is very different from what Indians do.

Yes, not everyone stares. Thats why in my original post I mentioned that some people are super nice.

The jealous stare is what I felt. The person who was normally (!) staring at me gave me the stink eye when I went up to my DH and talked to him in a shopping place. Another time, it happened when I was being introduced in my college to a coworker. When she heard the word 'Indian' her expression turned awry and she totally stopped talking. But there are a few in the same place who are very nice to me and interested in Indian stuff.

The way someone looks at a person is just enough to convey what they are thinking most often. Stranger or not hardly matters. Why else would someone feel bad or good when their partner just stares at a stranger?

The place I live predominantly has Indians. I never wear a bindi, I never plait my hair, I never wear traditional outfits even around the block I live. Since I have been here, I have tried to avoid attention as much as possible, so I am avoiding Indian outfits and accessories a lot. I dress traditionally when I have to go to an Indian gathering or party or occasion, even then I go by car.

It possible that I am wearing something that doesn't suit me. I am average looking and I wear (loose fitted) t shirt and jeans most often. Nothing skimpy or provocative or out of the place.

2. uk2016

uk2016 Senior IL'ite

@blindpup10

The place I volunteer hardly has Indians, just a specific colour of Americans. Same as you said, a few of them were surprised I spoke English.

3. uk2016

uk2016 Senior IL'ite

@RPVAIL @blindpup10 @Rihana @JGVR @momsky @MalStrom @songbird46 @anika987

You all are very kind-hearted to spare few precious moments of your lives and listen to my problems. Not only you gave me several suggestions but also raised questions that helped me ponder over the issue. Thank you for providing a safe space to talk, it wouldn't have been the same elsewhere.

Rihana and anika987 like this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Here's a very effective way to disarmingly deal with stares. Look at the person with raised eyebrows, look down on yourself and slightly self-consciously ask, "is something wrong?" Add a, "I thought you were looking at me strangely."

I wonder too if you live somewhere where there aren't many non-Caucasians or maybe there aren't many indians?

type2, uk2016, anika987 and 2 others like this.
  5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

OP, sorry to hear about your experience! I don't have much to add as I never had this problem with Americans. I get stares from fellow Indians mostly because my husband is Caucasian.
    I wear Indian outfits quite often because I love Indian stuff ( mostly chudidar and long skirts in light colors, nothing gaudy). Lot of people compliment me or smile but haven't experienced the stares. I am a professor so work with all age groups too.
    I have an Indian friend who was my colleague at my previous institute. She was never friendly with office staff and even with lab mates, sometimes she will be friendly and next time won't even talk. I heard people talk about her....not only Americans, Indian as well. Think about how you interact with others. Indian attire or not doesn't matter.

Good luck!

Lathasv and songbird46 like this.
  6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I never had such experience or maybe I never paid attention. Americans typically look in the eye and maintain eye contact when they are listening or talking to you. So, your incident at school may be just that the teacher is trying to listen to you carefully and not "staring" at you. Also, Americans do eye contact when they pass by while walking or greeting.

Maybe you just getting over conscious. Just keep what you are doing and focus on that. If people are staring, let them stare. Just don't pay attention.

Now you have made me conscious and I will looking out for the stares.

type2, vrikshakadali, Lathasv and 2 others like this.
  7. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

My friend once mentioned this: an American visited her when she had a baby. American looked at her mothers framed picture and bent over (Friend knew that the American lady was about to kiss the picture) She told her that it was her Mom! Her reaction - Oh my goodness I thought she was one of your Goddess/Angel :) So if her mother had visited US maybe she would have got all the stares you are mentioning :) Feel good about it and move on!

umasivasankar, type2, uk2016 and 6 others like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

This could be "scopaesthesia". It is my understanding that it is an illusion. Generally, in the US, most don't stare at someone unless they are extremely attractive or scantly dressed. You have already explained your position on these two. It could be because you seriously made up your mind to return to India and hence find everything around you as unnatural.

I hope and pray that this overwhelming feeling doesn't make you obsessed affecting your routine life. How do you find out they are constantly staring at you? Do you keep an eye contact with someone who stares at you constantly? Perhaps, you have an extra-sensory perception that people are staring at you without you looking at them.

Whatever it is, you need to get out of this feeling pretty soon as it doesn't affect your daily life and your ability to stay in the US. Your husband might be interested in pursuing a long career in the US and your children might be looking to study in the US.

Viswa

10. uk2016

uk2016 Senior IL'ite

@guesshoo

Thanks for your time and response. I think I will try that the next time. I live in a place populated with lots of Indians and people from (all) other races.