1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How To Handle Being Stared At In U.s.?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by uk2016, Aug 29, 2016.

1. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

maybe you are adorable and elegant,thats why you get stares from other ladies.Just ignore those stares and go on.There are lot of things to be worried about in life.

2. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

People will only stare if you either look good or look bad ( combination of physical, attitude, mannerism, smell), in between nobody gives a second look. Just be happy if you know you carry yourself well.

I, myself, likes to look at people who looks good and carry themselves well, not out of hatred or jealousy but for inspiration. For example today in Starbucks, the cashier was this chubby Indian girl in her mid 20s, she has no makeup but her skin was beautiful and flawless. I've already seen her a few times but there were alot of people all the time except this morning. I complimented her and had a small conversation, then she revealed she only uses Vichy :)...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    blindpup10, anika987 and uk2016 like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Do you live a rural area or a place without many people of color?

4. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

There's something about you/ your face that is extremely attractive. :rolleyes:
    If other Indians don't face this then this must be the reason, apart, of course, from actual racism.
    Ask someone, otherwise...
    Own it, enjoy it, flaunt it! :cheer:

satchitananda, uk2016 and anika987 like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Are these people Indians or americans?This is quite strange..actually starting has reduced a lot in India itself!
    In USA not all people do stare..

Also,why will a stranger who meet you for the first time stare in jealousy?

Maybe think this way..are you wearing something which is not usually your style?why am asking is..sometimes when we are self conscious about ourselves we feel the whole world is staring at us

or maybe you must be extremely beautiful..

or maybe the place you are living in has very less Indians and maybe you wearing a bindi or plaited hair or dressing might make them look at you in awe..

I can't think about any more reasons..

Lathasv, momsky, uk2016 and 1 other person like this.
  6. uk2016

uk2016 Senior IL'ite

@JGVR:

Thank you! But, I think I look funny...anyways ignoring and ignoring for now!

7. uk2016

uk2016 Senior IL'ite

@momsky:

Just a look and going ahead minding one's business is very different from staring constantly for about 10 minutes. Its very awkward when you initiate a conversation and get a weird response or no response at all!

I was complimented once by a total stranger here that I smell good. I think my manners and attitude are ok, else one of my colleagues or friends or my DH would have told me by now.

8. uk2016

uk2016 Senior IL'ite

@MalStorm:

No, I live in a good city in a good neighbourhood. There are people of all races and colors.

9. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

I think you're just very beautiful,... don't mind the people looking at you, just look straight

uk2016 likes this.
  10. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@uk2016-
    If you are being stared at even in agroup.. then I really think you are very cute/ beautiful. I was also about to say if you live in a place where they dont see immigrants.. people you work with maybe in awe of how well you carry off.
    Not long ago I was in a university town and people were amazed I spoke English fluently! People even stared at me coz I dressed better than American's.
    Europeans are the one who really take care of themselves before stepping out. American woman just like to be in jeans, t-shirt or hoodie.