1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Carry Pickles And Seeds From India To Us

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by NidhiA, Aug 27, 2016.

1. NidhiA

NidhiA Junior IL'ite

Hello
    In the past I have carried both pickles and seeds from India to US without any problem. Hhave heard recently it is better to mail them as package than carry in check in luggage, can some one please confirm is it ok to carry them? It is not like live vegetables or fruits but completely sealed seeds and pickles. Thank you!!

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Are these seeds like jeera or mustard seeds or flower/vegetable seeds?

3. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

Pickles yes, if you have sealed and properly packed. Make sure pickles don't ooze oil. Seeds no. Any kind of seeds are not allowed. Last year at Boston Logan airport I was asked if had jeera, mustard seeds, rice, curry leaves/seeds, methi seeds, wheat. They checked all my checked-in bags which took about 2 hours of unpacking and packing :(

KashmirFlower likes this.
  4. NidhiA

NidhiA Junior IL'ite

These are vegetable seeds to grow indian plants there. How do people then carry all these seeds safe from India? I know friends did in past and my parents have got it too, its just in recent past have heard there is some concern on this so posting. What is the other option to send seeds then?

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You have to declare any seed or plant material you are bringing into the US on the customs form. The inspectors will decide whether to allow it in or not. People try to sneak them in and get away with it sometimes but it will give you a huge headache at the airport if you are caught. It's not worth the risk.
    There are some companies in the US selling some varieties of seeds for Indian vegetables-Evergreen seeds, Kitazawa seeds, Baker Creek Heirloom seeds for example. It is safer to buy from these sources.

aspha and KashmirFlower like this.
  6. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

You can order any type of seeds through amazon. Bhatia Nurseries in New Jersey has some very good indian plant inventory which they do ship across USA and Canada.

Your Favorite Plants

KashmirFlower likes this.
  7. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

KashmirFlower and vrikshakadali like this.
  8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I read an article few years ago, partheniam plants are because of this. Parthenium hysterophorus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They grow madly and will not allow other ones