1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jayanthi-an Inspiring Woman

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you deepv

Agatha83

2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

True Viji, about such inspiring women, we come to know about, only when they are given an award.

Agatha83

iyerviji likes this.
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you curiousgals.

Agatha83

4. Shamalamurthy

Shamalamurthy New IL'ite

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha
    Yes truly a brave and wonderful woman.she deserves all accolades that come her way.thanks.
    Kamal

Agatha83 likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Agatha,

In a world where Dravidan movement fought to allow people other than a particular caste to be a priest, it is interesting that daughter of a priest has decided to work for a crematorium. Hats off to her for her determination and courage to stay put despite resistance from the society and thanks to her family for being so strongly supporting her throughout her career.

I had a chance to go to the Crematorium recently twice once for my FIL and another for my uncle who died at the age of 100. I can't appreciate the work people do in the crematorium. Even scheduling is such a nightmare as many times 5-6 schedule cremation around the same time. Besides, people with political clout demand for an immediate time allocation and they have to face such threats as well.

There is a board prominently displayed in the office that no staff should demand any money from the grieving families other than payments due to the government and if they are found demanding, the people are encouraged to report. Even one offers money, the employees are reluctant as it would amount to violation of the government rules. Finally, we ended up convincing them that we were on our own giving this as a goodwill gesture and not because the employees demanded anything.

Please note that the electric crematorium can't be out of order even for a few hours forget about a day. I am so happy she was recognized for her contributions.

Viswa

Agatha83 likes this.
  7. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

Thanks for sharing.

Agatha83 likes this.
  8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,

It is sad that Bollywood celebrities occupy the front pages of women's magazine, but not a word about such brave women who survive, braving the odds.

Agatha83

9. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

There are still many villages in Tamilnadu, where castes play an important role in cremating their dead. Dead people belonging to lower caste are not allowed to be cremated in the crematorium belonging to the upper caste. I still can't understand where caste comes in to play, when a person is dead.
    Whatever may be the accolades Jayanthi must have received, I still wonder how the society treats her and her family. But the best part of the whole thing, is that her work has been recognised and appreciated by the Government, without which we wouldn't have come to know about her. Thanks for your valuable FB.

Agatha83

Rajkum846 likes this.
  10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you SeekingMimd.

Agatha83