Prenatal classes/ Childbirth queries answered

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Dwirakhi, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Dwirakhi

Dwirakhi Silver IL'ite

Eager to start a family

This is for all the women who are have their hearts out in their sleeves and have been eager to start a family. Hold on to this line…. Man chooses when to make love but God chooses when to make life. It’s all a matter of time. For some it just happens unexpectedly…..for some it takes a little longer than expected for some the wait is really long. The key is to just hold on and believe that there is a time for life to unravel and unfold itself… it is happening in the moments to come.

Keep dreaming keep hoping keep believing and have the faith. In the mean while the things that one needs to keep doing………

Ø Have a regular fitness plan and follow it up consistently
    Ø Continue to eat healthy…focus on a balanced diet
    Ø Processed and junk food should be limited
    Ø Work on finding some inner peace, start a hobby or any activity that calms you down and makes you feel happy in your skin
    Ø Don’t go around talking to too many people or taking too much advice. Your physician a few trusted friends well wishers and relatives to keep you in good faith.
    Ø Work on some activities hobbies or simple sweet nothings as a couple… keep the chemistry alive…keep trying….

Take care…. Love

Rakhi

sindmani and sweety127 like this.
  2. Dwirakhi

Dwirakhi Silver IL'ite

Nausea and Vomiting in first trimester

The joy of seeing the pregnancy test positive is immense. As the joy seeps gradually comes in all the changes in the body the mind and the emotions. Pregnancy is a mixed bag…..it’s a package deal. A whole new life is being recreated and the canvas is the mother so for this master piece to finished the canvas will go through a process very trying and testing for the next 10 months. So hold on Take one day at a time and rejoice each and every aspect of the pregnancy the good the not so great details the testing and trying changes of the various trimesters. These ten months will never come back. Time moves on.

Ø The initial weeks off the pregnancy are not the same for everyone.
    Ø Some women have severe vomiting.
    Ø Some women only have a vomiting sensation which is called nausea.
    Ø Some women are only exhausted and tired and sleep a lot.
    Ø It could be anything.

Respect how you feel. Don’t compare and contrast your condition with anybody. Feel happy with your state. Your baby your pregnancy, you are special.

Women with severe vomiting

Eat small meals. Eat what you can. Eat what you feel like. Don’t stress on nutrition for the baby and yourself. Just focus on how to get through this tough phase. Drink fluids in fewer quantities but in frequent intervals. It’s very easy to bring out the fluids. Rest as much as you can. Don’t force yourself on anything that can trigger vomiting. Get help when dehydration sets in. An intravenous line will help recover faster and it’s ok. Don’t stress on the weight loss. It’s a water weight. It will come back once you start eating well after the vomiting subsides. Take the medications prescribed for vomiting by the doctor. It’s ok.

Women with nausea

As much as possible avoid or remove or refrain exposing yourself from the smell food or things that make you feel nauseous. It could be anything. Don’t judge yourself. Don’t go around taking others advice. One man’s food can be another man’s poison. Eat what suits you. Eat small quantities and rest enough. Over exertion can trigger and activate the vomiting centre in the brain. Try and rest when possible. Don’t stress on not gaining weight during this phase. It will happen eventually as you start eating well after the nausea subsides.

Women who are only tired and fatigued
    Many pregnant women do not have nausea or vomiting during the first trimester they only feel tired sleepy and are able to eat well. Very often they are labeled lazy by people around. It’s not the case. These women don’t feel like throwing up or have nausea but are genuinely tired.

Eating small meals remains the key. They should rest. Incorporate a regular easy walk in the day. Not resting and fighting sleep will only irritate them set them in to mood swings and trigger unhealthy food cravings. These women should take care not to take too much processed food and stay healthy. Processed means junk. And one need not elaborate on these else the weight gain will be too much to handle at the end of the term.

The key is to take each day as it unfolded. Keep smiling and hold on. This is the start off a very beautiful journey ……yes it comes with a few discomforts too. Leys just cherish every bit off it.

Take care…. Love

Rakhi

1 person likes this.
  3. Dwirakhi

Dwirakhi Silver IL'ite

Mood Swings in the first trimester……..

After the detection off the pregnancy and setting in off the nausea vomiting or extreme fatigue……..the next evident change an expecting mother will see is change in her mood and behavior. She may feel very blue and weepy over trivial issues or nothing at all. Sometimes very small advices or personal remarks will trigger anger and resentments.

It’s very normal to feel this way. One must understand that the expecting mother feels that everything about her is changing her preferences about food. She does not like what she used to like before rather does not know what she likes. Some foods trigger vomiting and what they are? She is totally confused. It’s all about discovering herself all over again. The nausea vomiting leads to lack of appetite dehydration fatigue and drop in the blood sugar levels which makes her very irritable.

Tired and unable to handle the normal usual day to day activities sets her tempers flying. Pregnancy is not a disability or disease its normal physiology, in the first trimester there are no physical changes either but lot off transformations are happening with in.

v Hold on take it slow.

v Eat small meals to avoid hunger and anger acting up together. It can blow a simple situation out of proportion.

v Rest enough at this time. A body and mind rested well is at peace and calm and is more sensible in handling situations.

v Music, indulging in hobbies and activities that are calming, meeting people who are comfortable and supportive to be with can elevate the mother’s mood.

v Partners need to be more supportive and not take things too seriously, take each moment as it comes. Smile after a show down laugh after a heartfelt cry, let it go.

Take care…. Love

Rakhi

4. Tanmayee

Tanmayee New IL'ite

Dear Rakhi,

Joined this forum mainly to have your opinion on few things. Whatever I read in previous posts was very assuring. Hope you wont mind answering a few questions.

I am married for almost seven years and due to various personal and professional reasons having a baby was postponed. This year we really decided to go for it and yet it took us months to even start trying. While many of our same age friends are already proud parents we assumed from their experiences what they shared that it will take a while before we can conceive. But it so happens that I found out I was pregnant even before i could lose a few kgs n mentally prepare my self. I didnt take any folic acid before or any care at all.

Now I am in my 9th week of pregnancy and for last 10 -12 days I am under bed rest as per doctors advise. Due to a blood clot developed in my uterus. Which is far from fetus and it appears the growth is fine. Yet I am advised to take bed rest as long as it takes to cure the same.

My questions are:

what does bed rest at this stage means? Complete inactiveness or I can at least move around a bit in house?

Due to no care taken before conception at all, does my overweight, slightly unhealthy life style (before) will affect the baby in any way?

I am gaining weight at an increased rate what should I do?

How can I take better care in order to avoid any risk to fetus?

5. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Tanmayee,
    Welcome to Indus Ladies. :) You can find our forum guidelines here...
    Congrats on your pregnancy. :)

I hope you are taking folic acid tablets now, after confirming pregnancy. Green vegetables, greens will have a little amount of folic acid and that will cover up the basic requirement in those initial stages.

Please keep a check on your food intake. That will help you avoid excess weight increase. Try to reduce carbohydrate intake, balance it will fruits and vegetables. Try to avoid fat foods, sweets, oil fried items and processed food(food from outside). That might help a bit.

Regarding bed rest limitations, please have a word with your doc or nurse in the hospital. They know your position better.

Take care.

6. Dwirakhi

Dwirakhi Silver IL'ite

Dear Tanmayee,

Bed rest at this point means you don't exert yourself. Take a sabbatical. Put your feet up. Read listen to music. Put all your worries away and pamper not only your body but your mind. I guess you need to check with your doctor with this completely on this. May be going to the toilet and back having a bath that means doing all your activities of daily living is fine or not?. Exercising walking shopping socializing may not be in your cards now. But having someone over where you don't have to get hassled in taking care of them is very should be ok.

Regarding the diet I will send you a small attachment with some basic diet tips. You should be ok. Eat light. Avoid processed food junk ice creams sweet and foot with high fat content.

Some basic thumb rules

1. The earlier the breakfast the better it is. A breakfast as early as 8:30 to 9 is already late.

2. Please wake up and have something to eat immediately, you can have your badam or milk small cup and have your breakfast as early as you can.

3. If you do sleep well in the night and can wake up in the morning for a walk then good else choose an ideal time that suits.

4. Please do not step out for a walk on an empty stomach any time of the day, intake of a small snack is preferred, have your milk and badam or have a toast or a banana before your walk.

5. Please don't stress on fruit juices, I would rather have you eat a fruit and not more than two helping of fruits a day is recommended.

• A meal every two hourly is advisable.

• Lunch closer to 12 is preferable, but latest by 1 or 1:15.

• It is very natural to feel hungry around the evening time hence a heavy snack or a meal is a good idea at this time.

If you take care of these fundamental things you will find a balance and your acidity will be curbed which will prevent you to get in to mindless eating to provide comfort from its affects.

The two hourly meals can be a variety of things in small quantities

• High fibre biscuits

• Nuts and Dry fruits, a handful

• A cup of milk

• Sundal (white or black)

• Butter milk

• A fruit or a few pieces of them.

• Salad

Just follow your obstetricians’ instructions. Wait for the weeks in the pregnancy to pass. If any other measures or medications are being followed have faith in them. As the pregnancy progresses the fetus will get stronger. The pregnancy will establish itself more firmly and you should be ok. Be positive. Pray and invest in good thoughts and prayers. Trust me the power of the human mind, free will and determination can overcome any obstacle or challenge. Harness that power within and especially that of a mother. No harm only good will come to your baby and your baby will be fine. Trust in your love for your baby. God bless.

7. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Hi@dwirakhi ! i have question too...i have seen your replie to pragnanct women and they are very good.
    Iam 9 weeks pragnant and i had two sandwiches but the eggs in them were not fully friend. they were poached basically...only one side cooked....is it very harmful ? any remedies...?

iam really scared now....hope all is well. Pls advise

8. Dwirakhi

Dwirakhi Silver IL'ite

All is well. Don't stress.

Take care.

ashima10 likes this.
  9. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you !

10. bril

bril Silver IL'ite

Dear Rakhi,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and guiding so many expecting ladies on the right things to have a happy and healthy pregnancy.
    I am an old ILite. Have been around for a long time, but was hibernating after may2011 when my first one was born and life just took over. Hv managed to peep into IL once in a while after that but not much.
    I am expecting my second one now. Technically my third one, because second was a tubular pregnancy which ended in a rupture 2 years back. While this one was a big surprise, i feel blessed to have conceived naturally with just one tube. Needless to say, this little one is extremely special. And am looking for the best and conducive environment for this little one to grow healthy and happy.
    I have now completed 13 weeks and have been active to an extent. Though i was nauseated i have managed to walk whenever i could till now. I am planning to make it more regular and have a proper schedule for walking in the coming weeks.
    However, I am writing to you now because I am currently facing a tough situation at home. Both my parents have been unwell & have had to undergo surgeries in the last 4 months. While this pregnancy has brought with it lot of hope towards life in general, i am kinda worried about my thoughts affecting the little one. I am trying to remain as calm as possible, however, things have not been easy. Mom was diagnosed with a stage1a Endo CA and underwent uterus removal. She has another surgery planned in the coming week for lymph node removal. Dad had a ruputured hernia which caused abdominal perforation leading to ileostomy and needs to undergo a reversal surgery in a couple of months. My brother being elsewhere i have had to support my parents more at this hour. They are currently living with me because its tough for them to manage alone. I have a cook and maid to help me out and I am somehow managing things for them while handling my work and elder one. Many Thanks to my husband who has been very supportive.
    Like i said earlier, with this situation, there are times when i feel horrible about my parents and their inability to help me at this hour. I am in a way relieved that I am able to help them but still human mind is tough to control and especially now with all my hormones playing havoc. Will childbirth classes help me now? Please suggest things i can incorporate on a daily basis so i can see through the coming months which are extremely crucial both for my parents and my little one.
    I am looking forward to days when both parents will be back on their own with good health and hopefully that will be before my third trimester. Keeping fingers crossed.

Awaiting your suggestions.
    Thank you.