1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Surrogacy Bill In India

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by sslkgpaa, Aug 25, 2016.

1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I was just chit chatting on whatsapp with someone I know who had a child through surrogacy a few years back.
    She was in support of the bill because she saw the ugly side of this even though she was the one who used commercial surrogate through a fertility clinic.

She told me her surrogate had complications during delivery and almost died. With her ,even they had a harrowing time at the clinic as staff was tense and suspicious .
    There had recently been a case of a surrogate mother dying in that clinic. The baby also died.The parents of the baby left without paying the clinic or the surrogate's family the final payment because according to them....they did not get a baby.

Today in the papers ,there were figures of a hospital having more than 1000 surrogate deliveries using 200 surrogate mothers.That means an average of 5 deliveries by each surrogate mother.

I am glad the govt took these steps.

sslkgpaa and KashmirFlower like this.
  2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Oh my ! 5 deliveries + surrogate mothers her own kids deliveries before. They made them baby making machines. The hospitals/doctors were given too many rights I feel, how in the first/previous bill they forgot to add how many one surrogate can do?

actually all surrogates should come through some org, they have to register there etc, but still hospitals made it so bad. may be for gynic they see babies and deliveries all the time, so became mechanical for them as egg fertilization 1st step (IVF) and a womb to grow 2nd step.

3. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Any law in India wont be "implemented/enforced" properly - does not matter which law they pass. Hence, I'll save my energy rather than type out "my opinion" on this, which we do for every damn thing online these days.

vaidehi71 and KashmirFlower like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

But yellowmango and I want to know your opinion. Please share?

5. yellowmango

Commercial surrogacy.....specially where poor women are involved ,specially in a country where they often don't have control over their lives and decisions is a human rights abuse.It is abuse of a woman's body and I hold in the same category as human trafficking ,forced prostitution.Even if these women feel that they are okay with it and helping their family.Having a market that exploits the situation is a big fail on the part of the govt and society.

If a woman wants to do it for reasons of love for a family member or just out of kindness without any pressure ...then it is fine as she has a choice in the real sense.

Rihana and vaidehi71 like this.
  6. yellowmango

Implementation and enforcement is a problem but that does not mean laws should not be made and that it never gets implemented or enforced.
    Even with our problems,we cannot just become pessimists and give up...because for us ,this is the place we will live and we need to keep working on making things better .Even if it is two steps forward,one step backwards ....it is still better than giving up and not doing anything.
    Not doing anything is not an option .

KashmirFlower and satchitananda like this.
  7. yellowmango

From what I have read....there was no regulations on this issue till now.
    There were a few cases n 2012/13 of children of non Indians being abandoned or having difficulty in getting passports of the parents country(I remember one case of a German couple being in the news.)
    A few restrictions were put at that time but there still was no law.

This seems to be a first attempt to deal with this issue.

KashmirFlower likes this.