1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Painful Inlaws Visit In Us

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by cindrilla, Aug 27, 2016.

1. cindrilla

cindrilla New IL'ite

Hello all

This is my first post in Indus Ladies. My Inlaws came to USA for 4 Months
    When they called me and said they wants to come to USA, I was so happy
    and booked the tickets asap for them. I work remotely all the days and I also have an 8 year old and 1.5 month old
    daughter. But when they came here, I cooked all the food for them including indian breakfast , lunch , dinner and 3 times coffee/tea.
    But they did not like the food that I was cooking. They want me to add more and more oil deep fried curries
    But my husband has high cholestrol and I use little oil and cook the food. But they are not liking my food and gossip on back of me.
    This is more painful for me .I also manage my work and 1.5 month daughter. They never do any help.
    They never help me in any matter. They dont help me in any aspect. I am very tired everyday in making all the things
    everyday. and If I get roti's from outside they are blackmailing me that they will go back to India.
    My husband will be very upset if they leave before. Now, we have to relocate to another state because of my husbands Job.

As you all know, how much packing work we will have when we are moving to another state.
    But they never help me and If i get Rotis from outside then They blackmailed me that they will go
    to India. This is really painful for me. and I said sorry to them and started making tasty food by having more oil and deep fry curries.
    I make dosa/idly tiffins everyday and they comment on the food that i make.They always compare with my cosister and comment me.

Reecently, they told me that their son got so many nice matches who will give them more dowry and so many people were back of them to give them more dowry . i feel very irritated when I hear this. They also say that their son did not marry others because if he takes more dowry then the girls would not take care of his parents properly. Also , they are saying that its only because of them he married me. Its not that he likes me , but only by hearing his parents words he married me. I asked my husband and he said that its true.He married me only by listening his parents words. He said that, he started loving me after marrying me.

I am not sure why they are talking this to me. They told me this 5-6 times. I am really depressed and its painful when they talk to me like this.

We send money to them every month for their expenses. But still they are talking this to me.
    From monring to evening, I try to cook tasty food for them but still they comment on my food.Now a days, due to my office pressures, I am getting food from outside.

My husband is very nice person.He says that he is very happy with me and lucky man to have me as his wife. He says to ignore my inlaws words. He says, If they dont like the food you make then lets get from outside every alternative day until they leave.

Also, My cosister said that she will be calling them to her house. But one fine day, she said that her house is very small and they can not adjust.

I am really depressed with all these behaviours. Please help me how to manage with these people . I still have to spend 2 more months with them.

Please help me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@cindrilla,
    what more do you require? Give respect to your husbands words above, and continue to do the best you can for your in laws while they are there. Although it may be difficult, as it is said in these columns often simply ignore your inlaws talks. You need not show any aggressiveness but just do what you can comfortably without going out of the way. People who want to grumble will always search for reasons for it. I think even senior women like me have learnt it the hard way that you can never change a person's normal upbringing or mentality. They are how they are and we have to find ways to manage without loosing our self respect. Two months will pass off well - just avoid showing any open aggressiveness for your husband's sake. All the best :thumbsup:

sindmani and cindrilla like this.
  3. cindrilla

cindrilla New IL'ite

Thanks a lot. I will defnetly follow as you say.

sindmani likes this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Your inlaws are mean bullies. They bully you and you are not standing up to them. They see that when they bully you you try more to please them. They are clearly getting perverted pleasure out of this. You need to put a stop to this.

Next time they complain, firmly say this is what you can do - if they don't like it, they can feel free to cook. When they make unhygenic/ unhealthy good, tell them clearly that it is unhealthy - I once told my MIL, "Stop killing my husband! " very sternly. She complained and ranted hut it stood firm.

Give hem tasks to do. "Please dry the clothes." "Please wash vessels" "please make rotis"

You have kids amd a job to take care of that that shul come first. Combat everything with attitude. Don't let them get away with treating you badly in front of your 8 year old.

If the pick the wedding story again, which they are doing to deliberately hurt you, say confidently, "how many times are you going to repeat the same old nonsense? Your son today is so glad for your guidance -he doesn't think anyone else could have been a better wife."

Stand up for yourself politely but firmly. Delegate tasks. Reward their good behaviour and let them have consequences for bad behaviour. If they behave badly, don't try to please them. Ignore them. If they want to talk about your cosis, praise her with them and say you have different priorities though.

Deal with them like you would deal with a naughty child - their mental age seems to be 15. It will fall in place.

5. cindrilla

cindrilla New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply gueshoo. I totally agree what you said . I tried to
    deligate the tasks . But they are not ready to take them. So, If they comment on my food then
    I will clearly tell them that this is what I can cook.

I was tolerating all this only for my husband sake. My parents got huge losses in business and they are in need of money.
    When i was discussing this with my husband he clearly said one thing- Your parents are like my parents. If they are in need of money
    help them . His words touched my heart. This is what suppot I have from my husband. So, I was keeping silent only for his sake.

Thank you all (sisters) for giving me hope and confidence on helping me to handle this issue.

nakshatra1, Dishaa, guesshoo and 2 others like this.
  6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

This too shall pass. Ignore their unwanted stories. Do ur best . u have ur dh support. .make him say that since u r working and u r taking care of children n home , it is tough to manage. So they can eat outside for a day or two in a week

cindrilla likes this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op....your husband has told you to get food from outside every alternate days so why do you worry about the ready made rotis? You have 2 small kids ,you work and manage home.If they can't adjust and compromise a bit,well....what can you do.
    If they want to go over rotis......:rolleyes:their loss.

If they praise co sister.....just smile and yes ,yes...she is indeed good.
    If they talk about pre marriage stuff...just ignore or say something like this innocently ...really??? seems like I have really won his heart by my love and care.

Sunshine04, Dishaa, sindmani and 4 others like this.
  8. APS45

APS45 Silver IL'ite

So pleased to hear, with your love and care you have won your H heart and soul, what more you need. Your IL behaviors may be irritating but maintain your cool, give some firm and polite replies like you cook with less oil to take care of health of their son, to keep his high cholesterol under control. Your husband may choose to keep quite at this moment, he knows his parent better and when to react, but rest assured he will be noticing everything and return to his parent appropriately.

nakshatra1 and sindmani like this.
  9. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

If they feel like going back to India, let them go back. Please pass your 2 months somehow and don't invite them back ever again. And don't even bother cooking for them. That's typical IL rant.

Dishaa likes this.
  10. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Dear Op,

I feel like you are facing almost similar situation like me, I took suggestions from IL group and concluded.

1. Have respect for ur elders (specially as they are ur Dh parents) and try to do ur best to help them during their stay.

2. If they don't like ur prepared food items, let them prepare by themselves (don't try to over please them by introducing oily and fried food and effecting ur, ur kids and ur Dh health)

3. If they comment on ur prepared food, ask them to teach u (but never learn it) :tonguewink:

4. About ur wedding story its better just ignore it or even u can keep on telling stories or read news papers articles about how the other DIL who torture their in laws or husband and their families (irrespective of not giving any dowry), also tell them how much they are lucky to have u. I guess ur in laws remarks will stop or reduce after this.

Last but not the least if ur in laws feel like going back to India, please don't stop them.

But be available to them during their bad times for sake of humanity & respect.