1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Free 1-hour Coding For Kids Workshop

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Induslady, Aug 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for your interest! The customized curriculum and platform comes with quality as well as associated cost :grinning:.

Please take a look at some customer feedback here - Customers - Code Wizards HQ

Try the free 1-hour workshop to assess the quality!

2. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Hope I did not sound like I was asking for a discount :)
    I will definitely come back once exchange rate is good.

Induslady likes this.
  3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I signed up and sent the mail and waiting for the confirmation.

Induslady likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I am curious about this. I have along standing interest education for children, usually somewhat older, but nevertheless ...
    Is coding useful for kids? (I have an impression that it's part of the curriculum in India - is this true?)

Does syntax get in the way? Is it possible to effectively decouple it from more conceptual ideas that underlie programming (say decomposing a problem to its components)? What's the general impression of drag-and-drop 'coding' (E.g. MIT's "Scratch" initiative) vs a real programming language? If dealing with a 'real' language, how does one uncouple the rapidly evolving language specs from the principles? Is coding about coding or is it a conduit to teach more fundamental aspects of structured thinking?

I'm not talking about the 1-hour class - obviously that exists as an intro to demonstrate the user-friendliness of the teaching platform. I am more interested in hearing what people think about the initiative as a whole.

@Induslady I'd be interested to hear your take on this! What drove the design choices for this course?

vaidehi71 and Jey like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The relationship between syntax and the eventual goal of coding being a conduit to teach more fundamental aspects of structured thinking is like the one between language and thinking. I liked this below explanation of the link between language and thinking, and the same applies to syntax/coding/structured thinking in some ways.

"However, while it appears that we can indeed think without language, it is also the case that there are certain kinds of thinking that are made possible by language. Language gives us symbols we can use to fix ideas, reflect on them and hold them up for observation. It allows for a level of abstract reasoning we wouldn't have otherwise. The philosopher Peter Carruthers has argued that there is a type of inner, explicitly linguistic thinking that allows us to bring our own thoughts into conscious awareness. We may be able to think without language, but language lets us know that we are thinking."
    Source

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  6. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Soks,
    Sorry about the delay here. Multiple parts to your question, let's take it one by one so we don't overwhelm.

As we surround ourselves with technology, I believe coding will be as essential skill for kids to acquire. The analogy often used is this. We don't teach kids to write so they all will become novelists. We teach kids to write so they can use it to navigate the world and their life. Same idea. Kids should learn coding, not because they all need to be software engineers. They need it to navigate a world that is increasingly run by software. We wrote a well-researched booklet on why should your child learn to code.

Is it part of curriculum in India? I am not sure. But in the US (atleast around where I live), it is not. In the US, coding education is pretty episodic. There is an hour of code that is done once a year. Then there are some after-school clubs that a few kids participate in. Parents who have the background and time to provide guidance, introduce their kids to the right online resources & help to get their kids to learn coding. But, as a broader education system, there is not a structured and sustained coding education.

More later.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  7. Induslady

Hi Soka,

Let me answer this question as a parent of young kids! I've seen most elementary kids in the US exposed to Scratch. I think in general parents might prefer their kids spending their device time doing scratch over watching/playing other animated games/videos. The kids also prefer this way of learning, something cool and fun using the device!

With my 5yr old doing scratch, I have noticed he has figured out when and why to use repeats, conditions, etc. though he does it more like playing a game :) But with my older kid, we noticed the curiosity to know how to write a code themselves that will perform a conditional operation or a repeat operation. That's when we thought with older kids introducing real programming will work.

Here's another article put together on - Why Should Your Child Learn To Code?

8. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

I've heard rave reviews about both graphical and syntactic programming for kids.

To my understanding, there are lot of things that are thrown around like Raspberry Pi, Lego Mindstorms, Scratch, Block programming, Drag 'n' drop vs Textual coding that sometimes even a non-technical parent is confused of the jargon and cannot comprehend what is meant by this new-fangled "programming for kids". Let's say more or less all the programming languages support basic programming constructs like logical and conditional blocks. Where is this programming used by kids? Broadly they are applied in gaming platforms, robotics kit, animation (esp. for younger kids). I doubt all these kids are learning programming to become competent analysts or engineers in the future or many even desire to develop their inherent cognitive skills. Wouldn't we have machines that will write programs by 2025. Then why programming? It's fun! It's great fun is what I hear from the kids.

A basic game that introduces programming concepts was developed by Microsoft programmer Igor Ostrovsky - Robozzle. There are loads of game programming platforms for kids on the web. Here's an interesting robotics kit - Kibo Robo Block

How is the transition into real world programming from fun programming? There's Pygame and before the kids enter pubescence they are initiated into their first Python program. Voila!

Even if there is only insubstantial statistical evidence that kids exposed to programming early in their lives develop better conceptual and analytical skills in designing efficient algorithms, I would still go for it for the heck of developing something as amazing as this in my garage using Lego Mindstorms during my summer break Rubik's Cube Solver

kaniths, Jey and vaidehi71 like this.
  9. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That is precisely the reason most kids gets into it. But then they realize that there is so much fun in creating stuff, not just in consuming it. As they get hooked, they start enjoying the challenge of grappling with unknowns and figuring things out.

vidhyalakshmid likes this.
  10. Induslady

Just a friendly reminder...

We have a few kids registered for the Free 1-Hour Workshop this Saturday (10-Sep).

Thank you for your interest in trying this out. We have kept the enrollment open for this weekend!

You may enroll here - Introductory Coding Class - Code Wizards HQ
    Coupon Code: INDUSLADIES2016 (to avail $20 value workshop for FREE)