1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Surrogacy Bill In India

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by sslkgpaa, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Do you think, how much of a 'demonization' it is, depends on the country also?

Similar bill in the U.S. might have me agreeing less with it. Might even contribute to funds to fight it. But in India, even as I hate to admit it, I understand what all the lawmakers have to consider.

yellowmango and sslkgpaa like this.
  2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I think a few bad apples as usual have ruined it for the genuine cases. The only thing I agree is that the treatment of surrogates in India by the clinics is often inhumane and exploitative. However many people choose this as one of the last options to have a biological child and will make good parents (including single people, gays and lesbians). There is no easy answer.
    Surrogacy in the US appears more regulated on the surface but there are plenty of shenanigans going on here too. When human nature meets money meets desperate longing meets greed the results are often unpredictable.

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Exactly. On that score, I would recommend this book highly - I read it back when it came out, but even after a decade, it remains an excellent overview. Spar was at HBS and is now president of Barnard, so no slouch!:cool:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  4. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

The bill seems valid considering the Indian scenario, where exploitation happens on a large scale.

I am also not really sure if this bill will really succeed in helping those women who are being exploited. There is always a black market for everything!

I hope the bill succeeds to bring about the change it aims to bring!

yellowmango, sslkgpaa and vaidehi71 like this.
  5. sslkgpaa

sslkgpaa Gold IL'ite

The close relative requirement holds good until the poor, rural and uneducated women is strong enough to take an independent judgement whether she wants to be a surrogate or not. If father can sell his daughter "to get his family out of misery" he can very well push his wife for surrogacy. Being a surrogate is not like selling your ancestral property when you need money. If you and I would never do that for any amount of money, why should a poor lady do that?

And for "demonization of the infertile", rich and "infertile" can still opt for surrogacy, poor and infertile were never in the reach, and for others (rich and not necessarily infertile) surrogacy is not the last option anyway! This bill targets them.
    Married couple with no kids for atleast 5 years makes good case, definitely not the likes of Aamir, Shahrukh or Tushar! For them its more of convenience not "necessity".

yellowmango likes this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

It is not just the obvious exploitation by clinic .....it is much deeper.

There are places where it is now becoming an obligation for these women to do it 'for the family'good .The windfall from these pregnancies for the family is so big (in comparison to their family income) that it has now become another way for women to be exploited.One child because a pucca house has to be made.Another child because more rooms need to be added...debt has to be paid,someone has to be married .It is being seen as easy money .

Female infanticide,dowry,abuse at home and now this . Very often the pressure from the family is enormous and when other women around are doing it 'for their families' ...it is not easy to refuse.You can imagine the price she would have to pay for it at home.

Very often these women are made to feel like the saviors of their family, the person who raised the standard of the family,a person who gave a better future to the kids .It is like renting out the woman's womb is a viable option . The more this happens,the harder it becomes to refuse.She often has not much choice when it comes to having her own children. Soon she will not have an option when having other peoples children.

The law may look very harsh...but it is right for our country where life is very cheap,the life of women cheaper and the life of poor women has very little value.

Lathasv, Rihana, sslkgpaa and 2 others like this.
  7. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

I am not sure whether to support this bill towards gays but rest of the categories I totally agree and give a thumbs up to this bill.
    Is it criminal to be gay in India.? Someone clarify please.

8. yellowmango

Homosexuality is not legal.
    While being gay or accepting your sexual preference may not get one jail time,being caught in the act which is often referred to as"unnatural sex" is a criminal offense .
    Sad but this is it for now.The govt seems to be divided on this with some liberal members calling out for change while the traditional lot still against it.

madras2018, Rajkum846 and SeekingMind like this.
  9. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

It is sad when we compare how open our society was during the ancient times compared to this "modern" age.
    Somewhere down the line, our society entered the dark ages, to keep up with the new world religions probably.

madras2018 and yellowmango like this.
  10. yellowmango

It is not really an anti gay law . Homosexuality is not legal in India.Hence there is no question of same sex marriages for now at least.It is against single people of all sexualities from seeking surrogate pregnancies.

The law is against single people,non Indians and people who already have children ,seeking surrogate pregnancies.

It ban commercial surrogacy but keeps th option of surrogacy by close relatives in case of married couple who have tried for 5 years . It limits the number of pregnancies for a surrogate(one) and puts an age limit of the couples seeking surrogate pregnancy.

sslkgpaa likes this.