Pensée: E & G Chatter

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Oriana, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, beware of the ishara -
    .... zara anjaam soch lo - ishaaron ko agar samjo to mod ko mod rehne do
    !

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    ashima10 and Viswamitra like this.
  2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations @Rihana ..
    Two mods for one forum..wow...who would have thought...E and G would give Rel forum a run for its money!

ashima10 and Rihana like this.
  3. justanothergirl

@sokanasanah
    About the link .... interesting model but dont u think..its too simplistic a projection. One needs to account for changes in social norms..atleast at the pace its already happening.

4. sokanasanah

You are referring to the India paper.
    I agree - I posted it for 'coffee-chat' value!:smilingimp:
    And because the young Ms.Ridhi (Dr.?) is at Oxford - no husband for her!:yikes:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    justanothergirl likes this.
  5. justanothergirl

I agree - I posted it for 'coffee-chat' value!:smilingimp:
    :argue:I wanted to pick a fight with u...
    cant u humor me :rage: for a change and say...its valid model and write a 3rd order PDE to prove it :smash2::biggrin::biggrin:

6. sokanasanah

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@sokanasanah,

Your explanation of how one goes about researching a topic was well received. I have also keenly read your response that anyone who is exploring science is a scientist and all the degrees are only an addition. It must be a pleasure for your students to work with someone like you.

One thing I don't understand so far is the process of writing qualifier exam to determine whether someone will continue as a researcher or not by many educational institutions.

After someone reaches that level of knowledge to focus on a specific subjects, is it necessary to test their skills in specific subjects through something like an entrance test? Don't their grades in mandatory classes and papers they publish speak volume about their curiosity to research?

I value your opinion and hence this question.

Viswa

8. sokanasanah

Blame the Chinese and the Germans for inventing examinations!:lol:
    This is just one of those rites of passage ... varies with department and field. In the UK, there are no quals. Harvard physics has only an oral quals, while Berkeley and MIT are simply horrific with brutal written and oral exams. For mathematics, the idea is to test maturity (proof skills), conceptual understanding, relationships, rather than computational fluency, which is mostly all that most routine exams can attest to. In the biomedical sciences, the task is to write a research proposal - in some places it's about your own area, in others it's anything but your own area. So, it varies. Having said that, even if you flunk your quals, you won't be kicked out of the program. You can take it again, usually at least three times. It's sort of a trial by fire, perhaps a sign of the times. Recall that calculus which stymies many students right off the bat, is 400 years old! So a bright high-school student is current up to the mid 1600s!

Speaking about the explosive growth of physics in the 20s and 30s, Dirac is said to have remarked that 'it was very easy in those days for second rate physicists to do first rate work'. They didn't need quals, they just jumped right in. Now this is not so easy .... I am often tempted to complain about this sort of thing, but then I know some truly bright people who defined and solved their chosen problems even before they had made a thesis proposal! That is chastening.:eek:

vaidehi71, Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Oral qualifier or even writing a research proposal appears to be a decent approach. Defending the proposal, if taken seriously, would serve the purpose of finding the proficiency of the student. But asking a student who got "Grade A" in various mandatory subjects to again go through the lectures and ask homework questions in a Qual exam appears to be senseless.

You appeared to have read my mind. The situation I am discussing here is exactly what you have described. A chosen problem has been solved by the student even before the student made a thesis proposal. In addition, the student has successfully presented a paper in an international conference and has at least 4 papers published in the international journals to the student's credit.

Viswa

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What if persons in the environs understand 'bains' meaning? : )

When we new to the U.S., a friend used to tell a story - he once got pulled over by a cop for speeding. The African-American cop said he would let the guy go with a warning if he promised to tell his desi friends not to call African-Americans as Kallu. We were new and believed the story. NOt sure if it was true.

kala akshar bains barabar - can't tell diff between a written letter and a buffalo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.