1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rejecting All-girls, All-boys School, College?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rihana, Aug 25, 2016.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

There the stats would favor the daughters not the sons!:roflmao:

vaidehi71 likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I just did a Ctrl-F on my posts and mind. : ) No worry about the 'single sex' : ) The worry if any is about single gender.

sex::gender as vasthu :: feng shui. :) Same but not. :)

===========

Aah.. Caltech.. the website candidly says "99% of students placed in the top tenth of their high school graduating class"

vaidehi71 likes this.
  3. sokanasanah

Yes, that was a joke .... re: gender fluidity, its cultural component and whatnot ...:roflmao:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I went to both kinds of schools (Girls only and co-ed, no experience of boys-only) I had vastly different experiences. Not sure if that can be attributed to the gender alone. Class and religious affiliation played a bigger role in how the schools turned out.

I had lots of growth opportunities in women-only college. There were tons of things I tried out for the first time in college. I am not sure I would have done them in a co-ed college because of all the extra ragging and booing that girls get subjected to. There is no judgement, no subtle you-can't-do-it-because-you-are-a-girl. In fact my friend and I would sigh a relief going back to our all women rajyam after the inter-collegiate culturals.

Women's colleges in India also tend to attract quite a few feminists, so there is more encouragement to go-for-it. The downside is that they tended to be all academic and less practical compared to male professors, so if one wanted career advice, they were not the best people to go to. Of course in our time, there was no Soka to ask for advice;)

Gender is the last criterion for choosing a school/college for my kids. Would want them to study in co-ed schools throughout, however if daughter chooses women-only college, its vokay. I am not sure son can survive in a boys-only college :)

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Ayyoo I wasnt talking about that ..... when @sokanasanah talked about wifey/hubby for my kids during grad school
    I meant given where I live..I can only hope for opp sex spouse for the kids. Ready for everything.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Asian /boy/ income (cough cough) ....I will be glad if they make it into UCs.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  7. sokanasanah

Nahin re ... I meant easier to find a husband at MIT than a wife, i.e. female choice (mate choice) prevails! I was trying to make fun of stereotypes - MIT as egghead, math-y male bastion, with men outnumbering women 10-to-1. So a girl has her pick. The guys may have to look father afield.
    Heaven knows these days you could probably get a Gender Studies degree at MIT.
    I'm afraid to look!:lol:

Shanvy, justanothergirl and vaidehi71 like this.
  8. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

I would prefer a co-ed institution for my kids.

I studied in a girls-only school and college. I didn't have any brothers or cousins to mingle with as well. That was a huge issue for me later on. When I was thrust into the MNC culture, I couldn't really cope with the things. I had a tough time talking or mingling with guys. It took me 5 years to get adjusted.

I don't want my kids to suffer like me.

vaidehi71 and Rihana like this.
  9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

My experience made me opt for co-ed schools for my kids. Initially i did not even understand the need for single sex schools

I was in coed till 10th, and have a more boys in the environment at home but went to a girls-only for 11th and 12th. Most of the girls in my 11th std were from all girls school. For many , boys were like the forbidden thing. More girls had affairs, every year 1-2 eloped, there were even case of 2 suicides because of BGRs. Some couldnt treat boys as peers, and were very self-conscious in their presence. A couple of my friends who went with me to the same University ( which had a much higher male ratio) the adapting was much harder. One frequently had crushes , though she was tongue tied in their presence.

Girls school had some advantages too - you dont depend on boys to do any stuff for you, there is greater room for growth for your feminine side.

At work, I felt some young men to were very awkward when dealing with women, my guess is coming from highly male-dominated courses like engineering made it hard for them.

However, after some debates and reading up I do see the benefits of single gender schools. Where I live, schools have all girls or boys schools for the age group 13-16. These schools being top schools are in high demand. The idea is as the children hit adolescence, the physical/emotional changes make them feel uneasy/awkward/distracted in the presence of the opposite gender on a daily basis. By 16, they are settled into their roles and are more comfortable mingling. I feel that is may be more true for boys.

Rihana and blindpup10 like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

well i studied in a co-ed all through.(well afterschool hour restrictions were a lot, but nothing could put off the strong spirit he he). did it have any advantage? Never thought about it so much. have never had any issue with talking or expressing my opinions, still do the same, even if i am the only female in the group..and my husband is from a all boys/men's college through and through, he also did not have any issues.

Ri, i can understand school, but college, really..it is so difficult to get into a good one, that gender criteria would never pop. until i read this thread, i did not even bother to think on those lines when my DD got into a women's college (well it is not a girl's college for us..it is a women's), i do wonder why most arts and science colleges are either men's or women's sans a few..and only recently there has been a shift in a few courses in a very reputed men's college. well my dd was into co-ed schools (9 of them actually by the time she completed her 12th) and was more comfy around boys and let us say the girl's were not so accepting her into their fold..she was the new comer, while most of them studied from lkg..she ended up making a few good friends as time went though.

enter college, it was a shock..the reason most of them were coming in from all girl's school to women's college. and there was too much talk about ****, drinks and affairs..it is like a tightly wound rubber gets a little space to un wind...lol, she found it very difficult initially. the college had inter college culturals,(all men and women college participated) and much more and full paisa vasool, i actually paid in par with engg. college fees @butterflyice that's a nice phrase..and i worked out the paisa after 5 years caltech and i mentally made up sell the property and be done with it...lol

if i am given a chance, would not worry too much on the exclusive gender based school/ co-eds..what matters more for me- is it worth the effort, will my kid enjoy and learn not become one in the herd..

i would try to find if it would work for my kiddo, if given a choice. if i do not have one, then kiddo learns and adapts and adepts to the atmosphere and be with them and be apart at the same time like mine did. (Just asked her and all the things she told me i am :fearscream::fearscream:).

Rihana, butterflyice and vaidehi71 like this.