1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Swing

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

How does one feel to be the resident of a swing or battleground state? Please don’t read the line earlier with reference to swingers as referenced in a person who lives uninhabited life style nor as a person who lives in a state that fights too many civil wars or revolutions. I live in one of the swing states that remains such since time immemorial.

Earlier, this state was only known for orange farming, white-sand beaches, keys (small Islands) and retirees earlier. This state’s warm climate has made it one of the most popular retirement and vacation spots for people from other states, and from overseas. Three out of four residents originally come from outside the state, an influx which has led to rapid urbanization. The arrival of very successful educational institutions, launching pad for spacecraft and Mickey Mouse have only enhanced industrialization and new workforce in this state. Now, the state that used to be for tourism, development of hospitality industry, golf courses, etc. has turned out to be a state with ever increasing population of varying age, race, ethnic background and religion. This state has a very strong history of 400+ years of Hispanic heritage making it necessary for every voice mail to be both in English and Spanish. Most children in the school learn English and Spanish as languages.

Now back to the subject, what it takes to be a resident of a swing or battleground state? I am sure none of you had forgotten what happened in the Presidential election in 2000, the millennium year. Two political parties focused so much on this state resulting in people voting equally to both parties. Butterfly ballet became the talk of the nation questioning the intellectual capabilities of the residents of this state. Thank God that Democrat’s Donkey and Republican’s Elephant symbol were made long back as otherwise, every party including third alternatives will go for Gator symbol in this state creating further confusion.

Continuing the nightmare in 2000, the ballet was counted and recounted as per instructions from the Republican governor who happened to be the brother of the Republican Presidential Candidate as the difference was only 400 in a state with a population of over 16 million in 2000 (now it is close to 19 million). Some questioned whether deployed soldiers’ votes from the Southern Command were counted or not. Finally, the decision went to the court and the lower court declared the Republican candidate as the winner. The appeal was made to the Florida Supreme Court and that court ordered a recount questioning whether a President would assume office in January 2001. Finally, the US Supreme Court nullified the order of the Florida Supreme Court and declared the Republican Presidential candidate as a winner. In general, as per the constitution, only the President gets to nominate the Supreme Court Judges and that was the first time the Supreme Court decided who would be the next President of the United States.

In the year 2016, again this Presidential election is a closely contested one. The sitting Governor is a Republican while the population of the state is again equally divided between the two political parties. Every poll in this state indicates that this Presidential contest is going to be closely contested. Unfortunately, one of the major topics before the electorate is which party’s nominee would nominate the ninth Supreme Court Judge vacancy at the highest court as it is now divided 4-4 between conservatives and liberals.

Now, let us assume a scenario where the two Presidential candidates achieve equal number or close to equal number of electoral votes from all other states except Florida and decision of the Florida state voters would determine who would be the next President of the United States. This could happen in the next 75 days to thanks to the Republican candidate softening his immigration policy and Democratic candidate getting inundated with alleged email and charitable foundation scandals. I don’t believe in the national polls much after seeing what happened in the UK. What if the Florida residents vote equally to both parties? Who will decide who get to be the President of the United States in the absence of clear majority in the Supreme Court? Somehow, I get a feeling that the US election is heading in the similar lines like Brexit with a slogan “Take back your country”. If I vote for one of the political parties, I will be responsible for a mess and if I decide not to vote, even then, I will be responsible for a mess. Now, please go back and read the first line in this snippet.
    :yikes::argue::BangHead:

Balajee and Akanksha1982 like this.

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Viswa Sir, your vote is valuable and will decide the next President of the United States. I wonder how is the life there with toooooooo many political advertisements on radio, TV, newspapers?
    Here in a safe Blue state, one doesn't even feel that this is an election year. No one spends on advertising. At least there should be some ads. I miss them. I am looking forward to the debates and the SNL season.
    What Trump said was impossible and I knew he would have to change his stance to even have any chance of winning.
    Personally, would love to see the first woman POTUS. I don't see any other woman leader on the horizon.

Viswamitra likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Dear Akanksha,

Your first sentence puts a very big burden on me. :) Advertisements are only one part of the headache. In addition, both candidates have already visited our city. Campaigns will now inundate our emails or phone lines with contribution requests from volunteers. Finally, we will begin receiving personal prerecorded messages from the candidates, a week before the election.

I am looking forward to the debates too. I wish other states make this election an easy one by deciding the President even before the votes are counted in Florida.

Viswa

Akanksha1982 likes this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I wish I lived in a swing state. We are in a solidly blue state so we don't get to see any of the candidates in action, though the neighboring state is heavily in play. Trump often holds rallies there and much as I would like to go see the show I am afraid I will get kicked out.
    This election could have had better people running, and I don't have much faith in polls showing HRC with a comfortable lead. However Trump is not doing himself any favors by flopping all over the issues like a dying fish. His positions on many issues are abhorrent to common decency.
    This year if a situation similar to Florida 2000 occurs it will be even more intriguing because the Supreme court is evenly divided. Who will break a tie?
    If the polling sites are to be believed, HRC has many paths to 270 even without Florida but it will be crucial for Trump to pick up the state. So your wish may still come true, Viswa Sir.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I knew Trump will water down his xenophobic rant when compulsions of realpolitik bit him. Hillary faces so many scams including wikileaks expose' that she helped arm ISIS. Trump cannot afford to be anti immigrant for two reasons. First, he has business interests in many countries from where the immigrants come. For instance his real estate biz has interests in India where in many places Trump Towers are coming up. Secondly, well off immigrants (particularly rich Indians) support him because they expect taxes to be lowered. and a freer hand with business. From the beginning I had suspected that the anti-immigrant rhetoric is just an attempt to attract poor and lower middle class white voters who are afraid that immigrants willing to work for a lower wage would take their jobs away. Wait the re is also a third reason. He himself is son of migrants, his father being a migrant from Germany and mother from Scotland and all his wives from the fabled Ivana onwards, have been migrants!

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

@MalStrom,

I don't know how many colored people would survive the roughing up of Trump campaign. I am glad you are in a Blue state. Those polls could change very quickly. Both candidates are going to get close to each other in the next two months. Trump is trained to flip-flop on all his policy positions that made him win the primary.

I hope other than Florida state determines the election this year.

Viswa

7. Viswamitra

Dear Balajee,

You appear to be very knowledgeable about the Trump campaign's strategy. The first step was to get the nomination with specific policy positions and then change it to win the general election. He knew all along anti-immigrant policy won't work but used it to win the Republican primary. Now he is changing it with newly recruited CEO and Campaign Manager. The Campaign Manager is good but the CEO appears to have a shady past which worries everyone.

We will wait and see what happens in the next couple of months.

Viswa

8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

So this proves why Viswa's writings cause a swing in our minds - blame it on the swing state.

IMO - the lady will make it and now am worried how would the former president be called - first lady?

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Jeez! I hope you are saying the word "swing" in the right context! I have been under fire for a while in IL now.

This is the first time in the history of the US, a woman could be elected President and a former President would live with her. How does "First Gentleman" or "First Spouse" sound?

Viswa

GoogleGlass likes this.
  10. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

ha ha ha

Viswa I did in the right context to swing away from the right winged :)

Hope he doesn't get involved with the interns on return.

Viswamitra likes this.