1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rejecting All-girls, All-boys School, College?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rihana, Aug 25, 2016.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

My experience with educational institutions is one long, sorry tale of woe. You wouldn't want to inflict that on your children, not even in your wildest moments of mum outrage, believe you me. I live to tell the tale only because, growing up in staid, conservative India, I was too timid to imagine alternatives. I simply buckled down and zombied my way to school and through an 'education'. Had I even one 300C homeopathic amount of an independent spirit back then, I'd have turned into a surf bum. One could well say that I was saved by my singular lack of imagination - dullness has its privileges.

vaidehi71, ashima10 and Rihana like this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

jskls and Rihana like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Pro'lly not a coincidence. Even HBO's John Oliver had a long piece on Charter Schools last Sunday. It's the time of the year, I think.

Tempted to do the same. Tired of spending a few hrs each week on researching the supplementing. To add to the confusion, got to know some parents are opting for online high school. I am in awe of their ability to go into uncharted waters.

4. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

@sokanasanah ,You just described my school life in better language.

I studied from 5 th till I finished my degree in all girls school. I don't know if I missed anything not being in co ed.

I simply hated the school days, the fact that, I have to study and the comparison I had to go though the book worms, school toppers around me and finish degree so I don't have to get married to a ' kadely nikkane chekkan ' ( the store helper boy) because my mom kept telling me no one want to marry a girl who does not have a degree. :shakehead:

I never had any problem talking to boys then or men now. My brother is just 2 years elder to me and lot of same age boys were around neighborhood. This might have helped, I don't know.

I consider myself as a late bloomer, I have turned to be a cheerful very talkative person,with always a smile on the face, others think i'm very confident ( basement weak, building strong category ) I don't think my all girl school/college has anything to do with it.

When it come to my children, being in US, I don't think all girls/boys was much of an option for me, but now when she talk about going to " Europe and doing her UG" I ruled it out with out discussion.
    We are in a tug war of she studying in state vs out of state.

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I went to an all girls school and college. I didn't have any issues interacting with the boys. We had many in the neighborhood and in our social circles. We always played with each other, then hung out with each other, then bunked college and met each other at the movies :)

My daughter is going through the public school system. My son is going to go to an all boys private school. We were looking at an all girls private school for my DD, the reason we didn't proceed with that was because my dh felt she would become too entitled. Especially since our close friends with daughters her age were all sending the kids to public schools. I didn't even think about the school being girls only. I was looking at opportunities and exposure.

Reg college, I don't think our inputs are even going to be considered. I don't mind her going to an all girls college but I think the criteria on the table would be is it worth the dough? Small private colleges are expensive!

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am talking to the U.S. Mint about shipping me a coin that is same on both sides. : ) Only such a coin toss can decide this to my satisfaction. : )

JustAnotherMom and Laks09 like this.
  7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Schools I would stick with co-ed. At 18 if I have raised them right they wouldnt choose a college because its one-gender. So if they did choose one because of other considerations then I wouldn’t stop them either because it not co-ed.

jskls, vaidehi71 and Rihana like this.
  8. sokanasanah

So, I guess the plan is to meet future husband/wife in med-school or HBS? :thumbsup:

vaidehi71 likes this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Given where I live ........:roflmao:I would only be too happy if that were the case.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  10. sokanasanah

Good choice - if it's any consolation, I agree. She is more likely to thrive in the US. If it's the European experience she is after, then grad-school in Europe is a better bet.
    Depends on the state, field of interest and branding aspirations, but in a general sense, the finances alone are enough of a deterrent to going out of state. Starting life with massive debt is a manageable trade-off only in a teenager's mind.

Apologies for the digression.

vaidehi71, Rihana and JustAnotherMom like this.