1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Birthday Chennai

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

The Chennai we all saw decades back is no more the same, with money minded citizens trying to make a pie out of each and every bit of free space. Trying to walk between The small stretch between MANDAVELI and Mylapore is hell, with vehicles of all sizes occupying every mm of road space. One can even walk in the moon, but try walking here, you realise it is a living hell. But born and brought up here, I simply love my Home land with all its moles and dark spots. I am lucky that I still get to see the planes flying high, between monstrous concrete structures and also enjoy some occasional sea breeze. Thank you for your heart felt appreciation and FB.

Agatha83

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Maggi,

A big thank you.

Agatha83

maggi32 likes this.
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Paulina,

I am so happy that my space was instrumental in bringing long lost members of IL family together. I am so happy that unlike my greying hair which reflects my age spontaneously, my writing doesn't show my age. Aha! Now I can say I am sweet sixteen, courtesy Paulina!

Agatha83

maggi32 likes this.
  4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hello @Agatha83 !

Congratulations on being nominated to FP by @Balajee followed by @creativemind23 !

Thanks to their nomination that I got to read this snippet about Chennai, also my favorite city! No, I am not a Chennaiite although I was born there at my grandmother's house, It was because of my grandparents that I hold very fond memories of Chennai. We always went to Chennai during our Christmas holidays. It was cooler then and the visits to the beach, Adayar banyan tree, ice cream parlours and the highlight of the exhibition every year around that time at my grandfather's club are all too sweet and etched in my mind and heart. Most of our relatives lived there while we lived in Bangalore where my parents had settled.

Well, times have changed many things in a big way. If some feel few years have changed Chennai, I feel few decades has made my magical Madras into Chennai which is a stranger to me now, being away from India for so many decades.

But the hustle and bustle of Chennai that you write about, the odd mixture of smells, both good and bad mingled with heat, noise and pollution is not privy to Chennai alone. Even the beautiful Bangalore, excuse me, Bengaluru, is not spared from it nor any other big bustling cities of our country.

I can put up with many slow developments in our country. But I sincerely hope that our country cleans up first. If we had clean roads, curbs and public places, I bet we can feel not only pride in our culture and soil, but also our cities and townships!

Very well written, I enjoyed reading it! Hope Chennai will really stand up to its pet name..Singara Chennai!

L, Kamla

creativemind23, Agatha83 and kaniths like this.
  5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamla,

Very happy to be appreciated by our super moderator, and in fact I feel more like a school girl given a pat on her back, by her teacher for the good work done. The one reason I love IL very much that it makes me feel years younger, far better than the mirror which reflects my true age.
    Decades back, the only source of entertainment for kids like us was exhibitions in Island grounds, Circus which was either Gemini or Russian circus, visit to the Moore Market complex and of course the Santhome beach. All these places were less crowded and more clean. Now things have changed and the whole city looks like a garbage bin. People have lost the civic sense and it is sad to see the entire infrastructure crumbling, without much care. I would like to live in a Singara Chennai very much, but alas it is turning in to a Bayankara (dreadful) Chennai due to increasing crime rates.
    Thank you for your awesome FB.

Agatha83

Kamla likes this.