1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Birthday Chennai

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vaidehi,

Nice to see you here after a long time. As you have pointed out rightly, the quiet Madras we all grew up has changed in to a noisy Madras. Burgeoning population and an explosion of vehicles has changed the scenario completely- sickening and maddening. Senior citizens are the ones who are most affected with no peace at all and the sickening noise pollution. Thank you for your nice FB.

Agatha83

vaidehi71 likes this.
  2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

First of all congrats for being nominated. As I have told before every post of yours go right tot he finest forum. You write so well and I feel I am there with you seeing what you saw and enjoying what you enjoyed. I was in Chennai I think till I was five years old then we shifted to Pune, then to Hyderabad and finally now in Mumbai. When I think of Chennai I think of T. Nagar and all the shops there. Have gone to Chennai only for short visits when any marriage function is there. Last I had visited for my husband's friend's son's marriage only for two days but it was a memorable one because I met Cheeniya Sir who came to see me in the marriage hall, some old ILites arranged for a meet in a friend's house and another ILIte came and picked us and dropped back. Another ILite also came and took us to her house and dropped back. That short visit was a memorable visit. I am not taking their names because you wont be knowing them andsome are not active now

maggi32 and Agatha83 like this.
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Viji for your lovely FB. You are very lavish in your praise, but I am not sure whether I deserve it, because there are a whole of ILs who are terrific writers. I like your friendly nature of liking to keep in touch with IL members in real, which I am unable to do due to personal reasons. I am new to this place, Oophs already nearing one year this November, but I feel a lot of ILs missing in action including Cheeniya sir. I would be happy if you can bring back that lively atmosphere back in IL.

Agatha83

iyerviji likes this.
  4. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Agatha....Superb post !.What a beautifully woven colourful tapestry as Chennai's birthday gift.Your writeup was a great trip down memory lane as I had spent my high school and college years here and have settled down here now after retirement."The old order changeth yielding place to new"....no doubt....but even with the rise of Malls and Mulitiplexes the aroma of filter coffee,fragrance of jasmine flowers ,perfume of joss sticks and strains of Carnatic ragas and music still reign supreme and hopefully will always remain evergreen.

Agatha83 and iyerviji like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

You really deserve it and no doubt about it. Ya I have met many IL members some from Dubai, when I had gone there, one IL member in Coimbatore, In Bangalore first time we had a meet, then I had gone two three times andmet many ILs, ILs from Malaysia, Egypt, Bahrain had come to my place , who are now back to India. They are not active now in IL. I had started a thread in IL Coffee Mornings and How are you and everyday we used to share our experiences there and have nice time , now many are not active. Really miss those days and miss those friends. Ya dont know what happened to Cheeniya Sir.

What a surprise I had written about Paulina that she came and picked me up and dropped back when I was in Chennai and she has given fb to you. She isvery friendly and loving. I have met Satchitananda and Srama also, Satchi I have met three, four times and she also had come to my place. Thanks for bringing back sweet memories. Many of them who are not active in IL we chat through whatsapp

6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Paulina,

It is a wonderful feeling to get appreciation from one who has tucked so many awards behind one's name in this forum. I am happy that I could trigger a wave of nostalgia, reminding you of your school and college days. I am a senior citizen, but still emotionally attached to the old charming Madras where I grew up. Thank a lot for your heart warming FB.

Agatha83

Paulina likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Agatha,

I don't know whether to admire your skill in writing in a second language or appreciate your presentation of Singara Chennai as of today. When I think of recent Chennai, I only remember the bumper to bumper traffic, high rise apartments visible in the skylines, sprawling campuses of IT companies, huge Malls where people pay a fortune to park the cars, buses overflowing with people, newly-developed hotels of international standards, theater complexes, etc. coexisting with Coovam and Adyar river besides Marina beach.

Having lived in Chennai as a young boy and again as a CA student, I only dream those days of calm, tranquil and serene Chennai. Hugh houses built with a fence, so many play grounds, trees in every big roads, sparrows making noise throughout the day, Children walking the street to go to school, vibrating visits to the Temples, Mylapore Teppakulam celebration, deserted Adyar with rarely a bus crossing Guindy Road, a road leading up to Polytechnics and Film Institute filled with trees on either side used by so many to jog in the morning and the beautiful Marina Beach stressing a long distance without any memorials, a silent Gandhi Mandapam which is a great place to meditate, Deer crossing signs across Guindy road with an opportunity see the deer crossing from time to time, IIT and Governor's Banglow not infested with a busy traffic, free and open NH4 highway, etc.

Every time, the plane lands in Chennai, the emotions are very high and it brings pleasant memories of that wonderful city of people who set an example for hospitality. Happy birthday to my favorite city.

Viswa

Agatha83, maggi32 and Paulina like this.
  8. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi there Viji my dear buddy,....Excuse me,:blush: a thousand apologies dear Agatha for using your platform to greet dear Viji. BTW you said you are a Senior Citizen.....find it hard to believe....there is so much of the enthusiasm of youth in every word or line that you have penned here.....:beer-toast1: to you and Viji too.

maggi32, Agatha83 and iyerviji like this.
  9. maggi32

maggi32 IL Hall of Fame

I loved it & 100 Likes for your narrative style :)

Agatha83 likes this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

I am also glad to see here Paulina dear, I just wrote to Agatha that you came and picked us and took to your house and next day seeyour post. You did not feel I am a senior citizen when you saw me. I just completd 73 years on 19th August. Thanks for your compliments dear though we dont see each other or in touch always remember you and the time spent with you in your house, those are sweet memories