Pensée: E & G Chatter

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Oriana, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Since you are a novice, I'll tell you another thing - the only person referred to as 'ji' around here is Gauri03, as in 'G-ji', 'mod-ji' or 'Gauri-ji'. The only person referred to as 'Sir' is Viswa, as in 'Viswamitra Sir'.
    Let's see, the 'Friends' tv show began airing in 1994 .... I was in daycare then .... sooooo, if we do the math, I'm just in my late twenties / early thirties now. That's why I'm so hot-headed sometimes and Gauri-ji feels that I'm giving her a 'dressing down' - but since she is mature, I'm always forgiven! :cool:

2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Thank you, Gauri ! Appreciate your help. Since it is not up to my strengths to translate the content in to English, I am giving the link to a thread created in Snippets of Life --Regional Posts Section தமிழில் வடமொழி எழுத்துருக்கள் பயன்பாடு -- A Thread For Linking Purpose

Please do the needful to my original entry.

Thank you ! :)

Regards,

Pavithra

vaidehi71, kaniths and Gauri03 like this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Have edited the response here and copied contents to new thread. @PavithraS I do not have editing or closing privileges in that forum. You could tag your moderators Arunarc or Cheeniya to close the thread.

Induslady and PavithraS like this.
  4. Gauri03

Dr S, the very embodiment of the post-millennial spirit!! #YOLO :rolleyes:

5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

:oops::oops:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Gauri03 likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Soka,

I can't speak for Gauri but I have an allergy for "Ji" or "Sir". Most here are half of my age very close to the age of my son or a little over that age (perhaps, I should say of "your age" :)). I have told many of them to address me as "Viswa" and they are reluctant. I left it to their discretion to address me however they feel like.

Viswa

7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I know - I was making fun of that reluctance!:lol:
    I have actually had Indian students (in India) argue with me that I shouldn't stop them from showing respect.:wink1: I generally try to get around this by suggesting that almost at the very moment that you step into the halls of science in a search for truth and beauty, you become a scientist; everything else (age, degrees, honors) are superficial accretions; that very young people have been known to make great contributions to science, and it is this leveling spirit in the pursuit of a common goal that we seek to emphasize with the informality. In the United States and the UK this spirit is somewhat easier to sustain, but Europe is a bit closer to India. One famous mathematician, Felix Klein I think it was, liked his students to address him with the full German "Herr Doktor Professor" thing, while Hilbert (if I remember correctly) was pretty chill.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ahem.. each vote(r) counts (especially in FL : ) ) some might be close to (dad's age + son's age)/2. : )

I too prefer using regular member name only, or a shortened version of it when addressing members. Once in a remote while, like a child trying out mom's saree, I like to hear a Ma'am. : )

=======
    While on the topic of names - I've often wondered is there any protocol in addressing members by their very wellknown real names. Does one ask for permission? Wait to be invited? Just log in one day and starting using it? : )

While on the topic of age - one gets an approximate idea of a member's age from posts etc. Perhaps I haven't read enough of GoogleGlass's posts, but the idle mind idly wondered if GG's moment of gracing the earth was circa Viswa's time, circa Soka's time, or later...

Yay! I used circa in a sentence. : )

GoogleGlass, Viswamitra and jskls like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Gauri, good to see C&H back in your avatar.

kaniths, I literally went closer to the monitor to peer at your avatar : ) are those glowing worms? what's the story behind them? Explain without a facepalm. : )

10. Gauri03

Anyone notice the new tag under @Rihana 's user ID? :D E&PG has a new moderator!! Welcome Rihana ji!!

All future brickbats maybe directed at her! Phew! G is going back to making puzzles! : )

Amica, kaniths, Induslady and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.