Pensée: E & G Chatter

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Oriana, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Perfect example of a Sanskrit loan word! Neither 'hamsa' or 'dvani' is Tamil, but that 'h' is unavoidable!:wink1:
    Guys! I'm not trying to lay down the law - note that I did use the 'h' but I wrote 'vastrabaharana' i.e. in a Sanskritic form (not 'nam) as it might be in Tamil. (A senthamizh-p-pulavar would not even say 'vastra'!. 'Amma' might, Karunanidhi won't!).

I was trying to make some room for OP's formulation by pointing out that Tamil speakers often elide the 'h'. To be honest, I don't even know whether OP has a Tamil background .... just trying to extend @Laks09's observation!:roflmao:

Gauri03, vaidehi71, jskls and 2 others like this.
  2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2016
    Viswamitra, Gaiya3, periamma and 4 others like this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

PavithraS likes this.
  4. PavithraS

What at first started as 'Vastraapaharan'(removal of Draupadi's cloth) by Dushaasan, later became 'Vastraabharan' (adorning Draupadi with abundant of cloths) by Sri Krishna, is not it ? Just a thought. Nothing to do with that thread and related replies or the meaningful conversations going on here. My Sanskrit is not good either :blush:Thanks.

5. sokanasanah

Not sure whether the Sanskrit poetry is employed in this 'robing/disrobing' way in the ur-texts, but it ought to be! I enjoyed this! :clap2:

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No. We can discuss Tamil, Tamil words and etymology but nothing will justify entire posts in Tamil in E&PG. Same would apply to any other language. Sorry, Pavithra.

I understand there are sections in IL where posts are in other languages, and this is allowed, but please not in E&PG.

PavithraS likes this.
  7. PavithraS

Oh,Rihana , please do not be. Yours is a very valid point. I am 100% in agreement with you. Since I was tagged and found myself in a position to answer a certain question regarding Tamil language, I replied in Tamil for my own comfort. If my post or digression had irritated anybody please accept my unconditional apologies. I request the moderator @Gauri03 or the admin staff @IL_Admin, or @Jey or @Induslady to please remove my post in its entirety since my point of view has reached its targeted audience. Sorry for the inconvenience. :)

kaniths and Rihana like this.
  8. sokanasanah

That was a good post though, but yes it's unfortunate to exclude non-speakers. One solution is to place the Tamil post in an appropriate thread that allows regional languages and then simply add a link and short explanation in English in E&PG! :thumbsup:

I do not want it to be deleted!!!!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  9. PavithraS

Oh ! What an idea Sir ji ! I am a novice in blogging world. Certain things I need to learn. Linking of posts is one among many. Sure will remember this. Thank you ! :)

vaidehi71 likes this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@PavithraS can you provide an English summary, even a brief one? I will append it to the post. If not possible, then give me the link to a thread where I can move the post and link back here. I really don't want to delete it. A lot of folks seem to have appreciated the post. I'm sure it is a valuable contribution. Just wish I and others like me could have read it too.

Viswamitra and PavithraS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.