1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby Care In The Us With Little Help Or No Help

Discussion in 'Infants' started by blindpup10, Aug 17, 2016.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@Bubbles- Really good info on cord blood banking. My knowledge about cord blood banking is limited to Grey's Anatomy :D. I got a ton of calls from Cord blood Banking marketers. Never took it seriously. I appreciate that you shared info in detail.

Bubbles likes this.
  2. blindpup10

Nursing and Formula

1. Have an idea to nurse or to go for formula. Most of the Indian woman will opt to nurse their children. Have an idea but don’t hold on to the idea if it doesn’t work out.

2. Sometimes although you might be interested to nurse, babies may not latch or simply may have low-BM flow. Don’t regret too much over it. Ideally, WHO recommends babies to be breastfed for at least 12 months, if you are able to breastfeed for at least 4 months. Your baby should be good.

3. Benefits of breastfeeding- Not only BM is very good for babies, breastfeeding has its benefits on woman’s body too. A woman who breastfeeds has less chance of getting breast cancer and uterus shrinks as long as you breastfeed.

I will share a link which talks about benefits of breastfeeding. Will breastfeeding help make my uterus shrink to its pre-pregnancy size? | BabyCenter
    Office on Women's Health Why breastfeeding is important
    Breastfeeding Overview

4. Eating fenugreek and Dill leaves helps in increasing the BM flow. This really worked for me- I ate fenugreek soaked overnight in water (drank the soaked water too). I ate it once in the early morning day and once in the evening straight for 6 months. My mother also sent me menthya powder to be made as porridge. I am not sure about methi leaves. Talk to your mother/ aunts/ friends about homemade remedies. My OB even told me to take fenugreek pills (these didn’t work). Eating Dill leaves sauteed helps too. As I was doing a couple of things together like eating dill/ fenugreek seeds/ menthya porridge so not entirely sure which one is the real deal.

5.Wrist pains- After a month of breastfeeding my DS. I suddenly had wrist pains. It became difficult to even lift 8-10 lb DS. I emailed my OB telling what was happening and she directed that I should talk to my PCP. After a quick appointment with my PCP and a blood test (one of my aunts got Rheumatoid Arthritis, so I asked my PCP to do a blood test) I was told to use wrist band for both hands. This is common in new mommies as you will be suddenly using your wrist and hands quite a lot to lift babies.

6. Boppy pillow- My SIL swore by the boppy pillow. I used the regular pillow to nurse my DS. My logic- I wanted to purchase it if my BM flow regulated. I have heard a really good response about the boppy pillow if you are nursing full time. I think it’s a good investment for the next 12 months.

7. Please be on your prenatal when you are breastfeeding. Don’t skip prenatal if you are pumping or nursing. It is essential for the body to have more than healthy food. If your EDD is in the winter I highly suggest you talk to your OB/PCP/ Pediatrician for vitamin D for yourself and the baby.

8. Have some good number of nursing pads. With low-BM flow, I used up 2-3 nursing pads per day, during the first 4 months.

9. I had ordered few different brands of nursing pads, but my favorite brand is Bamboobies super soft- these are really good. I will share the link- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H60BZW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10. Maternity bra’s- have around 7-10 of them. These are a god sent to nurse and even to pump. I just did my own hand free pump by closing the nursing bra with the pump on- It worked for me.:tongueclosed:

11. Maternity gown/ nightie (2 from India and 1 from the US)- I am not a huge fan of the nighties. But wore them during postpartum. Maximum I used these for 3 months. These are quite useful, I was in girdle and thermal inners with leggings- everything so mismatched- the maternity gown covered up the whole mismatches.

12. Breast feeding positions- There are 2-3 methods of breast feeding positions. I usually did the cradle hold. However, pick any position which is comfortable for you and the baby. I will share few links which will be helpful- Positions and tips for making breastfeeding work | BabyCenter

The Best Breastfeeding Positions for Mom and Baby

Poor Breastfeeding Positions | What to Expect

14. Invest in good nipple creams, I had bought a couple of nipple cream before the delivery- The one which gave me good results was Lansinoh HPA. You can find this at any CVS.

15. Breastfeeding problems- I didn’t face much breastfeeding problems apart from sore nipples. However, I will post couple of links which may help-
    15 breastfeeding problems and how to solve them! - Today's Parent
    Top 10 Breastfeeding Problems Solved

Formula
    1. As I have already mentioned- please have an open mind about nursing and also mentally be prepared to formula feed. You may not end up formula feeding at all. Just be mentally ready on this front.

2. Do your research on the brand of formula. I have already mentioned about 2 major brands in the US. There are three types- 1. Powder formula

2. Liquid Concentrated

3. Ready-to-use formula-

Bring these questions to your yet to be pediatricians and discuss with them ahead. I will share some helpful link-

Baby Formulas: Choosing What’s Best for Your Baby
    How to buy baby formula | BabyCenter

3. My DH and I took baby care classes. We were taught the right method to hold the baby, sooth the baby and also to bottle feed. I suggest the first time mommies with less help to takes these classes. It is highly beneficial. In Baby care classes- the instructor showed us different type of bottles and techniques of bottle feeding. I will share some link which might come in handy- Bottle-feeding basics | BabyCenter

Your Step-by-Step Guide to Bottlefeeding

Bottle feeding advice - Pregnancy and baby guide - NHS Choices

4. If you are partially bottle feeding like I did or even if you are pumping- you will need a sterilizer/ BM storing bottles/ nipples. I will share the link of the specific product which worked well for me- This is a Medela bottle which can goes well with the pump. (I still use this as feeding bottle)
    https://www.amazon.com/Medela-Breas...qid=1472054420&sr=1-2&keywords=medela+bottles

As I was using Enfamil ready to feed formula- These nipples could fit both on to the ready to feed bottles and on Medela bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/Enfamil-Stan...ie=UTF8&qid=1472054478&sr=8-1&keywords=nipple

5. The nipples/ breast pump/ feeding bottles/pacifiers have to be sterilized before using. I highly recommend buying a sterilizer if you are thinking of pumping.

6. There are a different kind of feeding bottles- I have my favorites and not so likable ones. I love Dr. Brown’s colic free feeding bottles. The ones I didn’t like so much were Tippe Tommy brand. Tippee Tommy was highly recommended by Baby care instructor as the bottle and the nipple is designed to be like mothers breast.However, Tippee Tommy didn't work out for my DS

Picking a Bottle for Baby

How to buy bottles and nipples | BabyCenter

Choosing nipples and bottles for formula feeding | BabyCenter

7. After your delivery look into purchasing feeding bottles depending on your BM flow. Some may never use feeding bottle until 6 months. At 6 months, you may start directly using Sippy cups. If you are pumping I suggest you still buy storing bottles/ nipples/ bottle warmer (Bottle warmer maybe after the delivery). At 12 months I still use bottle warmer- to warm juices/ baby food. I will share the particular product which worked well for Medela breast pump. Don’t microwave baby’s formula or BM milk- microwaving can create hot spots and unevenly get warm.

8. Cleaning the feeding bottle- How to Clean Baby Bottles

How to Safely Clean Baby Bottles

Parenting and Child Health - Health Topics - Bottle feeding - cleaning and sterilising bottles and equipment

9. After feeding bottles sterilized-

How to store sterile bottles? - Birth-6 Months

What to do with bottles, etc. after sterilizing?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  3. blindpup10

Health and Nutrition
    This is my experience with my DS- everyone is different and every baby is different. This may or may not happen to you-

1. My DS was born during the afternoon, with the recovery process and placing me in the ward. It took a couple of hours and by the time DS and I got settled it was 6 pm. In my Hospital 6 pm is the time nurses change their shifts. I got acquainted with my night nurse. Be very friendly with your first night nurse- You need her. You need her to help you in everything. She is next to God especially on the first night after giving birth.

2. I had got a box of chocolate. I asked my DH to open it and leave it in our room. I made friends with all my nurses by offering them chocolates. There will 2 kinds of nurses- 1. The one who is a trainee they will wear a different color scrubs- they usually help to clean up or fetch you things. These nurses are God sent.
    2. The second kind- Theses nurses will help you/ advice you/ give you medicine monitor you and the baby. These nurses don’t do cleaning or picking up stuff for you.
    Be very nice to both kind of nurses- You need them to take care of you, give you advice and tips.

3. The first night after the birth is very critical- I kind of slept for 4-6 hours maximum and my DH was awake when I slept. Our logic-Because newborns may have certain quirks, being first-time parents we may not be able to catch it if both of us slept. The first night with the baby- don’t hesitate to call the nurse at any point. Call her as many times as possible. If you are unsure of anything.

4. Spitting up- Newborns spit up after meals. This happened to us on the first night- I fed my DS, burped him and my DH placed him in the crib and watched my DS sleep. Few mins later my DH had moved to his couch come bed. We hear a sound from the crib by DS (I couldn’t get up, coz of epidural). We just froze and called for the night nurse. The night nurse came with a suction bulb and sucked out whatever from DS mouth. This was one scary moment.

5. Eye discharge- There may be some eye discharge like yellowish gunk. These are normal. It can just be cleaned. Just Call your night time nurse to do it.

6. Hiccups- Newborns may have hiccups. Don’t worry it is common. Don’t give water.It will go away on its own.

7. Cross eyes- Some babies have cross eyes. This is because babies eyes are still developing.

8. Poop- After the first meconium black poop. Your babies poop will be yellow or mustard color.

9. Lip blister- Some babies may have lip blister like a cold sore.

10. Acne- Yes, babies have acnes, because babies will be breastfeeding, indirectly will be getting mothers free hormones and this can cause acnes.

11. Dry skin- Newborns will have dry or flaky skin. This is normal.

12. Hairy back, arms, face- Newborns are quite hairy. All these hair will fall off within 2- 3 months.

13. Yawn- Newborns yawn constantly.

14. Head soft spots- With Newbornsyou’ll notice two soft spots on the top of their head where the skull bones haven’t yet fused together.

15. Irregular breathing- Some newborns are still getting adjusted to breathing on its own and you can hear them breath. This is normal.

16. Newborn baby girls may have vaginal bleeding or discharge. This is the direct effect of mother’s hormones. Don’t be alarmed. Your nurse will talk to you about these things.If you are taking Baby Care Classes, your instructor will talk to you about this topic.

17. Swollen breast tissue- This is common in both boys and girl babies. It is the direct effect of mother’s hormones. The swelling will go away in first few weeks.

18. Blue or cold hands- Newborns hands and feet feel cold when touched. This is due to the immature circulation. As long as the face and the babies lips are pink you have nothing to be worry about. Again in doubt call your Nurse!!

19. White spots on babies face- White spots are common...These go away in the first week.

20. Conehead- If you had natural birth some newborns may have cone shape head. This will gradually go away and be back to normal.

21. Newborns have such a sweet smell- It's really a unique smell. I can't explain it. It gives such a good warmth feeling every time you hold the baby.

22. Drool- Newborn drool excessively. This is because of the immature motor control. This will go away by the time you baby turns 1. Have bibs/ burp clothes handy.

23. Head thumping- The babies soft head thumps- Newborns head is very delicate and you can feel it thumping whenever you are holding the baby.

24. Colic- My DS didn’t have colic. But I have heard horror stories of babies who get colic. Babies who get colic, cry for no reason. One mother, I met said she had to change her diet by not consuming diary products (suggested by Pediatrician) for her DD. My SIL’s DS had colic too. I don’t know in detail, how they resolved it. I will post few links which help you understand what colic is. If you think your baby has colic- talk to your Pediatrician.

Colic 101: What It Is and What to Do

Colic: What is it? | BabyCenter

Colic: What It Is, Causes, Signs, and Remedies | What to Expect

25. After I came home- there were a couple of Pediatrician’s visit and within a span of 1 week. After one night feeding, I had burped my DS and put him in the crib. I was awake- and was near the crib and saw the milk just flowing out of DS mouth. This freaked me out and started I co-sleep after this incident. Later during the day I called my pediatrician and spoke to them about this incident. It happens to be a reflux problem. Some babies have it. Usually, it resolves on it own or some are given medication.

26. My DS was given Vitamin D drops. I could use these drops in the formula or on my nipples before nursing.

27. BM will have all the nutrients what the babies would need. There is no need to supplement anything apart from BM. If the mother is on prenatal and the baby should be good.

Few links about baby quirk that I might have missed-
    Common Baby Quirks
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/10-funniest-and-cutest-quirks-about-newborns-you-didn’t-expect
    When your baby's not picture-perfect
    Understanding Your Baby's Quirks

28. DON’T’s-:nono::nono:

1 Don’t give cow’s milk. This is big NO NO.

2 Don’t leave blankets/ soft toys in the crib.

3 Keep a close eye on not to overdress your newborns. Pair newborn clothing with the swaddling blanket material.

4 Don’t give newborn anything apart from BM. Even if your newborn is hiccupping no water should be given.

5 Don’t give newborns or 3-12-month-old honey.
    6 Follow exactly what your pediatrician advice.
    7. Don't give juices or solids before your baby is around 4-6 months (Pediatrician will talk to you)

DO's
    1. You will be taught or learn it yourself to use a suction bulb. I used the suction bulb to remove mucus and extra saliva right after babies bath. I will post Youtube video. Apart from this video check out more videos-

2. I never used the baby thermometer. But you need to know to use it if need be-

3. I was told to clean babies ear by using special earbuds- I watched few videos and did it-

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  4. blindpup10

Baby Bathtime/ Clothing-
    • Baby bath was the major thing that I was stressed about during my pregnancy. After the baby, I slowly gained confidence in handling the baby and later ventured towards giving my DS a bath.
    • Ideally, I was supposed to give my baby an oil bath on alternate days (alternate to my oil bath). The first 20 days I didn’t bath my baby. I only gave my baby a wet cloth/ sponge bath on his changing table until my DS umbilical cord fell off.
    • I will post few links regarding umbilical cord care-http://americanpregnancy.org/first-year-of-life/umbilical-cord/
    • Caring for your newborn's umbilical cord stump | BabyCenter
    • Prep your baby bath and the clothing area before you take the baby for a bath. Get his clothes/diaper/moisturizer/ burp clothes/ towels /formula set up in the room. Turn on the space heater in the room.
    • Get the warm water running in the bathroom, warm oil ready and a thick towel ready in the bathroom. Get the baby undress and apply oil and sit with your baby for 8-10 mins and start the bath.
    • Test the water- go for lukewarm to warm water. The bath should get over with 10- 15mins and wrap the baby in the thick towel and bring him to the room and lightly with a thin towel get the extra water off the body/ head.
    • Hold the baby at a safe distance from the space heater and give your baby some heat to remove all the extra water from the body (for some reason baby powder isn’t encouraged). I moisturized my DS and put him in the clothes and then feed him. Right after this routine, my DS would fall asleep.
    • This is the baby bath tub I used, I could just stick it in the adult bathtub and with a bucket and mug I could easily bath my baby- Amazon.com : The First Years Sure Comfort Deluxe Newborn To Toddler Tub, Blue : Baby Bathing Seats And Tubs : Baby
    • There are other kinds too, however, this one works for me I am still using it for my DS.
    • This is a shower cap for babies so the water doesn’t fall on babies face. Amazon.com : Bobonida 2pcs Soft Adjustable Shower Bathing Protect Cap Hat for Baby Children Kids Wash Hair Shield Hat : Baby
    • I used Babyganic products- from body wash/ shampoo/ moisturizer/ sunscreen. This is a good brand of babies. I have not had any issues so far.
    • At 0-3 months babies are low maintenance. I highly recommend baths/ oil baths / massage baths every day or alternate days because it will help your baby relax and they will sleep, which will give parents some time to rest.
    • Build a schedule around your babies routine, So you dont feel like you are just doing the babies work.
    • Give your baby a bath exactly at the same time every day. I started to give my baby a bath at around 2-3 noon. Not too late and not too early in the day.
    • Do's
      1.Arrange everything you might need before you take the baby for the bath.
      2. Stick to the routine of the bath. Babies start to associate this routine and it will help mothers with no help life a bit easier.
      3.Schedule the baby bath at before evening until they 6-7 months.
      4.Always feed your baby after the bath. The bath will make the babies tired and a feeding will help them sleep better.

Dont's-
      1. Don't feed your baby before giving a bath.. if your baby is hungry just prepone the bath time.
      2.Don't be distracted during the baby bath time.
      3. Don't leave your baby unattended in the bathroom or in the baby bathtub in any room.
    Clothing-

1. There is newborn (NB) size for newborn babies. This is a bit smaller than 0-3 months size. NB size is only for the first 1 month of the babies life. As most of the babies put on weight after 1 month.
    2. Mittens/ socks/ caps- all have sizes too.
    3. If you are in the US and decided to use disposable diapers, you might not need as many clothes for babies. As their pee and poop will be in the diaper. You don’t have to frequently change their clothing.
    4. There is premature size clothing too- it's called preemies.
    5. Purchase swaddle blankets or swaddle sacks. As you will be taught about SIDS at the hospital and no blankets in the crib.. swaddling will help you to keep your baby warm.
    6. My EDD was in Oct considering where I live I had just bought 6 onesies (0-3mths size cotton) and 2 pairs of going home PJ’s (0-3) both in cotton. In a few weeks seeing my activity level and my babies schedule I just decided to get more PJ’s. As my DS slept most of the time. PJ’s is easy to put him in and the baby will be fully covered no tugging of socks.
    7. In Nov/ Dec- I got more of fleece pj’s and layered it with swaddle blankets.
    I will post some link which will give you an idea about clothing, shoe/ socks size. Every article says different things- as it is from different authors living in different part of the US with different weather during their babies being born and their activity level- So consider what you might do during the day and calculate with your budget and purchase clothing-
    Baby Clothes Sizing Chart
    How Many Clothes Do I Need?
    Baby clothes for the first six weeks | BabyCenter
    How To Buy Baby Clothes
    Do's
    1.After the bath, dress your baby and swaddle them before you feed
    2.Dress your baby how you (mother) is dressed. If the mother is feeling cold and is wearing layers- you should dress the baby in layers or in warm clothing.
    Don't-
    1. Don't overheat the room.
    2. Don't overdress your baby. My DS never liked wearing a cap. I didn't force it on him( inside the house). However, during the walk, my DS never obligated to the caps. So the caps stayed on. The point is observe what your babies want and do what they require.
    3.Don't place blankets in the crib/ car seat.

Pictures of arranging PJ's/ moisturizer/ towel- formula is missing in the pic

IMG_4250.jpg

Picture of my DS bathtub

IMG_4249.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    vaidehi71, Avanti30 and ngrn like this.
  5. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

@blindpup10 it is not necessary to clean baby's ears by using ear buds - it is adequate to just clean it on the outside. In fact probing baby's ears is actually discouraged. Hope you don't mind me saying..
    Even for adults, Ent doctors are anti-ear buds.
    Great points otherwise - I am only pointing this out as I'm sure many are closely following your advice :)

6. blindpup10

@Bubbles thanks for your suggestion. My Pediatrician told me to use the safety buds to clean my DS ears. She even showed me during one of the visits. I had do some research before I gained confidence to do it on my DS.

It's just every pediatrician is different and their suggestions/remedies will be different. This whole thing is just to give new mothers our different perspective more like an idea what lays ahead.

There is no one way is the right way with baby care.

Bubbles likes this.
  7. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

@blindpup10
    Thanks for elaborative, with pics article :)
    After reading your article I understood that NewBorn size is only for a month or so.
    Will get some size 0-3 clothes too.

blindpup10 likes this.
  8. blindpup10

@Avanti30-
    Yes, there is a newborn size... I compared the NB and 0-3 months size. The only difference is the NB is much narrow than the 0-3 months.
    I have attached a picture of my DS two NB and one 0-3 clothing.
    The Orange full sleeve onesie (NB size)- I quite remember my DS fit in just for 2 weeks. My DS used it just barely thrice :weary:. I love the color on my DS, just he couldn't fit into it after that.
    The bright yellow (NB size)- gift from my SIL- fit my DS for 1 month.
    The blue onesie in the middle (0-3 months)- This is the Gerber onesie I purchased and packed for the hospital... My DS wore it from the hospital till 3 months.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  9. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

:beer-toast1: I wholeheartedly agree. And I'm confident you would have chosen such an option only after your Pediatrician advised.
    It is usual even among the experts to have a difference of opinion when it comes to practical aspects, including regarding guidelines. I did notice that even in the video, they are cleaning the ear only on the outside, leaving the ear canal well alone (and not inserting the swab inside it, as people usually do..)

This being a common aspect applicable from newborns to adults, I merely wanted to point out/clarify the actual recommendations, so that fellow ILites can discuss and choose their modus operandi.
    More of an exercise in awareness, an embellishment to your well written posts..:)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    blindpup10 likes this.
  10. vanpan

vanpan New IL'ite

Hi dear Blindpup....
    Sorry for replying so late...was in India for vacation .. read urs all posts..
    ALL R Very nice n informative ..Good Going Girl :thumbup:
    Plz write n share d information... its really helpful for new mothers ..
    Like my daughter ..ur son is going to turn 1yr old ..Happy Birthday to him (in advance )..with ot of Love n Blessings .
    Take care n keep it up

blindpup10 likes this.