1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Bother About Others

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Why Bother About Others

Im sure u all have read about Irom Sharmila, the iron lady of Manipur, who was on fast for the last 16 years, to get a government law repealed. She was force fed thru a tube.

After 16 years of fast, she decided to change the course of her life, by ending her fast. Well since solid food had not entered her system for so many years, the doctors fed her a drop of honey on the first day.

She wants to get married to a foreigner, whonm she loves, and also that now she wants to contest elections, so that she becomes the Chief Minister, so she will have the powers to change the laws that her fast was unsuccessful in doing.

She had a lot of support from family and relatives and friends, while she was fasting. After she announced she wanted to end her fast to marry and fight elections, everyone turned against her. He mother refused to see her, a friend invited her to stay , the friend was threatened with violence, and left with no where to go, Sharmila was given refuge by the same hospital which was her home for so long.

So to those she opposed, are now her family and well wishers, the hospital staff, and the police force.Her home is the hospital , the same one which was once her prison.What an irony.

Was it worth fighting for people who ditched her like this, treated her worse than a leper ? Anna Hazare fasted, and Arvind Kejriwal gained by being seen with him, as also VK Singh and Kiran Bedi. They all left him after they got what they wanted.

I read about a Jain woman who has taken Santara, the oath to fast to death.Well huge throngs of people came to see her, the family became famous, and it is said , that the lady did not want to die, but they kept chanting so loud, that it drowned her protests, and ultimately she died. The benefit went to the family, who knows donations come in too. Her death was good for the family.

Cases of maid servants coming to work with swollen faces, beaten by their drunk husbands, and incest carried out in her home by him, if u tell her come with me to the police station we will get him arrested, she refuses, for it will spoil the family name, she says. Even if u forcibly take her to the police station, she and her daughters will not complain and u will be left with egg on the face.

No one carried forward the fast from Anna, or Sharmila, these two suffered. Just imagine Sharmila did not eat food for so long, does she not have desires? She sacrificed so much for her people, but they turned out to be unworthy of her sacrifice.

So I have learnt, to mindmy own business. I resist the temptation to help. I see so may , who will be penniless soon, but it is useless to offer unwanted advise. I live in my ivory tower, enjoying what life offers me, as also comforts that I can afford. I don’t feel sorry to sleep in an AC room, or feel sorry for the rickshaw puller sleeping under the shade in the hot sun.

Life is good to me, and has been fair.

Amen.

KAMAL MAHTANI

This one's a killer ...

Biology Class:

Teacher: Which Mammal flyes in air but gives birth to young ones on land...???

Sardar was so excited, as for the 1st time he knew the Answer...!!!???

Sardar: AIRHOSTESS...!!!???

Mother to Son:

Who is Tippu Sultan ?

Son : Don't know

Mother : Sometime give attention to study also

Son to Mother : Do you know Chinky Aunty ?

Mother : Don't know

Son: Sometimes give attention to Dad also

Usain Bolt ran for less than 115 secs in total in his 3 Olympics career and made 119 million dollars! That's more than $1M for each second he ran! That's a new unit of speed for the "run" for money... $M/sec!

An optimist is a man who looks forward to marriage.

A pessimist is the optimist who got married last year.

Heard on radio today - what would the bhojpuri remake of 'Rustom' be called....

Bhaiya fauz maa...bhabhi mauj maa!

sindmani, shyamala1234 and ashima10 like this.

2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha Kamalji,

Missing you in IL for some time. Sure you must have been to Mumbai to interview some famous film personalities or to have your regular check up. Awesome jokes. Had a hearty laugh!

Agatha83

3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    Interesting snippet. However, i don't agree with you about not bothering about others!
    Irom sharmila and anna hazare to some extent i would say are at the other end of the spectrum. There is no point in going to such extent which i feel is beyond the call of duty however passionate they may have been about their idea. At the same time, in day to day life a little of empathy towards our fellow beings i feel, is very much essential to feel fulfilled.
    Awesome jokes at the end - the hall mark of your posts i enjoyed as usual:blush:

sindmani and Lathasv like this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

KAMALJI jAINISM IS A WONDERFUL FAITH. iT HAS A FANTASTIC INSTRUMENT TO GRAB THE PROPERTY OF RICH ELDERLY RELATIVES GETTING RID OF THEM BY MAKING THEM FAST UNTO DEATH. iF THEY DON'T COOPERATE JUST STARVE THEM AND IF THEY PROTEST DROWN THEIR VOICES BY CHANTING RELIGIOUS HYMNS LOUDLY. jUST MAKE SURE SURE THE UNWANTED RELATIVE DOES NOT HAVE A STENTORIAN VOICE THAT COULD RISE ABOVE THE CHANTS. tRUE vk sINGH AND KIRAN BEDI HAVE ABANDONED ANNA BUT KEJRIWAL HAS NOT. AAP I BELIEVE IS SINCERELY TRYING TO FOLLOW ANNA WITHIN THE NARROW LIMITS SET FOR IT TO GOVERN DELHI.

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha,
    Thanks for the warm welcome, and the kind words. Well i wanted to visit prem chopra, but could bnot get the right contact, as i was in mumbai for my checkups, i knew where he lived, but well, next time.
    Hence i was missing in IL.
    Thanks a ton.
    Regards
    kamal

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Joy,
    Yes they are the other extreme i agree. A little empathy is fine, we all do it, we are humans, but at times, it gets too much, when the other person does not i mprove their bad habits, then i back off forever.
    Regards
    kamal

joylokhi likes this.
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,
    All faiths are very good, but this santara i do not understand. Why not let the person give out a statement everyday, saying he is not forced to carry on, and he like Sharmila can be free to call it off, for whatever reasonons whenever.
    Regards
    kamal

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,
    I don't think that you have a steely heart not to bother about others.
    Not many people say that they are having a good life. People crave for lot more things even after having things needed to have a comfortable life. To be content whatever we have is really appreciable.
    PS

sindmani, joylokhi and Lathasv like this.
  9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpa,
    You overestimate me, eh ! Thank u so much.Well i do care, but u know how it is. The person whom we are trying to help also must bring changes , an alcholic, cannot just go asking for money , he has to reduce orleave liquor, otherwise u will stop halping him.
    Well i have a good life, i dont desire much, i enjoy what i have. No complaints Pushpa.
    Thanks a ton.
    Regards
    kamal