1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Gadgets To Observe The Heart Rate (pulse Rate) While Doing Exercises

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by kalaiarasi, Aug 16, 2016.

1. kalaiarasi

kalaiarasi Senior IL'ite

Is there any one using any gadget for observing the heart rate / pulse rate while doing exercises ?

I want to apply the concept of target heart rate maintenance while doing work outs. For doing this, I need a gadget to do so.

I want real time feed back from individuals who use one, not a 'copy and paste' of the available gadgets from Google (which I myself can do).

I am sure, some here must be using heart rate monitoring gadgets for exercises. Want to hear from you !

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I used to use the Polar FT4 for monitoring my heart rate during runs. I recommend it highly. It does come with a chest strap and it does get sweaty. I just washed the strap with cold soapy water after every use. It didn't fail me even once.

These days I use a GPS watch(Garmin) which has a built in hrm and gives a good estimate of the heart rate. This doesn't have a chest strap but is very expensive. It's an amazing tool for a runner/biker/swimmer to have but I'm not sure of how useful it is for others for the price tag accompanying it.

I have the basic Fitbit but I have heard my friend say it has a good hrm version. I'm not sure how that works but I like the basic Fitbit.

kalaiarasi likes this.
  3. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

Kalai ,

I own a Fitbit Charge HR and a Polar FT4 .

Polar FT4 comes with a chest strap and have read its much accurate . But no syncing with mobile and tracking . Was using it for 6 months .

Fitbit Charge HR : I love this , easy to wear ; Can track Resting heart rate ;

Let me know if you need more info .

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    kalaiarasi and Laks09 like this.
  4. kalaiarasi

kalaiarasi Senior IL'ite

I understand, the gadgets with a chest strap are more accurate than the ones without it. As you have both (one with chest strap, that is Polar FT4 and the other without chest strap, that is Fitbit ), which among the two is more accurate, in your experience ?

5. kalaiarasi

kalaiarasi Senior IL'ite

I heard that the gadgets with a chest strap are more accurate than the ones without it. As you have both (one with chest strap, that is Polar FT4 and the other without chest strap, that is Garmin ), which among the two is more accurate, in your experience ?

(Garmin and Fitbit both are wrist watch like things, and they don't have an associated chest strap, right ?)

6. Laks09

@kalaiarasi - In my experience, the FT4 with chest strap is better at monitoring HR. The Garmin's gps features are really good and I switched to the Garmin because I needed more than a hr monitor. There are times that Garmin doesn't show the HR or you know it's fairly high and Garmin still says it's in the normal range. Never had that issue with the FT4. Btw, Garmin without chest strap is more comfortable because after a while the FT4's chest strap does get annoying, especially if working up a sweat outside. In the climate controlled gym, it was not too bad.

7. kalaiarasi

kalaiarasi Senior IL'ite

chest strap.JPG Decathlon.jpg
    Thanks for that valuable information @Laks09 !

Garmin (the one without a chest strap) is less accurate. FT4 (the one with the chest strap) is more accurate.

This is the million dollar question I was waiting the answer for.

Thanks again. Actually, I have been using a heart rate monitoring device, made by the Bangalore based chain of Sports Megastores , Decathlon.

It is also a chest strap. Then, the monitoring is done by the apps downloaded onto my smart phone. It is being very accurate. I am happy with it. But, like you, I also noticed the discomfort of having to use a chest strap.

The chest strap needs wetness to work, so sweat is necessary between the skin and the electrode flat portion of the strap.

Now my confusion has cleared. I will not go for any gadget without a chest strap.

I will continue to use what I have. I have uploaded the chest strap and the screen of my smart phone , showing the heart rate along with other parameters Decathlon.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Laks09 likes this.
  8. Laks09

@kalaiarasi - What you have seems to be working great! When you need additional features you can look at another gadget. These days I'm going gadget free.

rmpriya and kalaiarasi like this.
  9. kalaiarasi

kalaiarasi Senior IL'ite

True, with two or three trips with the gadget, we get to know, at this particular speed, we achieve and maintain this particular heart rate per minute.

Then, with successive trips, obviously, gadget is not needed. I, too , need it intermittently, not on daily basis

rmpriya likes this.