1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Teenagers In India Vs Teenagers In Usa ???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Aug 20, 2016.

1. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09 , @Rihana , @Shanvy , yes. I agree casual sexism is everywhere.

I had this discussion about sexism in India with my family and there were surprising viewpoints! I got work done for a flat in India too but that was a decade ago or so and my family tells me my youth then, slimness then, lipstick and straightened hair would have prevented the workmen from taking me seriously! Go figure! I hAve be reassured I wouldn't have the problem now with the look of a matriarch having set in. My family is very truthful like that. Sigh!

Here, I haven't faced much trouble particularly because of my gender. There are bad eggs who don't work and to my immense satisfaction, they do not bow down to my husband either. ;)

However sexism is rampant everywhere, yes. A very posh agent here once kept ignoring me when we were looking for a place to rent and would only look at my husband. She was stunned when he casually pulled out of other viewings with a, "my wife will see the rest and make a decision" When I chose a place and put down a deposit without my husband even having seen the flat, she seemed put out!

We all have to deal with it I agree and show our girls and boys how to identify it and balance it out.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Regarding sexism from random strangers,in our case,it is always me that they have please if they want to sell us the house,the car ,the washing machine ,the car deodorant etc..My husband does the research with me and usually leaves the final decision to me.

I am hopeless with vehicle repairs due to lack of knowledge / interest and plumbing repairs...so I have no isssues looking clueless if husband is around....but for rest of the repair work,I am the tigress they have to deal with.

3. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

Had a similar experience in India couple of times when we were looking to buy property. And, that is why, after that, whenever we went out hunting for houses, I changed to Saree, big bindi, half a dozen glass bangles on either side. and other such accessories which would make them look at me as 'woman' and not as a 'girl' so they take me seriously. :grinning:

rachaputi, Laks09, anika987 and 2 others like this.
  4. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Ha Ha
    that is so funny! Do you really mean it!:lol:

5. SeekingMind

Yes, really, thats true. I have noticed how much their whole body language and behaviour towards us changes.

Laks09, guesshoo and vaidehi71 like this.
  6. vaidehi71

Thank God for that, I never came across such persons!:smile:
    What does it tell about such persons, is their ignorance!o_O

7. SeekingMind

Yes its their ignorance definitely!!

But again, we cannot generalize such behavior because once we bought the flat, I had all the interiors done, had to deal with painters, carpenters etc and no issues then.

8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

What can we say!

Here I feel the reverse is true. If I'm well dressed, people on the street are politely smiling and saying hello when passing by.

In case I don't wear my lenses and also haven't straightened / curled my hair no amount of eyeliner or lipstick can make people make eye contact to say hello or even nod!!:tearsofjoy:

Laks09 and vaidehi71 like this.
  9. vaidehi71

That's so true!

10. vaidehi71

That's really interesting! I haven't done it but I still smile and wish and they reciprocate, sometimes they do and I reciprocate!:D
    Maybe people are different, in different parts of the world!:rolleyes::smiley:
    Whatever, it is just in the mindset, if they want to wish, they do! Even I won't say, I am perfect of anything, but I have found how the culture works here, so mostly I adapt and wishing has become more or less a daily habit here.:). Good to have some rapport! A smile speaks volumes, than external appearance, that is what I found and that is more relevant here. But don't think, I would do the same in India, that's all!o_O