1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vent And In Need Of Suggestions

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by BDivya, Aug 10, 2016.

1. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

Diwali is on a Sunday this time. As far as I know, Thala Deepavali main rituals are performed the previous day as in Saturday evening (Naraka chaturdashi ) in your case. So you could leave on Friday evening to your parents place, enjoy the celebrations and return on Sunday afternoon/evening. you will be lighting the lamp/celebrating at your place too and have ample time for getting settled and going to office while not missing being with your sister and family on their important day.

Please think about it.

yellowmango likes this.
  2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Let this season pass dear... As many of us suggested, go to your parents' place this time, and enjoy. Let your H enjoy his times at his parents' place too.
    However, you must lay some ground rules after this episode is over. Since you guys are living in a nuclear family on your own, you must start to respect yours as a FAMILY.
    In laws and parents are gonna be your extended family from now onwards.
    Just the 3 of you will make your family.

So, start celebrating everything as a family. Make sweets, buy new cloths, crackers etc... and celebrate the whole event as a family.
    If your H has other reasons to continue to celebrate his festivals with in laws, let him be. But don't change your mind. You and your kid are very much a family. Just do things fabulously and enjoy the festivals at your home.
    Festivals are great reasons to clean the house, change the interior and make delicious dishes at home.
    Meet your neighbors, share sweets with them, visit temple, light lamps in the house and follow all the traditions. Entertain visitors to your place and make memories too.
    You can visit your parents or in laws the next day. Initially it may be difficult, but soon you will enjoy the taste of it. Who knows, your H will start to feel your place as his home, and respect it with love.
    Somehow you really need to do a lot of ground work to control your life. This is the right time. Wake up girl.

BDivya likes this.
  3. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks all. I somehow feel that going to my parents home without DH will aggrevate the situation more and it will look like a tit for tat, which i dont want to do.. I dunno why, but i want everything to be smooth and peaceful and I no more want any tit for tats..

For the record i have done many tit for tats with H and MIL and Im tired of all of them. The more i do the more i lose my peace and i feel it does no good other than aggrevating or making the problem bigger. SO i have decided that no more tit for tats atleast with H. I want him to realise the good me as a respectful wife.

Having said that I m not a fully developed person in this skill. And i have just started with this part, very recently. SO im just trying to be calm and not react to whatever he says or does and am trying to showcast my lovely side to him. I have seen people outside and in IL also who has H more worse than mine. And yet they choose to stay in the marriage and at the end of the day almost they have conquered their H.

But i often miss my cool and end up crying and cursing my fate and god. Theres a part of me which is really desperate to have a normal and peaceful life as a family! Wish god helps me with that!!

There are many flaws in him, he s lazy, always prefers watching TV/computer, expects me to clean the house every single day even though i had a hectic day at work and returned late, expects me to make all the masalas/chutneys/podis at home as his mom does, if not then he says i just pass the time and dont want to do anything, always wants to impress his parents(!) yes, he thinks that if his parents smile and feel happy with what he has said or done then he feels very very happy and contented. For satisfying his parents(who very well utilise his nature to make me feel inferior/insulted) he even goes to the extent of insulting/making faces/shouting at me in front of them. I hate his this habit. I can very well cope up with all his other flaws but the last one, im not able to digest it.

If u all could help me out in this last habit of his i wud be more than happy!

I shud talk about his good side also: he takes care of kid very nicely, whenever in need and many times when i dont expect him to take care also he surprises me by doing it. He helps in laundry, sometimes cooking (though when cooking he critices my cooking but still i take it in a positive way), takes care of bills.

He has a softer side of him but it will remain calm only wen i listen to him and do things according to his wishes. If i have my say which he may not accept then he shows a completely different face. I hate him for trying to satisfy his parents at the cost of my respect, hate him for not accompanying me to my parents house , he does this not because he doesnt want but because he is scared that his parents may mistake him, hate him for being a couch potato all the time. Overall i can accept him if he shouts at me if he does by himself. But not for the sake of his parents to show them and he feel happy that he has controlled me and i hate the look on his face when he does this infront of his parents and immediately look at them for their reaction.. i really really hate this..

My parents also said that i need not come for diwali alone and can come only with H. They said that dont fight with H for this and he might understand u and will want to take u after few years when he realises that u are not fighting or screaming when he says no to visit my parents. He might feel bad for doing like this.

So i have decided that this was my last trip to inlaws place by taking leaves. hereafter if i have to go to inlaws house then only i will come when there is a holiday and will stay only for those days, no extra leaves anytime. I know this will lead to many arguments and manipulations by inlaws to DH as y im nt taking leaves and cming to their house. But i have deicided to reply them calmy and at the same time not take a single leave. But this will surely make my DH angry on me and he will show faces and even argue. AT those times i will remain quiet. Hope this works!

Second thing tht i decided - is not fight or argue with him for going to my parents house and wait pateintly for him to understand and then go only when he takes me. I know this is going to be very tuff but i want t try this.

4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I don't think any one here advised you for tit-for-tat.
    It works elsewhere, but definitely not in a marriage. Because in marriage we chose the battle for a win-win. Both parties to be on the winning side for a happy and healthy marriage.

Your problems are indeed not that much serious.

Your husband likes to please his parents, for a self satisfaction. Perhaps, his ego will be hurt if you don't respect him before them. He is designed like that, or made to believe in that.
    Whatsoever, accepting him as who he is will be the only option you have for now.

But how you are gonna accept him is what gonna make your marriage.

1) You may chose to accept him wholeheartedly.
    2) Or accept him with no other choice; thus repenting for it always. As a result you may try tit-for-tat, and show ego. but at the end of the day, you both will lose your marriage
    3) You may chose to accept him, but not necessarily giving up your own taste. That's where a healthy compromise comes in.
    You need a lot of talking, adjustments and happy memories to arrive at here.

You definitely need time and patience and a lot of maturity to arrive at this 3rd place.

My H would ask, rather force me to attend to in laws and their side of the functions everytime during the early times of our marriage. It was an unwritten rule, and I have no choice.
    But he would not even attend to any function that is hosted by my own parents, living in the same city as us.
    No doubt, I would go mad and fight with him for this injustice. I had a choice, i.e stop attending his side of the functions and stop expecting him to my side of the functions.
    But it did not look good in a long run. We were like always alone with our respective parents during each functions.
    So, I decided to let go of the past. Made peace with those traumatic days.
    I voluntarily attended to his side of the functions even without him asking for it. It surprised him.
    He was indeed very much appreciative of that, and helped me during that function by being around.
    I did the same for the next few functions eagerly.
    The only difference is, earlier I would show faces, and attend to the events reluctantly. I would have half spoiled the fun before the event itself due to this.
    But this time, I attended enthusiastically. So, we indeed had a lot of fun memories.
    With that happy mood, I made a request to my H to give me the same happiness by attending to my side of the functions.
    He could not say no. So he attended. It took us another few months/years to actually have fun there. He attended reluctantly, and he would get pissed off if anything happens against his taste.
    But I was patiently helping him, and making the moment comfortable for him.
    But I have never ever expected my folks to bend over backward to please my H.

I did not crib or make faces even if the event was of bad taste. We continued to work on our marriage.
    Soon after the kids came to the picture. We forgot which side of the function we are attending to. It was all about how comfortable our kids would be. We cared for each other as family and entertained others who entertained us.

As time goes, the functions we attended were customized as per our taste. It is not like your sis vs my sis. It is like who is the fav one.
    Sometimes we would attend all the functions of my siblings and none of his. Sometimes all the functions of his and none of mine. It is all about our time and comfort and the person who invites us.

We also started to have our own functions and invited others. So, everything is depended on how others treated us as a family.

guesshoo, BDivya and PRM575 like this.
  5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Just tell that, now you are concentrating on your profession and want to grow.( Usually that is the goal for any women after kids and they start going to school, i.e again concentration goes to her interests/career/life goals )

1 . As you are no more joint family, this will change, and from your mind also their thoughts will go away, it may take 6 months or year I guess. There is also possibility that if you don't go to their house they keep coming to your house every month, and again same thing, your H may try to impress his parents, by highlighting home made masalss are not done etc. You manage those days tactfully wichich ever works either keeping yourself busy or cook nice food those days they may be happy with that.

2. If he expects clean house etc, hire a person to clean house, dishes, laundry and where ever you can, and concentrate on you and kid stuff., going to park, or library or you two just play.

3. He is lazy, you can't do anything, but see if you can assign a dialy chore to him, like giving bath to kid in the evening/make her sleep by telling stories etc. Assign some kid related task, as he likes to be with kid,

May be for this diwali, you don't go anywhere, celebrate at your home.

But don't you think, as you expect him to go to his parents without you, he also expecting you to go to your parents without him. There is nothing bad in this. Parents bonding is deep and son-in-law 's bond is just a formality with your parents. Once in a year if he visits your parents and stays for 1/2 day also it is fine in my view. But for you, your parents are the support system, and you love them so you want to go. In future, please decide that you will be going by yourself to see parents.

May be he is saying no, to show his power over you. If you think , now things are settling down, why to fight over this. Just be calm.
    But you go some other time just to see your parents, that would give more relaxed time to spend with them instead of at functions time.

6. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @KashmirFlower & @SGBV for - 'Your problems are indeed not that much serious.' and i wud certainly want to follow the 3rd approach. But everytime wen i mould myself into that category, he says some hurtful words/actions and this makes me to give up.

Whenever i start thinking tat he is of caring nature and will slowly understand me, he proves me wrong. Same happened yesterday, i was just starting to hope on him and he spoiled it. He prefers watching tv/computer than talking to me and spending time with me. This irritates me. He wakes up late, almost wen me and kid are ready to leave for work and school and in the night after dinner he resumes back to tv/computer for movies and sleeps around 2/3am. He doesnt even want to spend time with me.

7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

@BDivya when I read your posts, I have a feeling you are being put through emotional abuse - you are denied approval until the other person fancies giving it. It sounds like your foundation is being chipped away without much warning.

Please could you Google and go through "emotions abuse" and "narcissistic personality disorder"?

I had to deal with a lot of the former and I think the latter but my husband is a hugely changed man since. If you identify with what you read, perhaps I could tell you my story.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@BDivya - Do you think you can make anyone spend quality time with you by force?
    If so, it won't be interesting as you imagine. An uninterested person may finally chose to spend time with you due to continuous nagging at home. But that "time spending" will not be interesting and happy for both. You can't force anybody to love you. Learn that first.

Your H chose to spend time with others and elsewhere but not with you. Could you sense anything here?
    Perhaps he thinks the time spend with you will literally mean listening to your nagging, or entering into an argument about in laws etc.. I don't know how do you really spend your time with your H otherwise.

When I had all those problems in my mind in the past, all I meant by spending time with H was nagging. Yes, I needed an ear to listen to all my frustrations caused by his folks. I choose him. Slowly these nagging will become arguments since he will become defensive. Then eventually everything will turn bitter because we will end up having fights. Every "time spending" has this history.
    So, my H rather chose not to spend time with me. He would not say it openly, but his actions showed it all. He would watch TV till he fall asleep. Then lay on the bed till I become busy in the rushing morning hrs. He would go to saloon (for hair colouring, hair cutting etc..etc..) and spend so much time on the weekend afternoons. He would spend time with his friends on the beach at nights, but not with me.
    I would fight for that as well.

I wanted to bring all this to an end. So, I volunteered to be the change.
    I stopped the nagging. In fact I didn't see myself wrong for these nagging, because I had nothing to nag except for the problems he and his family caused. But nagging further distanced us.

Instead I tried to make our "time" a special one. Just like watched movies together. The same movie which he usually watch alone.
    Made chips and drinks to share during the movie time.
    Suggested other good movies, and good theaters instead of watching on-line at home.

Slowly these "time spending" together has changed. It has become beautiful with those fragrance of other comforts.
    We chose to discuss about other things like friends, colleagues, politics, cinema etc..etc... and found similar taste in us.
    This is when I started to find alternate sources for my venting. Because I could not keep all those troubles within me either. Indusladies helped a lot. After venting here, I could be as normal as before.

Believe me or not. My H rewarded me for not talking negative about his family for a constant 6 months time on some special day. Then only I noted that he is indeed seeing the difference in me.
    So, I rewarded him for being there for me, and spending time with me.

We then opt for long drive, weekend outing, shopping, friends' visit etc..etc.. together, instead of going alone or going with our respective folks.

Life did not change within a day. It has taken a good 2+ years for a complete change. Even we are still changing for good.
    Now that I speak honestly about everything under the sky with my man. That includes in laws as well.
    But my view about in laws have changed a lot. Now a days, I always see how best I could change to bring any change in the person who matters to my life.
    So, if at all I say something critical about in laws, my H blindly trusts me. He stands by me and supports me.
    The same husband blindly followed his folks against me some 6 years back.

9. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

Thank u @SGBV :) This thank u is frm heart :)

I could totally understand all ur points and I am going to change myself to see the change that i want in my DH. No nagging or talking negative about inlaws. I am going to be the change and I am sure that my DH will also change for good like yours and I totally understand that this will not happen in a day or two and I am ready to wait for years just like you.

And a big cheers to u for ur patience and belief for 6 years! 6 years is not easy and i could understand it better. Your patience and calmness is something which has amazed me a lot and has given me the belief that - yes, I can also be there may be in 6 years or less or more! Hats-off to u girl :) As i have read ur posts and ur concerns u had with ur H , i can pretty much say YOU have more than enough patience and will power!

Thanks again dear and hugs to u for those bitter years. Now I have gained confidence that I will reach the brighter side very soon.

Thank you and all those lovely ILites for ur kind and practical words that has now built up my confidence and made me stand up once again :)

SGBV and KashmirFlower like this.