1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Financial Issue With Dh

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Sweetygals, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Back here with other issue. Need all ur help again .
    My husband never share anything about his savings. Initially i have not asked him much. Because i have an idea about his savings through other sources. But from his mouth nothing. Will pretend like i dont care in front of him.
    Even if i say i came to know from this other source. Where as he does not discuss ,in a casual manner. He will not open his mouth.
    Now after going through this forum i decided to approach him the way others suggested. When we were on a vacation. Talked to him slowly nicely saying its been 3 years i hate it when u dont trust me. His reply was give me some time. We will discuss this big topic back in home. And he asked me what gift i want for anniverasary which is coming soon. I said i want his trust more than anything. So no need of any gift. Just this discussion i want it to happen. He said fine.

And now this weekend my parents came he took all of us out for dinner and went to jewellery shop for my anniversary gift. I smiled and said u know what gift i want. He dint care and said some budget within that i can buy and he does not want fight to interfere our anniverasary day. Because that day is so special. He clearly told he cant discuss things with me. Anyway he is providing things whatever i want. Same things will happen in our future also. I can think of watever reason i want. I was not able to talk to him much as my parents were there. Cant walk out also. I was so angry. I dont want any gift i told him. But not wanted to create any scene in front of my parents. Wanted to eat his money. Finally i got myself something which was more than his budget out of my angry and back home. Dint talk to him. And now he is blaming me that i did not appreciate his gift. I'm not happy with anything. If he discuss also it will be the same. So let things be as it is. I said u r not fair. He said most of the things in this world is not fair and people adjust and he has also adjusted. So the same rule applies here.

It is a very stupid reason i know. He just dont want discuss and he puts the blame on me. I know his smartness.

And now he talks to me as nothing happened. I dont feel like talking to him.
    Sweet talking not gonna help anymore i know. Thretening him i will leave him might help little but not completely. He will try to patch up things with something very pleasing to me. He does not want to leave me because he loves his kid and also me, he said this many times.
    But i knw this purchasing gifts, vacation and all i know he is scared of loosing me. So he just want to make up things. And look nice in front of me and my parents. But never open his mouth for sharing secret.

Please tell me whether i can ignore him or anniversary day so that he will come back to discuss on his own. He hates it when i dont care him. But it will create a fight between us.
    Or leave this issue for now as no harm for me now. Any way i have vented here so i can go back to normal. Or is issue is very serious which i need to handle it now.
    I cant leave him for this issue. I have usual In laws issue , dominating issues but not as bad as many threads i see here. But if i have this issue in my mind i might nag him. I know it irritates when i nag continuously. May be he might not leave me but scared of losing his support in MIL issue. Please help me how to proceed.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Do not fall out with your husband over this. You've had a recent win with the other issue; right? Give it some time. You have let him know that you are disappointed with his lack of transparency.

He, on the other hand, is trying to regain ctrl by doing things his way. Taking visiting ILs for dinner and making grand gesture in front of them is rather smart. Yes. Jewellery isn't what you want. However to not accept it in front of your parents gives him an upper hand in whatever game this is.

IMO threatening to leave him will not help. Also not when you don't mean it. If he calls your bluff, you will be the loser. It isn't a dire situation. You go to work and are independent. So, there isn't an immediate need.

Put a pin on this issue. Be normal with him. On your anniversary, be nice and gracious about his gesture. Make some memories which show him what an asset you are. Tell him if the opportunity arises that you still he the faith in him that he would become more transparent going forward.

What you could do to force his hand is to try making an investment - make it with your salary and ask him to contribute so that it gives you a cushion. Keep it in your name. Or invest your lot and get him to deal with your expenses. Ask for a joint credit card. Think about what will be most effective way but take your time to implement it. Don't make him think that you only care about finances. Let it go for now and come back wih aa better strategy. Good luck.

3. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

Just keep doing what you are doing.Eventually he will crack.

Rihana, Sweetygals and yellowmango like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op..... Your husband's reluctance to let you know about his finances is really strange. If I were in your pace..I would be dying to get to this mystery . (Iam not a very patient person:p)

Like the posters above have mentioned.....right now,enjoy the previous battle that you have won but do not forget this issue.
    Thank him for the anniversary gift but let him know his trust would have been a much more valued gift.
    Every time he talks about having trust in him....ask him why he doesn't have any trust in you then.
    Ask him to invest in a house on both your names,invest for the child and retirement .If he doesn't ,then you have a problem on hand.

Have you tried keeping your finances away from him?Like changing the password or investing in something big without telling him ? If so...what was his reaction?

While reading your thread ....I got another similar thread on my page.She has the same issue even 17 years after marriage.check out this lady's threads .Some men never trust the wife enough.
    Financial issue.

Sweetygals and guesshoo like this.
  5. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your reply.
    Even i'm becoming inpatient now a days :p . But after getting advice here may be i should be patient atleast for some time :)
    Initially i shared all my details with him. Even minor expenses i used to discuss with him. Because he is a miser but not that bad. And took his help even for small investment. Slowly i started realising that he hides things from me. So i started doing on my own. Initially he fought saying i have become independent, not giving him respect, money changed me a lot. I Dint fight back and i said casually i also feel the same way when you do this to me. Actually he dint reply and gave silent treatment for 2 days then things became normal and now he does not even talk about my savings also but still question about my expensive purchases and all.
    Ofcourse he knows money is safe with me :)
    I have spoke about investing in property also. He used to reply that he also has plan, need some time as these are big things. We should not hurry up. Then we both can buy a property together.
    We have policy for our kid's sake but that's on his name and i'm the nominee. This initiative he took and he did it.
    This was the first time something we did together. for all other investments which i start discussing he will say lets see later or may be u do on your own.

guesshoo likes this.
  6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

@yellowmango I suspect it is more about control than about trust, YM. Don't you think? Seems like a way of sneakily holding back as a power struggle. Also the whole patriarchal, "I am the man of the house and don't owe anyone an explanation." Just someone entrenched in the distant past... sigh!

7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Control issue....true,but by whom???I think the guys is the remote.
    As for patriarchal thingyy.......The guys gives in too easily....lets take it to the 'chatter and grey matter' thread..:smilingimp:;)

Relationships Forum Chatter & Grey Matter

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Sweetygals likes this.
  8. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

Ya. Whatever u specified in the other thread sounds correct atleast 80% if not 100%.Just dknw how to change. Realise him.

Regarding patriarchal thing, i know why he gives in easily. Initially he used to control me completely. If i say anything against him he will use the word divorce. So i used to bend dwn for him and mil expectations. During pregnancy faced unrealistic expectations from mil also. My dh was supporting her. Got fed up as the same continued after kid born. In one fight i said im ready to leave him. I have the plan ready as not able to tolerate u both. Will get transfer and will move to my moms place. Because things were worse at that time. Then he realised he gonna loose me soon and started supporting me. And give in things easily if it does not bother him much. Thats how i got my independence with salary and also regarding decision about kid upbringing and all.

SadMarried and guesshoo like this.
  9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You make me smile, dear! You have shown that you are an independent woman who is complete by herself. That must have put the fear in him. stay strong! And remember you are setting a great example for your child. Xx