Pensée: E & G Chatter

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Oriana, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

lol - time to organize a sign-off pareekshaa :)

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Original version of Valmiki Ramayana Yuddha Kanda (relevant words of Sri Rama) was presented in English in "Agnipariksha" thread. These words of Sri Rama only made mother Seetha to order Lakshmana to set up a pyre.

@Rihana, you are the best judge here and please let me know how many pages of responses one would get if it is posted by a wife in Rel Forum about such a speech of her husband. :)

Viswa

Laks09 likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

LOL. :) Viswa, you can be a naughty boy sometimes.

My random guesses... please don't buy lotto tickets based on this!

15 pages of responses if thread started on a Monday, 23 if on a Wednesday, 12 if on a Friday.

SunPa, Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra After 100 posts, members would start abusing each other. After another 100 posts, OP would ask Induslady to close the thread!! Sitaji would vow never to start a thread in rel forums again and join us here in Pensee. : )

5. Viswamitra

I happened to visit Rel Forum today to test waters. I highlighted the Rel Moderator and it showed, "Last visited on August 10, 2015". There is no better example to explain the power of words.

Viswa

Laks09 likes this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I didn't know that he was. Good question :)

Looks like my Tamil knowledge is not what I thought it was. I better not tell anything about this to DH. shhhhhh.......

7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Although people use it colloquially, 'ha' or say 'sha' are not official Tamizh sounds. They are considered sanskritic importations. 'Mohan' becomes 'Mogan' in Tamizh. There's no 'h'. The 'ஹ' is considered non-standard, as is ஷ. I guess one could do a lexical search to see if those syllables are found in classical literature.

vaidehi71 and Laks09 like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Soka,

If it is a holy text or hymns, generally, they are printed by special printing presses intended to include "Ha" or "Sha". I am not sure whether they have those specially made. I have a big fan of Sanskrit Slokhas at home here and she reads all the texts both in Sanskrit and Tamil everyday. I have seen some of them with those letters. Most are bought in Giri Traders in Chennai.

Nowadays, we can use Graphic-based intelligent Script Technology ("GIST") which transliterates Sanskrit exactly into Tamil with right letters.

Viswa

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Laks09 likes this.
  9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Sure, I know that. I'm not referring to the typesetting. The question is: Does 'Silappadikaram' or 'Manimekalai' use these sounds? Does the 'Devaaram' or the 'Tiruvachagam' use these? What about the 'Ettuthokai'? Is it 'Tolkappiyam approved? I don't remember, but I think not. God knows I've been taught enough of that literary corpus - but U.V. Swaminatha Iyer would be ashamed of me today, I'd better go look it up!:lol:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hmmmm. Soka(thinking to himself): I know so much of Tamil. Let me rub it in. Aaaah, she isn't going to know any of these literary works anyway.

Where are the emojis I need?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.