Lubricants for TTC couples

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by bajan, Dec 18, 2010.

1. bajan

bajan New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Just thought I would share some information regarding the lubricants used while TTC.

Our body secretions during ovulation (egg white CM) provide the best environment for the sperms to live as long as possible and to swim. Even sticky CM before and after ovulation do not provide a good environment for the sperms. Having said this, one must be very careful while using lubricants while TTC.

Even water and cooking oils like coconut oil, I know some women use egg white all harm the sperm's ability to swim as the Ph of these liquids are not the same as the egg-white CM Ph. Even Saliva has been proven to harm sperms. So it is recommended to avoid oral while TTC. Don't also use ordinary lubricants while TTC which cause the same problem.

There are special lubricants for TTC like preseed. Pre-seed is a sperm friendly lubricant specially formulated for TTC couples. Pre-seed claims to be scientifically proven to mimic the CM secretions. There are other similar products which are coming up now like zestica and sasmar. You might want to check them as well. I am not recommending any product here. Just trying to provide some information to ensure that TTC ladies use the right lubes.

Baby dust to all.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

2. Hyacinth

Hyacinth Senior IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this information :)

3. vidsb

vidsb New IL'ite

Thanks for the info. Also on one of the many fertility forums I even read of a woman who conceived thrice using olive oil as a lubricant since its ph is very similar to that of the semen.
    Adding my two bit to this post.. Evening Primrose capsules help increase the cervical mucous (which aids movement of sperms) and hence u wont even need a lubricant during ur most fertile days.

4. rashmi19

rashmi19 Bronze IL'ite

hi :);
    gud knowledge & thx 4 sharing the same.....
    Will help many of us hw r TTC

Rashmi

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

That's a good information. Thanks for sharing.

We are planning on trying next year and I have stopped taking wine/any alcoholic beverages many months ago, just to make sure. Many people told me its no necessary but why take a chance? Before I used to take 4 glasses of wine a week (I dont intend to resume until my baby is off the breast feeding cycle).
    About 2 months ago, my doctor suggested me that I go on prenatal vitamins, which i started taking. I have also started substituting decaf for coffee.

I was using KY jelly though. After reading this post, I realized that I should not use anything. Again, thanks a ton.
    And yeah, my husband also quit smoking; its been 6 months. Hopefully when we do try, its not going to take forever.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  6. priyankanath

priyankanath Gold IL'ite

All the best Rakhi. Am sure there wont be much wait. BabyDust to u.

Priyanka

7. bajan

bajan New IL'ite

Hi Rakhi,

Thanks for letting us know it helped you.

Also, just another suggestion. If you can, please observe your CM secretion / use LH tests to see when you are ovulating. It is better to start knowing your body from now on. Also, don't do this while you are actually TTC. Generally, people find it difficult to conceive when they think about it more and fall pregnant once they stop obsessing! So know your body now so that you can stay relaxed while TTC.

Baby dust to you. All the best.

8. vanicha

vanicha Silver IL'ite

Hello All,

I used to apply pure coconut oil for vaginal infections that may come occur for me, I have a doubt seeing this thread can i used for avoiding infection and as a lubricant during TTC - IUI cycle??????

9. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

May be you should avoid it during ic time. Other times it should be OK..