If God Exists, Why Isn't It Obvious?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 27, 2016.

Where do your stand on the belief spectrum?

1. Devout believer

2. Believer with some doubts

3. Agnostic (don't know)

4. Leaning towards atheism

5. Atheist

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP is back! I'm having trouble with multi-quote but I will try to get to every pertinent point. One request: please hold back your responses for a few hours. I want to get through these 20 pages before I handle the next barrage. Thanks!

What god is that who relies on blind faith to be worshiped? Is he afraid of reason? He can't stand logical scrutiny so he hides behind faith? The argument works both ways.

If a doctor told you, trust me but refused to prove he went to medical school, would you go to him? You place an even bigger trust in your god, yet you are willing to turn a blind eye to reason?

Logic has limits but those limits are logical. I understand those limits. Consequently I am fully aware of the boundaries of my knowledge. : ) Faith is illogical! I prefer something I can evaluate empirically despite the limits.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Srama likes this.
  2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

What is the whole intervene thingy? God is not policeman to intervene :)
    I think we should stop saying Why is he not intervening for yeh/woh, He is not a mediator or policeman!

ashima10, Akanksha1982 and Sairindhri like this.
  3. Gauri03

One says he is loving and protects us, one says he is just karma, one says he is not policeman. What is this 'The no true god' fallacy? : ) You folks don't agree amongst yourselves, how do you expect us to see your reason?

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Is there a planned reason why a child is 'let' to be raped or beheaded ?
    This is what makes me question.
    If God won't interfere the most innocent and helpless,then what is the use of being all powerful If atleast the children would be saved from the savages atleast...I would become a believer.
    Right now I am a weak Agnostic .Weak because when my loved ones are in trouble,I seek someone to believe in.

Rihana and Gauri03 like this.
  5. yellowmango

Then just a judge to pronounce guilty and not guilty ???
    If God can't intervene or mediate,then what good is the power?Why the need for one.
    The judging and punishing can be done by the judiciary

Rihana and Gauri03 like this.
  6. yellowmango

Even adults can't do much against the savages. The one being beheaded has no chance to use his /her instinct .

I agree with the rest of your original post.:grinning:

7. Gauri03

So much equivocation around this one point! One set of believers say god is loving and kind and merciful. He does his best for us. Why god needs to settle for his best is whole another story. Then we have the set that says he doesn't interfere - well then what exactly does he do? Is he not kind, or merciful?

If life carries on without the intervention of a greater power, then what is the need of such a power. We are managing by ourselves, aren't we?

Rihana and yellowmango like this.
  8. Gauri03

BTW, you are contradicting yourself. Your first post spoke of tests and leveling up. So your god does intervene as per your own admission. But he does so only to cause misery (give tests), not prevent it?

So he is the great tester?

Rihana and yellowmango like this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I wonder... Why isn't anyone here talking about that 'condemn worthy' parts of religion mentioned pages back? Because you guys are okay with the atrocities committed in the name of religion and culture? You may be a self made moral code following good human but what about the rest of world thats busy planning deaths by bomb attacks or is on the scavenger hunt for honor killings? What reasons other than 'for the sake of religion' you have got to justify such crimes?

GoogleGlass, yellowmango and Gauri03 like this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

*oh I know why the thread is silent now* *coz you can't skip and scroll yet* *no posts below!* *lol* *oh c'mon* *shoot me if you can!* *like God will intervene or show mercy!* *but modji will* *hiiide* :yum: