If God Exists, Why Isn't It Obvious?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 27, 2016.

Where do your stand on the belief spectrum?

1. Devout believer

2. Believer with some doubts

3. Agnostic (don't know)

4. Leaning towards atheism

5. Atheist

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

*k is in truth mode* *you know what these * mean when I put* *same same*

Others are here and talking when they are not here. When they are here talking the others are not here. The one who is always here is trolling anyway! What part of this says its a discussion space? Oh GOD only knows!!!

*wait... did I just pull an OJ - Brevity kind in the first line? * *heha!*

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Many points of view have been put forth. OP must respond before the discussion can progress. I'm the bottleneck here and everyone is being patient. These posts are dense and it takes me a few reads to crystallize my thoughts. If you want to complain, you only have me to blame. I'd be glad for someone else to respond on my behalf. How about you quit trolling and do that? : )

Laks09 likes this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

*Oh now you see me!!* *I get it!* *go offensive to be noticed* *both parties on the same page on this one though!* *k is the common ground* *heha*

Okay Modji. Message taken. : )

4. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

He is definitely omniscient! The intention of posting the picture was to show how much he protects us on daily basis (from the major accidents,crimes,etc) but we as humans has an eye to point out the minutes of mishaps.

His powers knows no limits so does his love, He lets the tiniest of rocks (problems, troubles) reach us so that we are aware of his power and love, so that we don't boast about our own abilities/health/wealth. All these are granted to us.

Yes, he can well snap a finger and make the rocks disappear, but there is a planned reason why it reaches us.

Lathasv and Sairindhri like this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

All my statements are based on what I have heard, read and whatever appeals to my own sense of reasoning.

Do I know?
    Of course not. I do not say I 'believe' or 'disbelieve'. The best I can say is I don't know.

Am I religious?
    Don't know. Depends on definition.

Do I believe in God?
    YES irrespective of whether it be the creating force, Nature, a power more powerful than anything known to the human mind ...... I can't conceive of any other way this entire Universe and all the perfection we see around us could exist.

Do I believe in a God with a form?
    Not unless there is any truth to the concept of aliens. (OK, now throw away that key and those shackles. I don't need to go to a padded cell as yet! I am harmless, I promise you that).

Do I believe in Karma? Does it make sense to me?
    Yes, it is about the only thing that makes sense when I try to find answers to all the inequities we see around us.

Is Karma a kind of punishment?
    No, it is just a plain phenomenon of cause and effect.

Why does God not intervene and prevent people from getting hurt?
    Because the laws of karma are immutable. Even when it concerns God Himself or Herself or Itself (whatever the case maybe). At best (S)He can help by giving us the strength to handle what happens.

What about rapes, murders and such horrible stuff that happens?
    Firstly, God gave us the power of discrimination to know the difference between good and bad, right and wrong. (S)He did not send us totally unequipped. If human beings decide to run amok, why blame God?

I recently read a book called "Your soul's plan" by Rob Schwartz. I don't know what to make of it. While I can digest some of the stuff, some of it is too hard for me to stomach. Read it if it interests you, though I suspect no one here would be able to accept that theory. I believe there is a sequel, but I have not read it yet.

Why did God create an imperfect world with good and bad, happiness and sadness?
    This answer is based on what made sense to me from a book I read. It is a popular series called "Conversations with God" by Neale Donald Walsh. First off, yes, even I find it hard to think anyone could have such an experience. Leaving that aside, the theory makes sense. This is what it said.

God 'exists' because of us or we 'created' God. If we don't believe in God, God cannot exist. God exists in our consciousness.

God being the Knower, knows that (S)He is perfect. But then that is just plain knowledge. Without experience knowledge cannot be 'known' in the complete sense. Therefore God created a world full of dualities: good, bad, perfect, imperfect, big, small .... Only then could (S)He experience His/Her perfection. Just as there is no light in the absence of dark or no dark in the presence of light, there is no Perfection in the absence of Imperfection.

I would be interested in reading various perspectives on this. It would help me hone my own understanding.

6. satchitananda

Shall excuse myself from that group. Have nothing against 'atheists' because again that is their 'belief', not knowledge. The honest answer is no one knows.

I am not ritualistic. I love seeing lamps lit up - it appeals to my aesthetic sense. Do I say prayers and do pooja? My prayers are my direct pow-wows with God. No I don't do pooja. I faced a lot of flak for that in my IL's home. My parents did their own thing and did not normally impose anything on us except when relatives from dad's side were around (and no prizes for guessing that it was my mom who used to get worked up about log kya kahenge. What kind of upbringing would they think we gave you). Yes, I was known as a problem child in the family though going by today's mores, I would have been an angel. :expressionless:

Akanksha1982, Laks09 and Sairindhri like this.
  7. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

edging a bit at 52.5% to 47.5% as of now...

8. satchitananda

:blush: Do statistics matter? Ultimately it is a person's belief or search for answers. Gnostics live content in the belief that there is someone up there to look after them, agnostics would say "Well, whatever" or continue to search and atheists have enough strength to live without God and trust in themselves. Again, believers would say, the soul/spirit is but a spark of the Divine, so in trusting in yourself, you trust in God. The argument can go on and is eventually endless.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  9. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

satchi we guys are out numbered definitely - the statistics might bring in more believers to rub salt on to our wounds :):):)

jskls likes this.
  10. satchitananda

How is one set of people's perspective rubbing on the 'wounds' of the other ..... and why should not believing be a 'wound'? There is no question of 'converting' anyone to one side or the other. It just means we have a lot of food for thought.