Pensée: E & G Chatter

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Oriana, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Red wine is the best I have, and some vodka. I don't care for vodka unless it's in a cocktail.

2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Oh you aren't invisible anymore!! Only a fair deal now, modji! :D

3. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

No swoony stories.
    These days Klingy and I are reading The 50 Best Books for Kids - How many have you read?
    Recently KV introduced me to his sibling and my inferiority complex just imploded.

I shall dictate ten posts on that sibling some other time but for now KV and his sibling are totally rewiring me.

I wake up with my head reeling. And when he is talking to friends, I always tug at him: "I don't understand, what is it. He patiently explains to me the subject, pun and the Harvard jargon"

kaniths likes this.
  4. Gauri03

That was on purpose! : )

kaniths likes this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

*these days K has no idea how to even write an one liner comebacks or responses to whatever cim is telling me!* *that dumb am* *she talks about her inferiority!* *duh* :facepalm:

6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Wine and story time! So what happened? You guys friends again? :D

7. Gauri03

Modji will finish the god dilemma and go underground for a bit.

8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

:rage:

Gauri03 likes this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

One last time. Why have an education forum if all you guys do or want to do is just vanish? My mentor rejected me, chose his pet as his protégé, crushing my heart coz all those years he was my inspiration! Ever since I m looking out for people who can help me learn a thing or two in life! How hard it is to stay around, put differences aside and just share knowledge? Cim, will your KV accept interns? I will fly over and join!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  10. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

My first brush with “learning aptitude” occured at a firm where I had a eight-lobed manager. He would walk into the meeting room casually and flip through our designs and profane at our pooh-pooh design (in my field of work swearing and intimidating are common). Instead of bristling at his unruly conduct, I'd gape at this formidable ally who has grasped our weeks of design in few minutes only to dismiss the design and reveal our logical flaws. He was a savant with gifted brain! I realised I could never match his superior cognition but I can still assimilate patterns, strategies and techniques he employs. Easier to invent his thoughts rather than invoke him in me. I can never be him yet with help and learning I maybe able to organise and construct my thought process like him.

Few years on, I had a Canadian friend who contributed largely to the talk and walk you see in me now. He plied me with links and books that I'm supposed to whisk into some juice and swallow. The delinquent me invariably came up with novel excuses that even Dante cannot decide which putrid circle of hell should I be sent for such wickedness. He followed up with excerpts from recommended books and trashy one-minute videos to enrage me. He could never enraged me to read those books but he did enrage me to reflect on his curiosity and learning aptitude. Took me a while to recognise that a curious appetite for ideas, concepts, and theories that are outside is essential to metabolise the inside of you. He introduced me to tools and sites that a kid would also be thrilled and not bogged down. So even today when I come across sites like Wonderopolis and TodayIFoundOut I email him.

Then came IL and Neurons. When I saw sokanasanah's “consubstantiation” post which alluded to Latinate translation woes of the Christian scribes, I had no clue about "consubstantiation". Who is St Augustine of Hippo, or, what are these Apologetics, Hermeneutics, or what happened between CS Lewis and Tolkien. There was a systematic learning curve for me in Neurons to learn the dot in “Turandot” to chit in “Chidambaram” .

sokanasanah's puzzles were not search-and-crack types. He flirted and teased a week piquing us to deconstruct his riddles. Even today when I come across tropes like below I clip them as memories.

JacquesDerrida.png

Today KV and his sibling totally work me up with their conversations. I don't want to smush everyone into the same rack because their engagement and influence is stratified. KV and his sibling are at the lowest rung in intellectual abilities in comparison to the aforementioned people, however, I find them very approachable and accessible in my life because they are aware and adore the rounded ignorant in me. They painstakingly explain to me motifs, puns, basically "concepts" in arts, sciences and literature that pop in their conversations.

I am not yet at a stage where I can influence someone like the way these people have done to me. I hope in 5-6 years I may be more confident of my hoarded knowledge to guide others. But what I am trying to point is that people fade, events fade but what should remain constant in your life is your zeal to learn and explore life. How does this diffuse learning affect you? You will be able to admire life immensely with such exposure to what people have done, how they have achieved things, why the world is the way it is and of course why I find Gauri's posts difficult to read these days

If we are running low on substantive contributions, I might invite his fraternity for guest lectures :D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    kaniths likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.