1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What Keeps You Going?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Laks09, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi all - I hope everyone is having a fantastic Friday and are all geared up for a great weekend.

I've been mulling about this for a while. We do put our health and wellness on the back burner for other things. I wanted to start a thread and brainstorm ideas.

How do you keep going when the going gets tough?

How do you restart after a break?

Isn't it harder to get back to especially if you know you have done better than this in the past? If it isn't something new, how do you keep the excitement going? And how do you keep finding new things to keep you motivated?

For running - I find new shoes, new routes, new music, clothes, new targets(maybe speed instead of endurance) etc helps.
    For other things - I haven't stuck to anything else. I always want to run first and then do whatever and sometimes it doesn't pan out.

Now, I'm back after an injury and want to do strength along with running but.......::......::
    You people know what I'm talking about right?

2. Kukudukuu

Kukudukuu Silver IL'ite

The smile on my LO and DH's face keeps me motivated :) when my son comes to me, he knows I'm upset, and asks 'amma, oshi hachhbekenu (you want me to apply medicine)' and he applies something and again asks if I'm okay and the pain is gone? I can only smile back and say how can I have any pain when you are here? and get back to normalcy :) that innocence, the smile, the affection he shows.. what more can one ask for :)

3. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

I've morbid fear of getting back to my teenage self (the greatest I weighed) and that fear keeps me motivated and alarmed at all times. I usually fluctuate 2-3 kilos annually and when I hit more than 4 kilos I retreat myself into a boot cocoon where I assiduously and obsessively shed off the excess till I weigh 50 kilos.

I buy new sneakers, track pants, socks, everything new and shiny. Then I weigh myself at the beginning of the regimen and periodically weigh every week thenceforth for the next 2-3 months and when I stabilize at 50 kilos I relax and don't bother for another year. The first week is the toughest to maintain the tempo, I usually give up 2-3 times and then on my 4th or 5th I pull myself through the first week. Once you are past a week of committed gymming, the second week becomes a pattern and the third a habit, from fourth you longer need any impetus. You just wake up from bed , brush and don't even question why you are going to gym.

I hate myself when I don't give my best to anything. Every season the principle remains the same but the methodology changes. This time we friends formed a whatsApp group and challenged in the style of the greatest loser — the winner is the one who has achieved set goals within the time frame.

I've not indulged in dancing for a while. So for fun I choreographed the song Uff - Bang Bang and surprised KV (my boyfriend). Though he was less impressed with my dance and more agitated with my antics (in his words: is there anything else you might want me to know about you). He almost fainted when he realized that I can flail my limbs to a St Vitus etude. I make up ways to keep myself entertainingly motivated.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  4. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

@Cimorene
    "I make up ways to keep myself entertainingly motivated."
    This.

creativemind23 and Laks09 like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Laks,

Welcome back. It definitely is much harder. I believe it takes twice as long as to get back to where we were when we drop off exercise routine. So if you have been off for 2 months, be generous to yourself and give yourself 4 months. Keeping that in mind has always helped me be realistic in my goals. The thought that I can get back to my normal self even if it takes a little while always helps me.

As for strength and other things you are trying to do, personally for me group classes work - they help me enough privacy that I can experiment yet push me just enough. See if you have an instructor who offers it for say 4 or 5 students. I cannot emphasize on how much group running keeps me going.

I have been off exercise and running routine for a couple of months but I am limping back. My goal for the gym is 3 days of spinning that I was on and for running to do a couple of half marathons only. Of course that little hope sneaks in may be a PR as always.

Keep up! even if all you are doing is just trying to get back. May be we can start posting in the running club again = I could use some cheering too.

justanothergirl and Laks09 like this.
  6. Laks09

So cute! Oshi hachbekenu brings back memories of En samachara thread. It's been a while since I peeked in there.

Yeah, my kids keep me grounded and are the reason I'm wanting to stay healthy.

Kukudukuu likes this.
  7. Laks09

Lol. I'm afraid of my post partum self. Now I see myself in my perimenopausal body and wonder whyyyyyyy. I'm a few more years away from 40, I eat right and exercise and never miss a physical. Until my injury, I didn't even know l was going through this. Now I know why I gained so much weight in three months!(well and the fact that I ate like I ran 30 miles a week)!

That's so true. Routine building helps.

The new gear is my go to treat for staying put with my routine.
    I'm done with week 1, so let's see how week 2 goes. It does take me a lot longer than a week and honestly anytime before hitting the 3 miles mark, I can talk myself out of that run and turn around to go home.

What's app group is a great idea. Im on so many groups that I might as well create a running group and ask people to join! I've got a lot of friends and family who run because of me and it'll be fun to get them to help me get back.

Ha ha ha! You crack me up. I'd love to catch w video of that :)
    Entertainingly motivated is the key. I better find ways to strength train that keeps me amused. I hate weights with a vengeance!

8. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Laks09,
    Getting back is hard. Sometimes I dont understand the inertia , but it sure is there. What works for me is going to the gym and group classes. Meeting up regulars some who cheer you up, some who prod you along with tips is all that gets me back on track. Despite this, I still have to drag myself over after breaks :-( , mostly I do, because I think of the fee paid being wasted.

Group lessons help me experiment a bit. I am, ahem, on the wrong side of forty, it is hard to balance the fine line between pushing yourself and over straining, The body doesn't forgive so easily, injuries take longer to heal. In my opinion strength and flexibility is more important than cardio. Cardio is important for weight loss though but the long term plan should be strength and flexibility.

9. Laks09

Hiya Sabi - Yeah, it takes a long time to get back especially since my friend is MIA as well. It's boring to do the long runs alone.

I love group classes too but lately my schedule has been doubly crazy and doesn't seem to ease up. I'm getting into the gym at 1:30 pm when nobody is around for teaching. Hence the inability to go back to yoga class. Group running is simmering at the back of my mind but we did get ourselves kicked out of the group by being no shows I need to find my way back into a group. Especially since my friend is still not able to run.
    I'm trying to run three miles thrice a week too. I managed to do that last week. Today is Monday and I've not yet been. I plan to get out tonight, it's scorching outside but my DD says a run by the lake will help!

Definitely going to revive that running club, there is a new one going. I'm hoping to hit a grand total of atleast 30 miles this month(which was my weekly mileage this time Last year) and go from there. Today is a good day to start its 8/1 :)

10. Laks09

I don't seem to be making friends in the Gym! I should start doing that. I don't even glance at other people in there. Once or twice I've had people stop me and ask training tips but I'm generally in and out and minding my own business. I used to be w regular in Zumba but I don't have the schedule flexibility to go anymore. I had friends there.
    I agree regarding strength. My doc will be in complete agreement too. He asked me to scale back on the weekly miles and hit the weights. I promise myself all that but hitting the road is addictive. Once I start back on my routine I'm signing up for a race every other month and before you know it I have a new PR goal in my head and I'm training 6 days a week for that. In definitely going to try and add strength in there.