1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Teething Trouble-

Discussion in 'Infants' started by blindpup10, Jul 30, 2016.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

My DS is 11 months and he is teething. His top front 2 teeth are showing and 1 bottom teeth is sprouting. This is a terrible time for him and me. He constantly wakes up at 4:30 AM these days. Until now he woke up at 5:30AM. I was ok with it. I had my whole day planned from keeping him occupied. However from past week... I am just loosing it... It's been rough from the time DS waking up at 4:30AM.

I asked my mother for suggestions- she tells me that when he wakes up at 4:30 AM I need to co- sleep with him.
    The problem is- We place our DS in the crib and the min he is with us. My DS likes to explore the bed and doesn't really go back to sleep. The min he is out of the crib.. he wants to be awake... no way he wants to sleep.
    Is this normal at this age?

We are hesitant to ask our Pediatrician to prescribe medication for his teething period.

What can I do? What am I not doing? Should I just bite and pull through this phase? Will this phase end? Please suggest anything.. at this point I just want that 1 hour of extra sleep.

My DS schedule
    4:30 – Wake up /Formula
    8:30 – Breakfast
    9:00 – Morning Nap (at least 1 hour)
    11:00 – Breast milk or Formula plus snack (Skips it at times)
    1:00 – Lunch
    2:00 – Early Afternoon Nap (at least 1 hour)
    3:00 – Breast milk or Formula plus snack
    5:00 – Dinner
    6:30 – Begin bedtime routine
    7:00 – Breast milk or Formula and Bedtime (goal to be asleep at this time)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016

2. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Dear...if you have the facility of a homeopathy dr. near your place...then consult the one....i started giving my both kids a medicine called Calcarea phos while they were 5 months till 2 years if age...
    By God's grace they never had any problem or irritable behavior...
    Your DS is perfectly normal his age...his getting up time also depends on when you put him to rest...

blindpup10 likes this.
  3. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

...sleep deprivation is what all new mothers face...try giving him dalia or khichadi at night...

blindpup10 likes this.
  4. blindpup10

@dc24
    Thank you so much. I looked into it.. apparently, it's available on amazon. I have ordered it. I will talk to our pediatrician and see what they will tell.
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

dc24 likes this.
  5. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

Hi blindpup10! How did your son respond when his other two teeth popped out, was it similar?
    I don't have personal experience yet, but by my observations, this should last only 3-4 days...so try to take it in stride..Having said that, its sure not easy, I agree... Had my LO refusing to eat solids for barely a couple of days, and that waa enough to bring the household to a grinding halt!!!
    Why are you reluctant to give meds/teething gel?
    Uhm...would your pediatrician be aware of homeopathic medicines? I doubt it.. please do not give any medicine to your child by just reading up about it online.. do not take risks, consult a reputable homeo practitioner to see if this will be suitable for your baby..
    Take care & hugs

6. blindpup10

@Bubbles-with the front top tooth he didn't wake up st 4:30!! Waking up at 4:30 is the only problem. DS isn't cranky or anything throughout the day. Pediatricians usually prescribe painkillers for teething. Teething gel don't stay for long.
    I spoke to our pediatrician today morning about the homeopathy meds suggested... Apparently, Calcarea is considered as just a supplement, not as a painkiller. When we picked our pediatrician we made a choice to go for the ones who would accept alternate medicine too.
    Thanks for the concern sweetie :kissingheart:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Bubbles likes this.
  7. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

That was a very thoughtful decision:thumbup:
    Do you think you can give him the bottle, say half an hour earlier? It would both soothe his gums and probably lull him to sleep. Its not the best advice, but maybe for just this once..
    I remember he was using a pacifier.. that doesn't help either ?
    You're right, the teething gel may not work for early morning..why are you anti-painkiller? You can give it a single dose for the night alone, just for a couple of days..
    What has your pediatrician suggested? Hope u get your morning sleep back soon.. Every minute of that is precious.. I know.. :rolleyes:

8. blindpup10

@Bubbles-
    Yea man.. coz we do alternate medicine just wanted to keep our options open.
    Along the lines of bottles before he wakes up I am considering an additional feed at 10 pm before I got to bed.
    Apparently, the pacifier isn't working. DS wakes up being hungry on some days and on others he just is awake and wants to start his day.
    The problem with pain killer is- We limit giving it to him on a non-continuous basis. With children Example- I will give Tylenol 10 time in a month around 1.25ml. Over a period of time, they grow used to it. And after 10 times (or a certain period of time) I will have to increase the dose. Although his weight may or may not have increased. And in case he falls sick in future Tylenol/ over the counter medication may or may not be effective on him.At that point our option may become to going for antibiotics.
    That is the strong hesitation to give him Tylenol or pain killers.

Really hoping the supplement will work. I really want it to work. I am so exhausted!
    We even tried to get him to sleep at 8 pm! Nope he automatically woke up at 4:45 AM on DOT!! :triumph:
    I have stubborn early raiser!

Bubbles likes this.
  9. Sairindhri

Sairindhri Gold IL'ite

Just give Tylenol. Just for few days.

I don't believe alternative medicine so will not advice you on that.

Cheers.

blindpup10 likes this.
  10. blindpup10

@Sairindhri- I think that's my last resort! If nothing is working I am going to just start on tylenol ! Man it's been a week that I actually got a good night sleep

Sairindhri likes this.