1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Start Psychiatric Treatment

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by ssg, Jul 30, 2016.

1. ssg

ssg Bronze IL'ite

Hello All,

How to start treatment to a psychological problem?. This is for my brother, see my previous posts. There has been no change in his negative thinking and suspicion on everyone.
    I did ask him many times to visit a doctor for a regular health check up and he doesn't go and shouts.
    Last year i went and begged him many times and he was very good and talked normal said he is absolutely fine. He is working in a big company and earns well.

However recently he did a fight with my neighbor for no reason and the way he talked my mom dad and i seriously thinking about taking him to psychiatrist.
    He will definitely not agree, should we give him sleeping medicine and take to hospital.
    my dad cannot move out of house due to his leg pains, so my mom alone has to do donno how.
    we cannot tell any relatives and take help coz if they come to know it will be even more horrible.

i dont know how to take him to doctor and how will he take counselling. please help if anyone knows

2. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Why don't you first speak to a reputed counsellor or psychiatrist in your area by yourself, explain the problem and he/she may advice you the best recourse that may be called for.

This bit of information indicates that he is somewhat functional, infact even highly functional if he is successful at work. Maybe there is nothing wrong with him. Or maybe there is - but very few will be able to accept a suggestion of visiting a psychiatrist like a champ, and even if they actually show up, most will drop out unless they are themselves convinced they need help.

You cannot involuntarily commit him unless he is considered clinically insane or has been diagnosed as a threat to himself or others. Mere shouting or feeling suspicious about things doesn't qualify him to be diagnosed as 'sick' - especially if that diagnosis is made by non-professionals.

Please do not commit a blunder by doing anything without his consent - it will be illegal. First see a counselor by yourself and examine what he/she has to say as feedback to your inputs. He may suggest bringing your brother in or he may even respond confirming that nothing needs to be done now. He may even have some ideas for you and your family - because only a professional is qualified to tell who has the problem, if at all, and what needs to be done. Please realize it will be illegal for a doctor to prescribe medication for a patient he has not himself seen and diagnosed. Even if he is diagnosed with some issue (depression / bipolar / schizophrenia etc) requiring medication, recovery comes from disciplined intake of medicines which in turn is possible only when the patient believes in the line of treatment. Medicines not taken regularly have the possibility of creating serious mental side-effects.

Hence, even if you take action, with the best of intentions, but without your brother's consent, it may amount to cruelty and may even result in tragic consequences.

In the interim, please stop telling your brother that he is sick and he needs treatment. It hasn't helped so far and I'm guessing that it will only rile him up.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    ssg and blindpup10 like this.
  3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

first you or ur mom find the doctor, go and talk, they will ask u to bring him, but as a starting point , they may give some medicine to start with.

ssg likes this.
  4. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

My close friend's husband had similar problem...she went to a reputed psychiatric dr...the dr. prescribed some medicine...which she used to give him in roohafza...as he's fond of this drink...he's much better now as he eventually visited the dr..

ssg, PRM575 and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. ssg

ssg Bronze IL'ite

Thank you all for the replies.
    I searched for good doctors and called them. They all said that my bro need to visit. There is no way he is going to agree and past 1 yr am not able to do anything even though day and night strongly wish to take him doctor.
    Only 1 doctor said that my father can go visit him and based on details they will think what needs to be done.

my mom dad are not able to understand properly and my dad himself is so sick and cannot move with his health condition.
    I went last oct to India and asked him so many times just for a regular doctor visit. he doesnt agree, i wasnt sure why even for a regular health checkup he shouted and refused so strongly. One time he got fever and even then he didnt go2 doctor. I am so worried abt my brother, and at same time cant do anything. so now until i go2 india again nothing can be done.