1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What are the things you usually buy in India on your vacation and get it back to USA?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by anika987, Feb 9, 2016.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

1-2 sarees, chudidar, garam masala, homemade ladoos, souvenir from the state we are taking a side trip to. My sisters shop for me all year long and even I have told them n number of times to not buy clothes/ bedsheets and what not...there is always a lot of stuff waiting for me . I pick a few things from their shopping that usually stay in my closet untouched and I can't bear to part with.

anika987 likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:) I have such a dirty mind!

What a coincidence just finished sorting some stuff and dresses from India that are new and totally unused.

anika987 likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Used to get this, but they are slippery. Once gently touched the car in front of mine, was driving with Kolapuri chappals. A kindly old oriental couple, let me go after talking a lot in Chinese or Vietnamese. After that day, I wear regular chappal when driving, and then change into Kolhapuri before alighting from the car. : ) Now, enthu has gone down, and Payless chappal works, even with Indian dresses.

dimhere and anika987 like this.
  4. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

1. New Indian clothes, accessories for DH, me and kids
    2. Glass bangles (I love them with Indian wear)
    3. Specialized Indian kitchen accessories - Samosa cutter, murrukku maker, panipoori water serving ladle
    4. Very small oil dispensing bottle to ration out oil for the week. (similar to syrup serving bottle in US)
    5. Netted zipped bags to separate vegetables in the fridge tray (similar to mesh wash bags in US, but at 10% the price)
    6. Silver earrings with screw-type behind for my DD for daily wear, as she loses the press-type ones.
    7. Lots of snacks (savories) to munch on, and a few Mysore Pak boxes.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Rihana likes this.
  5. Smi123

Smi123 New IL'ite

Hi! Am a newbie here as we are relocating to USA. To New York and specifically to westchester county.
    I had questions on the same lines , except this time , I would want to know, what can I pack in my shipment.. I am a tambram - based in Mumbai.
    I am planning to ask in Mumbai in a coup,e of stores if they will convert an ultra grinder to USA voltage and a mixie as well.. Will it be too silly to pack sesame oil , chapathi atta and pulyogare paste etc in shipment?
    Any advise and tips gratefully received,
    Thanks!

6. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

@Smi123, for shipment, I think the best would be to pack your indian utensils and mixer. The universal adapter here should work well that mixer. For grinder, you can buy it here. If you like to grind your own masalas, Cuisinart coffee bean grinder is good. I got mine under $20 in NY. you will easily get the Oils, chapati atta, and all other food items in NY easily in any cash and carry grocery outlets. There are a lot of indian stores around westchester county as well, or you can get a bulk order when you visit indian stores for your monthly grocery.
    Good luck for the move!

7. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

Cotton kurtis
    Ubtan powder for diwali
    Kalnirnay
    Cotton bedsheets
    Good pair of floaters for summer
    BHajani flour
    Bakarwadi and amba barfi
    Some good books in marathi

8. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Where do you buy silver jewellery from? Last time I checked in Sukra's there wasn't much variety. Still managed to snag a couple of earrings :)

9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I go to Sukra, GRT and Tara Jewelry on Kutcheri Road. Tara is a small shop, not fancy and almost like a potti-kadai but they have interesting varieties. Sukra keeps some unique pieces inside and will bring them out if you ask. My last visit was almost 3 years ago and I'll be going again soon so I hope things haven't changed!
    I haven't bought from them, but I have been looking at Amrapali's collections online. The prices are high for some items but the variety of designs is excellent. I think they have a showroom in Chennai, so I plan to check it out when I visit.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    butterflyice likes this.
  10. Mysterylook

Mysterylook New IL'ite

You get Preethi Mixie in US Voltage itself. I purchased one from India 5 yrs back. It works wonderfully.

dimhere likes this.