1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Behave When In Laws Are Around

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SimplelLife, Jul 29, 2016.

1. SimplelLife

SimplelLife Silver IL'ite

hi ladies.. Once again I am here for your guidance... As I said before i am a housewife and pregnant and in laws are coming here 3 months prior to due date :rolleye::rolleye: the day they got pregnancy news they and husband dear and Bil co sis planned everything.. :facepalm:And officially informed me 15 days back though I get to know from many sources before :banana::banana: along with them some extra baggage a will all also visit for some days as well called Bil and co sis:(.
    Some background about co sis, she is a cunning yet talkative girl, married few months back and a real chamachi of mil, rest of the relatives does not like her and she backbites about me in relatives when she was a newlywed which turns against her image in drastic ways:clap2::clap2: since she is her favorite son's wife and favors mil and her side people so much and company mil in her bitching and every such stuff mil now try to make her good report in relatives and mil lies about me .even once mil told me people does not like co sis because you are over their head, she has problem in that as well :roflmao:. I was so happy hearing this. Now a days I talk to her very limited .Now I am thinking how should I behave when these people are around so no conflicts arises or she does nt get a chance to lie. She pores lies about me in DH ear and plays very sweet in front of him.FIL is a money minded man but not as bad as mil... Should I favor him as mil is very jealous when some one else is appreciated:clapclap::clapclap:.. I never wanted to be mean and playing games but I guess this is the only way.. She does the same when I visited them she treated special to DH by making his fav dishes and ignored me. Since they are visiting here first time should I focus on FIL only and when things come up praise co sis over mil and make her jealous. I know none of them is my friend but wants to show her what she is doing so far. Please ladies put your inputs about the ways to irritate her in sweet manner:cheer::cheer:

2. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,

Why do you want to irritate her? and why do you want to take revenge on her? I agree she did bad to you, but do you want to follow the policy of eye for an eye? or forget the past and move on with your life?

They are coming to your home, so they are your guests, treat them in a good manner and make them feel comfortable at your place. I understand they tried to project you as a bad person infront of relatives (which you are not), but by irritating or taking revenge on them will definitely make you a bad person now. Forget what they did earlier, now they are coming to your place to help you. So be nice with them and ignore whatever they talk.

Also, being a pregnant it is not good for you to have these kind of negative thoughts at the moment. Keep yourself calm and try to be nice with them and ignore if you do not like anything about them.

SimplelLife and blessings1010 like this.
  3. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Dear.... you are pregnant now and in due course of time will deliver your baby. Postpartum period is a tough phase as woman gets physically drained after labour and has the additional responsibility of caring and feeding her baby...don't spoil your relations with your mil and co sis....you might need their help when you deliver..instead treat them very sweetly and when they go back they should have sweet memories with them...
    That way at least you can request them to help you during your delivery and postpartum period.

SimplelLife likes this.
  4. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Agree with @kcb and @dc24. Your pregnancy time is so precious. Use this time to rest, bond with baby, keep yourself happy and try not to think about the upcoming visit. IT is hard, I know. But unless they cancel their travel plans or some other miracle happens, they are coming. In the meantime, you have the biggest miracle with you. Your baby will make everything worthwhile. Keep your thoughts and mind busy on only happy things and happy people. Let others waste their energy on mindless tricks and plans. Watch some fun comedies on netflix, baby videos or fun dramas. When they come, hook them up with responsibilities around the house for first 1 month or so. After that your baby will keep them busy. Stay happy stay relaxed.

Oh yeah and those rules you mentioned in the other post (Which I loveeee), print them out for you or keep them saved on your phone as a reminder when ILs or Co-sis irritate you. Those rules you mentioned are like the 7 commandments of a married life. I have them saved on my phone for easy reference.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Cutie1991, dc24 and SimplelLife like this.
  5. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

I agree with the others...nothing works in these cases only that you will feel more frustrated. I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to in-laws the less I talk, the better. The more you try to defend yourself, the more you fight and its a never ending battle. I know they are coming for long time, so ensure you have develop some new hobbies that will keep you engaged. I generally stay away from the kitchen and cook for myself when its free (I cook healthy meals so i couldn't eat that stuff anyway). Less fights that way about who is doing what and how I should cook. You have the excuse of being pregnant. So you can say that you want to eat healthy.

dc24 likes this.
  6. SimplelLife

Thanks you so much for the reply and showing me a different perspective but why we dil 's are meant to do all good things. She created a rift between me and DH, trying to project me bad that too by lying imaginary things.. Lied at my family.. Lied to DH and these are not old issue, she is doing it when I am pregnant.Never ask me my well being even when I am pregnant. I am emotionally drained out. How can I accept that she is coming here to help me.. It's just a chance for her to see a different country.
    Offcourse I will be nice with her, I was just saying being some extra nice with other people say FIL. I will do everything but just don't feel like treating her my family.. She will be honored as guest . Is it wrong if I want her to feel exactly same as I felt? Other than that I will not going to do anything.you said it right ignoring things will be good for me.

7. SimplelLife

Thank you so much everyone for your quick response:)
    @dc24 @blessings1010 and @vibha_81 I think you all are right that I should not waste my energy on mindless tricks and plan for my well being but you know due to so many things and so much differentiation I developed a recentment for mil... Even at this point I feel like it's better if she does nt help me.. I just dont expect and accept anything from her. She treated me like an outside before and every time I tried to make my self understand and prepare myself mentally to mend with her she does something.. Pores something into DH's ears and I came to ground zero again.from so many time I was not saying anything to DH.. Saying ok for everything asked for that he tells me I am doing so because I am pregnant. He has issue if I react or don't react but can not see his mom is lying. Thanks Blessings1010 for reminding me my rules:):) I will follow them too.
    @vibha_81 even when I talk less it is an issue for them, even when I talk to them they have complains that I praised someone other than her ( which I did unintentionally) yeah you are right I think I need to stop defending myself but I stopped saying anything good or bad about them to DH.. I just don't talk about them. If I will cook or just cut fruits for myself only then that will be a big issue. There is issues on drop of the hat and that's too you come to know after so many months in some fight and before that you have to go through so much tantrums and never ending recentment from DH. I am so emotionally drained out. Even I have no acceptation left from him as well. Ya I started doing some craft work, wall decor to divert myself. Thanks all for your kind support

vibha_81 likes this.
  8. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

IF I may, Her time will come soon honey. Let her karma unfold at that time. IF you want to and if it feels better, talk your heart out with her at the right time, post delivery when you will have your baby
    oh dear, I know that frustration when you try hard to gel with MIL and try to forgive and forget the past, one day goes normal and next day she is back to her usual self. I felt that so many times. Earlier I used to write to vent out my frustration but that was too dangerous. MIL has a habit of going through my stuff. One such day when I didnt know what to do anymore, I came across IL and few other DIL blogs. I vented out so bad initially. Every post i read, I saw something similar in my case. The more i wrote here, the more I felt better, dare I say pretty good. I am able to go on with MIL only because of that. Even though she visits us for short time and i stay away from her almost all day, venting out is essential- for all of us. Especially myself and DH. There is only so much my guy can listen to. So come here, vent all you want but once done, put on your fav music, read ur fav books, do whatever u like to do and try to relax. Pour your emotions here, but once done, try to forget them. IF you keep anger inside you for long time, especially in this delicate time, it will only be uncomfortable for you and the baby. When I vent out here and my Devil-in-law creates another raucous drama at home, I am able to smile at her. She just keeps wondering about my reaction. Now with almost a month of joining here, I see that her dramas are not affecting much. DH happy, Me happy and she is going nuts. Consider us as your non judging soundboard.

Bubbles, dc24 and SimplelLife like this.
  9. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Dear...just follow Minimalistic approach...minimum talk...minimum interactions....start doing meditation...it has soooo soothing effect....will help you stay calm and hence very good for your baby...
    When these ladies bother you....just take deep breaths to the count of 10...just imagine the sweet face and little soft fingers of your little one holding yours...and release your breath slowly.....
    You will be much relaxed.....

10. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

@vibha_81 even when I talk less it is an issue for them, even when I talk to them they have complains that I praised someone other than her ( which I did unintentionally) yeah you are right I think I need to stop defending myself but I stopped saying anything good or bad about them to DH.. I just don't talk about them. If I will cook or just cut fruits for myself only then that will be a big issue. There is issues on drop of the hat and that's too you come to know after so many months in some fight and before that you have to go through so much tantrums and never ending recentment from DH. I am so emotionally drained out. Even I have no acceptation left from him as well. Ya I started doing some craft work, wall decor to divert myself. Thanks all for your kind support[/QUOTE]

Husbands should understand but alas most of us are unfortunate in that aspect! With my MIL If I talk a lot I reveal things which get twisted and told to everybody in a bad way..If I don't talk they say that I don't talk..I find that one single complaint is better so I stopped talking gradually. Go somewhere where they are not around and vent out aloud or even open a daily vent thread and post here:) its very soothing to do 15 min a day than thinking all day about them..All I would tell you is that since this will be there forever try acquiring the skill of spacing out...try doing 63*78:blush: and keep nodding your head (chicken head shake), they may think you are listening:) My FIL was a gem but unfortunately he passed away, my bad luck! I used to talk to him more about general things..may be you could do the same with your FIL so that they cannot say that you ignore your in-laws.

Stay safe and All the best with your pregnancy!!