1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Voices!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Jul 29, 2016.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Well. We hear them! A lot of them everyday actually! Most of us!
    If not from other people and living and nonliving things around, at least from the media and phones.
    And a prolonged period of being alone may drive us to a madness that we end up hearing our own sad voice as well.

And at times we wish we hear none of these too. Interestingly I found that I could recollect only a select few of all that I have heard ["Thats what I've been saying for a long time!", says my better half too] and of course was genuinely surprised. Why did these alone stay? I could not attribute any particular reason for this, yet it was good to have that trip down the fragile memory lane. Interestingly, the faces of these people have been lost, I don't know when. Only the voices remain.

The umbrella repair man who strolled all the streets to get one or two orders a day then, shouting "koda rippeer!", comes first. It has been three decades since I have seen or heard him, but the voice still remains fresh. Next comes the vegetable vendor from whom we never bought [not even once till we moved out of that house]. shouting "koththameelee! kareeppila, keeraa!", followed by the puffed rice and roasted groundnut vendors [husband and wife] whose distinct voices as well as their measuring units of several sizes comes to mind. He shouted "Poreeeeeeeee!" and after his demise, she came shouting "poreemmaaaa!" with a clear requesting note.

Then comes those voices of famous radio news readers like Saroj Narayanswamy and drama artists whom we heard in the radio. One notable voice that immediately comes is that of Heron Ramasamy, followed by the famous R.S. Manohar. It seemed like their voice substituted them for me whenever I hear them. One of my relatives choked while saying that he heard Poornam Viswanathan announcing the Independence for our country on 15th August 1947 in the radio news [Akashvani?]. And of course, I am awed whenever I hear those rare audio clippings of Gandhi. Interestingly, the viewing of some videos of people whom I heard before, reduces the effect of their voices somehow to me.

And of course our loved ones, who moved apart, elsewhere - their voices are enough to bridge the gap, be it a thousand miles or so. In fact, we would have pushed ourselves a lot and conveyed our love more freely to them while being away, but not while we live with them [after they return]. Not to miss the ones who left without a physical trace, but mostly remembered by their voices, acts and past presence. During those memorable days, we even get dreams and out of nowhere, we might have heard and seen them too. Ah! There are those voices that you hear from within, not anything known to you at that state of mind.

Voices in general bring in a lot of relief and are felt when missed just like anything else. Besides, that haunting monotone of the cuckoo hidden somewhere, keeps coming to you, at times in real and at times in mind, leading to many questions and finally leaving a longing so big! I may voice my observation about voices in writing nonstop, but then have to stop at some point - here!

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Very true RG dear, I was just thinking about the same that it is so silent , you feel happy when you hear voices , feel there is life around when you hear the vegetable vendor. Now a days less voices are heard from the vendors

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  3. rgsrinivasan

Yes, now we have malls and big shops that procure directly from the sources and add a lot more to the price, Viji madam.
    And there is something that I felt - You may feel like you would explode with the voice within you at times when you are quiet and practising meditation. Thanks for your like and feedback. -rgs

iyerviji likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS,

Through this snippet, you brought pleasant memories of my young age. "Kolammavuuuu" is one of the voices I recalled besides "Paal ice" from the famous company Rita in Mylapore. We lived in Thanjavur Road in T. Nagar at that time. "Thodappammaaa Thodappam" is another voice. "Paluumma Palu" is another voice that I can never forget. I remember the days when the milk vendor used to bring the cow or buffalo to the house and tell someone to supervise him drawing the milk directly as many women used to complain that he mixes water into milk if he brings on his own.

Viswa

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

These are the voices of street vendors, who call out short slogans and attractive phrases to advertise their goods to customers.

Using the voice as their most powerful tool for advertising, these street vendors draw in customers for a sale.This is a powerful nature given advertising skill.
    kola maavu, kadal vaazhai for fish and vaalai palem ( for bananas) are just ringing.Even today in mofussil bus stands they shout-'madure, madure, tiruchi' and so on to attract passengers.
    In those days touring theatres advertised only thro roaring voices"gopala, en Sir, enge pore, kadakki poren,-then starts the cine dialogue'.With a deafening drum sound they came in a bullock cart and all children followed shouting behind them.
    It is common to address the vendor by the name of the product--" e thodappam, e kuppaikara' etc.
    I remember an instance in our village.A textile vendor was selling blouse pieces" he used to shout-seetti eduththaalum onnarai roopaai, voil eduththaalum onnarai roopaai, poplin ediththaalum athe onnarai roopaai'

A naughty boy came and vomitted in front of the vendor and demanded for one rupee and 50 paisa from the vendor.As the vendor was blinking the notorious boy said" you only said, voil eduththaal onnarai roopaai"( very often vomitting is referred to as 'voil eduththal in Tamil'.

Despite their destitute conditions, almost all street vendors have the loudest and strongest voices for all to hear, perhaps conveying an inner sense of confidence.

This confidence exists within each and every one of us as well in that voice. The inner voice, which sometimes gets suppressed, tries to find the courage to call out.

The voices of street vendors perhaps send a greater message that even in the times of greatest difficulty, we just have to call out.

This voice, although difficult to find for some, is our biggest savior. Because when no one else comes to help, you have your voice. Just remember to use it.
    Dear RGS Sir,you made a treasure out of a shrill voice.
    Jayasala 42

vaidehi71, sindmani and rgsrinivasan like this.
  6. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

Very well written snippet on "Voices"... Agree with above lines and your's Post brings backs some memorable voices in my life.Thank you for sharing here.

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  7. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for sharing your childhood experience regarding other voices Viswa.
    Happy to note that there were people of that milkman's variety who were proud in what they were doing and were ready to prove the blaming folks wrong. Just to add - Quite recently went to "Kalathi stall" in Mylapore and had that famed rosemilk that they make.
    Sure it was delicious after a long walk. Someday I may attempt writing about things that I enjoyed during childhood. -rgs

kaniths likes this.
  8. rgsrinivasan

That was a lovely feedback Jayasala madam. While I just brought the voices that I remember, you are bringing in their skill and the way of advertising through your post. Sure you have a keen observation right from the start. I recollect my parents saying about cinema advertisements in bullock carts and the crowd of children running behind to get the pamphlets. People too were a lot more inquisitive about what they bought during those days and that is understandable as they spent their hard earned money after a tight check.

With the advent of online sale too, there are a number of catchy slogans and shouts and short videos that cloud our decision.
    We tend to buy anything online now, and are a bit relaxed in spending our money. Also, we are used to flaws and claim that less flaw the better, these days. Does that reflect our own state as well?

Thanks again for your nice feedback. -rgs

kaniths likes this.
  9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks LathaSv for your appreciation and feedback. Happy to get your feedback and will read if you post your experience too. -rgs

Lathasv likes this.
  10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear rgs,
    We all remember voices of venders, friends and relatives which we were familiar with.

But there are people who imagine they hear voices in their brain or ears while others are not able to hear the same. It clearly shows that they have mental health problems.

some people hear a voice as part of a spiritual experience. This may be a very special experience and one that may help them make sense of their life.

People who have high temperature or traumatic experience hear voices due to delirium.

Your snippet made me to think in a different angle regarding voices because of my experience with people who had the above mentioned problems.
    PS

rgsrinivasan likes this.