If God Exists, Why Isn't It Obvious?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 27, 2016.

Where do your stand on the belief spectrum?

1. Devout believer

2. Believer with some doubts

3. Agnostic (don't know)

4. Leaning towards atheism

5. Atheist

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

should be happy that it would form a thread of reference for the different belief systems or no belief systems - if no one attempts to get it locked :)

even if it gets locked - still it remains as a thread like the forgone creator seems to :)

2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Boss! She is the mod here! :facepalm:

GoogleGlass likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why should it get locked? The thread is being actively moderated.

GoogleGlass likes this.
  4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

i didn't forget that, boss has a senior management too :)
    oh then i must remember what i post - i tend to forget usua(si)lly :)

5. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Gauri. I have nothing more to add here.

6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Watch Jungle book. My guess it will grow as a species that follows the law of nature.
    Have u seen any animal performing any evil ? no evil, no corruption, no crime.

GoogleGlass likes this.
  7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

this what I rambled about, here last night? you skipped didn't you? ha ha you too! :yum:

GoogleGlass and jskls like this.
  8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

//ouch! the owl is here! no silliness before him!!! : ))

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I didnt see any point in convincing anyone. I trust my personal experiences esp when I get access to information something beyond this realm of existence. That convinces me we exist even without this body. It's my experiences that made me look deep within and made me conclude there is some Supreme force that exists. I have also mentioned my idea of God is not business. Which means he is not going to lift his finger for anything. My conclusion is one has to find it for themselves. I dont force religion or god even on my children. Rituals I see them just as discipline. Nothing more.

sindmani, blessings1010 and kaniths like this.
  10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Years back, in the ‘50s to be precise, an organised group of non-believers decided to take their cause to the streets. They started breaking the idols of Lord Ganesha in public places and displayed some highly abusive posters about Hindu gods! My dad was quite dismayed about this development and told us ‘Why can’t the believers and non-believers live their respective lives quietly in keeping with the dignity of their respective faiths? What is happening now doesn’t augur well for the future. This may sow the seed for violent animosity among people of different faiths.”

My granddaughter once asked me, ‘Grandpa, if God is everywhere, why is there so much suffering?’ and before I could respond, my daughter butted in saying, ‘If you make all the mistakes and commit all the sins, why do you bring in God?’ To a great many of us, God exists only to redress our sufferings and I know a few who banished God from their hearts because their sufferings continued unabated! I even know a few who switched their gods (religion) hoping that the other god would be more sympathetic to his sufferings! It is then obvious that man only considers God as a Saviour and his very faith is founded on that understanding.

Einstein once said, ‘I believe in Spinoza’s God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings.’ Unfortunately most of the world’s religions sell their concept of God by presenting him as a Saviour. There is an inherent risk in it. If god’s image as a Saviour gets eroded by the calamities, both man-made and natural, that keep happening all the time, people start wondering why their God is incapable of doing anything about it. Believers become doubtful and circumspect.

In my own family, I have observed a shift towards subdued faith. They think that the man-god relationship should not be one that gets us mired in rituals but should be spiritually elevating. Einstein says, ‘The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It will transcend a personal God and avoid dogma and theology encompassing both the natural and the spiritual. It will be shared on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, considered as a meaning for unity!’

At the age of ninety five, Will Durant wrote a short book of elegant prose, giving ideas on almost everything. The book is ‘Fallen Leaves’, the last personal work of Will Durant. There is a chapter on ‘Our gods’. I just quote randomly from the Chapter: ‘There is so much suffering in this world and so much of it apparently undeserved, so much war, destruction, crime, corruption and savagery, even in religious organisations, that one finds it hard to believe that all this exists by the permission of an all-powerful and benevolent deity.’

‘Periodically, in history, man’s concept of God changes as man’s knowledge and moral sense improves; and these epochal transvaluations can upset not only philosophers and saints but also whole nations and eras. We live in such an age when the revelations of science and history have made it impossible for developed minds to believe in that ‘grim-beard of a God’ who frightened our forefathers into decency’

‘Let me then keep the word ‘God’ for that inventive vitality, abounding fertility of nature, the struggle of ‘matter’ to rise from atomic energy to intelligence, consciousness, informed and deliberate will, to statesmen, poets, saints, musicians, scientists, and philosophers. Let us have something to worship’